gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 02:32:17 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 587987 times)
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #330 on: April 03, 2008, 02:45:29 AM »

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to go about this novel, though. I guess I should do a proper outline of the story and plan the thing to some extent. I'm quite conscious of something the Borderlands panel said about 'letting the story out', though. I think it was Tom Monteleone who said people would ask him what he was working on, so he'd tell them the story he was working on, but then after he'd done that, the story seemed to fall flat when he tried to write it. F Paul said the same thing. For one of his novels he went overboard on prep work - produced the most detailed outline he'd ever done, which ran into dozens of pages, but then when he came to write the thing he found he had no enthusiasm left for it - he'd let the story out already, and once it was out there was no recapturing it.

Yeah, I know that connundrum. I've been there and done that. Now I keep it all inside until it's written. At least, as far as telling the story to people goes.

To outline or not to outline, is something I've never really got to the bottom of. I think, at last count, I've written 5 novel length manuscripts, only one of which had anything resembling a plan (and that was merely a three page outline). The others have just gone where they want (which was partly the intention - to see if I could focus on one piece for the duration). Of these, one had to be totally rewritten as everything was too easy for my hero, and another falls flat because key plot elements simply don't work. In both casing, planning would have saved me a lot of time. Furthermore, the number of novels I've started writing and never completed because I've written myself into a corner number far more than 5. In each case some forward thinking could have saved me a lot of time.

But who's to say that, had I planned them, I wouldn't have lost interest because I'd let the story out?

Having said that, next time(*) I think I shall plan a novel in more detail. I'm not a quick writer and I don't think I can afford the luxury of spending a year 'just seeing how something comes out'.

(*) Hopefully soon. I have several self-imposed exercises and targets to complete/reach before I commence on the next epic, but I'm already looking forward to getting back to my true love  rolleyes

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #331 on: April 03, 2008, 03:20:53 AM »

but I'm already looking forward to getting back to my true love  rolleyes

Derek

Who, Bessie the fat lass from number twenty-five? huh

Yep - same here, Del. I haven't got the time or the inclination to write something of that length without the slightest idea of how it'll turn out. I do it with shorts, but quite often find the 'story' too late in the process of writing it, so the upshot is that I'll end up with a story that doesn't quite hit the mark without a significant alteration/re-write. Something you don't want to do when the story's 80,000 words long scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #332 on: April 03, 2008, 03:41:14 AM »

I wrote a decentish bit last night but tonight, I'm sitting here with my head totally whirling, listening to too many dead voices. Can't seem to get into the right space. Not one of my planned ideas is sounding the right chord.

This being a writer thing is a pain in the butt. I know the words will come out ... eventually. They just hate being forced.

Have you found yourself a comfortable little nook to write in yet, Donna? That makes a big difference to my productivity. Ever since I got myself a nice desk and a decent chair my work output has taken a nosedive. What I want is a big soft chair in a cosy little room, and a keyboard with a long wire on it, so I can slob around in the chair and still write.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
canadian
Coroner

amphibian

« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2008, 07:31:16 AM »

Yup, I've got an office with a comfy chair and a wireless keyboard and a door that shuts. Just don't have the necessary energy at the moment. I started yet another new job (third one in two years) a few months ago and am still finding my feet there. It's draining.

If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #334 on: April 04, 2008, 04:15:36 AM »

See, I didn't even know you could buy wireless keyboards  rolleyes  I feel a visit to PC World coming on...

canadian
Coroner

amphibian

« Reply #335 on: April 04, 2008, 07:05:57 PM »

My whole world changed when my son moved back in with me a few years ago. He came with really cool computer equipment. Of course, I had to upgrade mine just to keep up appearances! Ended up with a flat screen monitor (which freed up loads of space on my desk), a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse. If you get them, Ed, make sure you keep a supply of batteries on hand. There's nothing worse than running out of juice and having no replacements when you're in the middle of doing something on the PC.

If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #336 on: April 05, 2008, 03:50:52 AM »

OK, will do - I had a wireless mouse a while ago and seem to remember batteries running out once or twice. I suppose there's always a down side to everything, but at least I'll still have the old keyboard to plug back in if I ever get really stuck afro

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #337 on: April 06, 2008, 07:11:27 AM »

Bought both a wireless mouse and a keyboard last night afro Looking forward to getting them hitched up later on today, so if I'm offline...

Anybody else get a dump of snow last night? I couldn't believe it when I woke up this morning to see a white landscape. It was like summer here yesterday - T-shirt weather, FFS scratch This morning, 8AM, my kids were out in the village having snowball fights and building snowmen. They loved it. Funniest part is, we didn't get any snow at all throughout the winter months - only a bit of sleet. Then sping comes and, boof! - snow Shocked

delph_ambi
« Reply #338 on: April 06, 2008, 07:50:29 AM »

Snowed off and on all day yesterday - motored up Teesdale, and it was even prettier than usual. Just looked out the window and it's snowing again. One of my pupils told me she'd be going to Whitby today, so it was bound to snow, as it always snows when she goes to Whitby. So there you go. We can blame her.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #339 on: April 07, 2008, 04:24:42 AM »

Are you still allowed to cane students? huh

On a separate note - I see Geoff's back from his hols. I bet he's feeling the nip in the air after getting accustomed to the warmth of Cyprus.

How was it, Geoff - did you have a good time? Hope so smiley

SamLeeFreak
Coroner

Come here, let me creep you out.

« Reply #340 on: April 07, 2008, 01:46:57 PM »

My back is in fucking agony. The man of the house and I spent Saturday gardening, and I used by back more than my legs. I'm hopeless when it comes to doing stuff like that right. Anyway, I was useless Sunday and he had to plant my Japanese tree my himself pretty much. He's so virile and manly  grin

Today I'm laying on the recliner waiting for the over the counter pills to kick in so I can walk the dog and have lunch. Unless I feel a lot better soon, laundry and writing is out of the question  Cry
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #341 on: April 07, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »

A bit of exercise would probably get it moving and feeling better - it'll be agony while you do it, but feel much better afterwards. Maybe try swimming to start with. If all else fails, a trip to the osteopath or a decent chiropractor will usually sort it out quickly and relatively painlessly. Hope you're feeling better soon, Ash afro

I cleared out my greenhouse over the weekend - that's about as close as I want to get to gardening. (love to sit in a nicely kept garden, but hate all the farting around that goes into keeping it that way). We picked up four tomato plants, two cucumber plants and a melon, too. We also picked up a few spuds to grow in dustbins - we asked the owner of the garden centre how to go about doing it properly. He gave us good advice and handed us a bagful of seed potatoes free of charge. Well chuffed, I was smiley

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #342 on: April 10, 2008, 04:47:59 PM »

Well, I had an interesting day today. Was working away quite happily when a random cable decided to stab me in the back of my hand, at which point I rapidly discovered it to be live with 250 volts 50 hz 30 amps. Is that burnt pork I can smell? scratch

My whole arm still aches from the belt it gave me. Just you wait until I see that damned electrician tomorrow pissed

SamLeeFreak
Coroner

Come here, let me creep you out.

« Reply #343 on: April 10, 2008, 04:57:54 PM »

Shocked
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #344 on: April 11, 2008, 03:13:28 PM »

Yum. I've just finished cooking and eating my tea (tea = dinner in England, and dinner's at lunch time, BTW). I made myself fried lamb chops, mashed spud (creamed potato), petits pois (small peas), runner beans and Bisto gravy (gravy = sauce made from meat juices and vegetable stock, not your weird soup stuff). It was very tasty wub I like my own cooking - does that make me a bad person?

Wifey's taken the kids away for the weekend with her friend and her friend's kids, down to Bideford in Devon, so that means a whole weekend of blessed peace for me dance I might even get some writing done, for a change huh

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx