gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 15, 2017, 03:18:07 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589254 times)
JonP
Critter

« Reply #360 on: April 22, 2008, 04:20:52 AM »

There was a nice gag on The Now Show the other week about James Blunt's vocal style being an example of "extraordinary rendition"  grin

delph_ambi
« Reply #361 on: April 22, 2008, 06:13:14 AM »

You blokes just can't stand the fact that lots of women (self included) think he's gorgeous.  grin
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #362 on: April 23, 2008, 04:02:42 AM »

Watched the Liverpool - Chelsea match last night and remembered why I'm a rugby fan. 90 minutes of my life gone, just like that.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #363 on: May 01, 2008, 02:18:35 AM »

Good morning Angry My eldest woke me up at 4:45am because of a bad dream, then just as I was dropping off back to sleep, he woke me up again, and again, and again. When he finally left me alone I was already wide awake and couldn't get to sleep again, so here I am, bleary eyed, yawning and thoroughly pissed off, having not slept since 4:45 Angry

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #364 on: May 01, 2008, 09:48:08 AM »

Ug, Ed. I'm sorry, but believe me, I've been there! My advice: coffee and lots of it!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #365 on: May 01, 2008, 02:10:16 PM »

Thanks for the sympathy, Angela - you would think I'd be used to this type of thing by now, but I can't handle being deprived of sleep. I've had a really crap day today, too. Made lots of silly mistakes, and anything that could have gone wrong, did. I'm likely to murder somebody if I don't get a decent night's sleep tonight rolleyes

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #366 on: May 02, 2008, 05:04:48 AM »

Struggling to get going myself, today. Maybe it's the knowledge that it's a Bank Holiday weekend and we have an extra day!  Wink

Anyway, in a somewhat vain (in both meanings of the word) I used an online Spanish to English translator to bring a short story of mine back into the mother tongue. Here's the results:

You must understand it: all we thought that the type was crazy. There we were, six musicians who fought, that is to say, that fought to follow alive. We did not fight with music... we had list, a splendid mixture of Shuffle and Cajun of New Orleans, with a blues touch superficially. Food for the soul, uncle! But we could not eat music, and music never put gasoline in the van or replaced the broken amplifiers, so we spent the days and the nights going through the highway of a cheap performance to another one, of beer and food free in the premises if we had luck and the Gods had positions their hats of boogie. Until, a day, appeared he there.

One approached to us with dust in the shelter and the boots, the silver-plated and little hair, the dark and sunk eyes, and the skin consumed and tense on the bones. It had the long and deformed and encallecidos fingers. It seemed to count about one hundred years, but one moved as if it had only seventy. An old man. Nevertheless, he could sing like a bird that flew for the first time. We were touching in a boat, one of those old rehabilitated boats of the Thames like restaurant. There were perhaps fifty or sixty people there putting Chile in the mouth and moving the feet to the rate of music. He was the 4 of July, and although the ocean between us and the United States of America was everything, the majority went it in great and it celebrated it as if those had been the Brits that had won that war.

There were steps that lowered until the boat - we were touching below the waterline -, old wood steps which they were a little dangerous for a young person, still more for an old with the soles of the shoes wet and supported type in a cane. One stopped to half of way and it watched to us, with the deeply hidden eyes in his river basins, doing that were impossible to us to hold the glance to him. What grima! I lowered the Vista to the cords and initiated agreed ones clumsily. When the finishing the first one happens we had forgotten him completely. We were seated preparing the order of the songs that we would touch in the second it happens when suddenly he appeared right behind me and asked with smooth and warm voice (it would have bet pelas that that voice could not leave which not outside he) if we would like to obtain a performance.

huh

Derek
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:06:12 AM by delboy » Logged

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
rsmccoy
...dark is not enough
Mortician

« Reply #367 on: May 02, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »

I'm guessing something got lost in the translation.  grin

It would be interesting to see the original.

It's better to burn out, than fade away...
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #368 on: May 02, 2008, 10:36:57 AM »

I've no idea what they are, but I quite like the phrase "encallecidos fingers".

I'd post the original, but I don't have it in electronic form. It dates from the days of typewriters and carbon paper.

Del "showing his age" boy

Robert B. Parker
JonP
Critter

« Reply #369 on: May 02, 2008, 10:50:06 AM »

"encallecidos fingers".

There's got to be a recipe for that somewhere ...

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #370 on: May 02, 2008, 03:55:21 PM »

It's amazing how there aren't more wars, isn't it? Del - did you put the English version through a translator and then the Spanish version it came up with through the translator again to change it back, or did you originally write the piece in Spanish? huh

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #371 on: May 02, 2008, 04:29:20 PM »

It's amazing how there aren't more wars, isn't it? Del - did you put the English version through a translator and then the Spanish version it came up with through the translator again to change it back, or did you originally write the piece in Spanish?

It was amongst the first of my published stories, Ed. It came out in a short-lived mainstream magazine called Fear. About 15 years later I inadvertantly discovered that it had been translated into Spanish by someone and was appearing in Spanish horror anthologies. The other week I stumbled across the entire translation on the web.

Regards,
Derek

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #372 on: May 02, 2008, 06:08:33 PM »

It's amazing how there aren't more wars, isn't it? Del - did you put the English version through a translator and then the Spanish version it came up with through the translator again to change it back, or did you originally write the piece in Spanish?

It was amongst the first of my published stories, Ed. It came out in a short-lived mainstream magazine called Fear. About 15 years later I inadvertantly discovered that it had been translated into Spanish by someone and was appearing in Spanish horror anthologies. The other week I stumbled across the entire translation on the web.

Regards,
Derek

Oh no - you mean to say somebody translated the hooky version, and now it's out there with your name on it? Argh, nightmare Shocked

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #373 on: May 03, 2008, 03:47:26 AM »

I'm guessing somebody took the original story and thought it was so good it was worth translating into Spanish and including in an anthology. Still guessing, I figure they were so amazed at the quality of the tale that it slipped their mind to even mention any of this to the author... Years later, (still guessing) when sales of the anthology dried up the Spanish version finds itself on the web; and it's this version I translated back into English. No idea what the story comes over like in Spanish as the only language I know is "Dos Cervaza, por favor."  rolleyes

Derek

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #374 on: May 03, 2008, 09:46:37 AM »

Summat's up with my main puter. It hasn't let me into Cafe Doom for days. I'd deleted cookies, etc, then guessed the password. Still no joy on that PC but this little laptop lets me in smiley

Maybe I changed the password a while back.

I only wanted to brag that a book company created a Wikipedia page about me. Go on, have a laugh at it. Go Wikipedia and type Geoff Nelder in the box. Donna took the photo.

Geoff

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx