gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 03:49:16 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589014 times)
rsmccoy
...dark is not enough
Mortician

« Reply #375 on: May 03, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »

I'd post the original, but I don't have it in electronic form. It dates from the days of typewriters and carbon paper.

No problem, a scanner and some OCR software will convert the scanned image into a usable word Doc. Back in 94 (showing some age, but not as much), my hard drive crashed while I was writing my senior thesis. I had just printed a full copy and had been halfway through making the edits when the drive fried. I scanned the document, ran it through the OCR and saved it as a Word doc. The only words it had trouble with were the Russian words and names. 56 pages and I only had to correct about 5% of it, and that was back in 94. I'm guessing they have much better now, but I haven't had the need to use it since (I now back up my back ups).

It's better to burn out, than fade away...
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #376 on: May 03, 2008, 11:59:02 AM »

Summat's up with my main puter. It hasn't let me into Cafe Doom for days. I'd deleted cookies, etc, then guessed the password. Still no joy on that PC but this little laptop lets me in smiley

Maybe I changed the password a while back.

I only wanted to brag that a book company created a Wikipedia page about me. Go on, have a laugh at it. Go Wikipedia and type Geoff Nelder in the box. Donna took the photo.

Geoff

Congrats on the Wiki page, Geoff - I'll take a look at it in a minute.

Funny, I was just thinking this morning that I hadn't seen you around lately. I can reset your password for you, if you like. I'll set a temporary one for you, send it to your e-mail addy, and then you can change it to whatever you want. Let me know if that's what you want to do smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #377 on: May 03, 2008, 02:06:49 PM »

Cheers, Ed, but it seems to be working all right now.

I think it might have been when I messed around with the IE security settings and then allowed defaults to kick back in again.

So no need for action, thanks.

I've not been in much either cos I'm editing a loooooong novel (one of the writers who was on the Writers' week in Cyprus with me). He's paid me loads to get his novel done quickly cos it's about terrorists bombing the London Olympics and would like to see it pubilshed before 2012!

Cheers

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #378 on: May 03, 2008, 02:29:49 PM »

OK, no worries, Geoff. But the option is there if you ever need it smiley

I like the Wiki entry. BTW, I was reading something the other day, where a writer said they had a Wiki entry for a couple of years and then it was deleted. I wonder what you have to do to keep it current. scratch

Sounds like an interesting premise for a novel, there - let's just hope it's not prophetic afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #379 on: May 03, 2008, 03:02:13 PM »

I like the Wiki entry. BTW, I was reading something the other day, where a writer said they had a Wiki entry for a couple of years and then it was deleted. I wonder what you have to do to keep it current. scratch

Yes, BeWrite Books had a Wiki page but then it disappeared. One factor might be the essential citations.  Where possible it is necessary to link every fact to either another Wiki page or web page of some authority. Referencing and cross-referencing is essential.

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #380 on: May 06, 2008, 05:15:09 AM »

We had a peonie just appear from nowhere in our front garden a few years ago, in a really bad place, which leads to it getting trampled every year by lunkheads and children (is there a difference?). They're beautiful flowers, so it makes me a bit sad to see them ruined, but they apparently don't take kindly to being moved, so I left it where it was.

When I saw a bag full of rhysomes (sp?) a few weeks back, I thought I'd buy them and plant them in a better place, in the raised bed that runs down one side of our patio. One came up within days - stout and healthy looking, with a flower bud swelling in the centre of the plant as it grew. I've been watching it grow, looking forward to seeing it bloom. On Saturday, I looked out of the conservatory door at it, and it didn't look quite right. One closer inspection I found slug had taken a huge chunk out of the stem, low down, and the plant had collapsed under its own weight undecided

I've had an absolute gutful of things getting wrecked by mindless vandals - be they children, morons, mice, slugs, dogs or snails. The self same thing that happened to the peonie also happened to a nerine last autumn - I watched it grow, then just as it was about to bloom - munch.

So I went to the garden centre yesterday, and I bought a big box of slug pellets. My wife always worries that the dogs will eat the pellets and die (because they're that stupid), so when I saw a container that said 'pet safe', 'child friendly', etc., I decided to get that one. With a look of grim determination on my face (my wife tells me), I opened the box, cut open the bag within, grabbed a handful, and... WTF? I had bought a boxful of fucking gravel pissed

Apparently the slugs and snails don't like crawling over it, so it works as a physical barrier. Problem is, I don't want my garden covered in white gravel, and quite apart from any aesthetic concerns - I WANT REVENGE!!!

Eh... heh... as you were. lipsrsealed

delph_ambi
« Reply #381 on: May 06, 2008, 06:08:59 AM »

Try this: http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/slugx.htm

Environmentally friendly and requires you to drink most of a can of beer. Can't be bad.
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #382 on: May 06, 2008, 09:34:04 AM »

That stinks, Ed! You're not gonna start hanging slugs on pikes outside your house, are you? Wink
SamLeeFreak
Coroner

Come here, let me creep you out.

« Reply #383 on: May 06, 2008, 01:45:45 PM »

I've had an absolute gutful of things getting wrecked by mindless vandals - be they children, morons, mice, slugs, dogs or snails. The self same thing that happened to the peonie also happened to a nerine last autumn - I watched it grow, then just as it was about to bloom - munch.

I have several potted plants at the seedling stage. I brought them out from under the roof over the weekend adn arranged them since they're big enough to deal with the weather (I hope). Anyway, the dog was out on a tether and just as I was almost done with my gardening...*SMASH*...there is one of my most promising pots on it's side and it's contents strewn across the driveway.  Cry  We tried to save some but it just isn't the same.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #384 on: May 06, 2008, 07:04:44 PM »

I know how you feel, Ash - takes the shine off it, doesn't it?

That stinks, Ed! You're not gonna start hanging slugs on pikes outside your house, are you? Wink

No, I'm not that crazy. Although I have dug little pits and lined the bottoms of them with punji sticks made from cocktail sticks, and then covered the holes over with blades of grass and a thin layer of soil. Is that normal behaviour, or do you think I'm going too far? huh

Try this: http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/slugx.htm

Environmentally friendly and requires you to drink most of a can of beer. Can't be bad.

I would sooner use brick acid than waste good beer on the enemy Angry Although I could get them roaring drunk and then wait until they're hung over the next morning, with really bad headaches, then shout at them really loudly. That'll learn 'em fugly

No, I took a trip to B&Q and bought some organic slug pellets that are supposed to be dog safe and child friendly, or perhaps it was dog friendly and child safe. Nevermind, as long as it murders the slugs  afro

canadian
Coroner

amphibian

« Reply #385 on: May 06, 2008, 10:57:31 PM »

Ordinary table salt works a treat, Ed. Just sprinkle it on the damn things and watch what happens.

Have to warn you the process is rather messy. Muwahahahaa!

If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #386 on: May 07, 2008, 03:01:28 AM »

Ordinary table salt works a treat, Ed. Just sprinkle it on the damn things and watch what happens.

Have to warn you the process is rather messy. Muwahahahaa!

Yep, apparently that's the only reason why the French don't eat them - sprinkle salt on them and they disappear fugly

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #387 on: May 07, 2008, 05:26:03 AM »

I've been battling with a mouse in my garage. Well, several, over the last few months. But there seemed to be just one left and no matter what bait I put out he either took it off the traps without setting them off, or ignored it altogether. I tried cheese, chocoloate, grapes, and apple, all to no avail with this particualr rodent. then, last night, I had a brainwave - why not try an orange fishing boilee - I've caught plenty of carp on them, why not a mouse? And bingo! Got that little blighter. I don't actually feel good about killing him, but there's a time and a place for mice, and my garage right now isn't either.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #388 on: May 07, 2008, 09:20:41 AM »

No, I'm not that crazy. Although I have dug little pits and lined the bottoms of them with punji sticks made from cocktail sticks, and then covered the holes over with blades of grass and a thin layer of soil. Is that normal behaviour, or do you think I'm going too far? huh

Oh, of course not! That's perfectly rational behavior! (But look who's talking.) Wink
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #389 on: May 07, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »

A few years back slugs ate all my lettuces. As a veggie animal activist and soft as a tired tongue, I don't want to put slug pellets down or murder them with Donna's salt. So I planted lots of different plants to see which survived best. Surprisingly spring onions didn't but a variety of strawberry - Cambridge Favorite seems to be ignored by them - especially with the old trick of surrounding them with straw. Birds left those strawsberries alone too, which then made me wonder what was wrong with them!  scratch The only veg that slugs and snails didn't touch at all was Kohlrabi.

The next year a toad took up residence under my shed.

I could grow whatever I liked and the toad grew fat --- sorry slugs  undecided  Always a veggie's dilemma...

Geoff

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx