News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian

A toad. What a great & simple solution, Geoff.

Anybody know what to do about a groundhog? We've got one who's happily ensconced behind & under our shed ... right beside our new veggie garden. The dogs have tried booby trapping the main exit holes with steamy piles to no avail. Brie even dropped one straight down its tunnel!

Maybe Doug should lie down outside its hole all night and make noises like a hungry coyote. Think that'd scare it off?
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Ed

We've been letting nature take its course where vermin are concerned, in the garden anyway, but it seems like something's out of kilter, because we're overrun with slugs. We've got slow worms at the top of the garden, plus a few resident frogs/toads (wouldn't know the difference TBH), so if between them they're not coping, I think there's something wrong. Saying that, I was considering scattering slug pellets all over the garden, until I remembered about our little friends. Because of concern for them, I've only treated a raised bed at the bottom of the garden, which is about a foot wide and fifteen feet long.

TBH, I don't like killing things and don't kill anything unless it's destined for the dinner table, usually. Even when we were plagued with rats and mice, I found myself feeling sorry for the mice I found dead in the traps - cute little buggers. Always looked to be in really good condition, too. When it came down to it, it was them or us, though. Had to be done.

I've no experience with groundhogs. They're basically a rodent the size of a small dog, aren't they? Never seen one. Perhaps a stern talking to will do the job? :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

What a day. I woke up feeling absolutely awful this morning. Only got about five hours sleep, so I was never going to feel wonderful on it, but I also woke up with a nasty cold (out of the blue), which made it worse. Worked all day in the sun, stuffing myself with vitamin C and trying to sweat out the virus. Felt fairly ok by the end of the day, but still a bit dizzy. Went out tonight to watch a standup/improv show with Paul Merton and friends, which was quite good. Had a few bottles of lager at intermission and after the show, and right now I'm feeling properly half cut. It feels good after such a long hot day suffering cold symptoms.

And now I'm going to drink some more water before hitting the sack. I'll hopefully wake up feeling better tomorrow :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

SamLeeFreak

Ed

Turns out I slept really well, thanks :afro: Still got a runny nose and a cough, but I think it feels a little better - at least my throat's not sore any more :smiley:

starktheground

Man oh man, I'm starting to wonder what I've gotten myself into! I decided to start watching three of my friend's kids (along with my own) in the evening after work, because she's been paying more in daycare than she's actually earning! It's been lively, that's for sure!  :/

bintarab

Tornado warning in Austin tonight -- hope you are safe, stark!

~bint

delboy

It's wet here after a week of gorgeous weather. Was that our summer? I wonder.

On another subject, I'm not getting any writing done at all at the mo'. I've got several ideas awaiting pen to paper, but it feels like I'm hanging on by fingertips to just getting all the chores and necessities of life done, let alone anything extra (like writing).

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Urf - other people's kids. I feel your pain, Angela :/  We had ten OPKs in our house about two weekends back. Both our kids had friends around, and they all required fuelling, plasters, etc. Then there's the issue of OPK's rules, "Toby's mum lets him say the 'F' word, and the 'S' word, and the..." Oh, that's good then - he'll understand me just fine when I tell the little shit to fuck off home ::)

I hate to hear kids swearing. I think it's because its a sign that their innocence is ebbing away, which is necessary, I suppose, but sad all the same.

Del - I've been saying the same thing. This happened last year, didn't it? Heat wave for a couple weeks in May, then it rained until September. I don't think I could handle another summer like that. I've really enjoyed the past few days, sitting out on the patio in the evenings, eating outdoors, planting things and watching them sprout up through the soil. Hopefully there will be plenty more of it to come before autumn :smiley:

Sorry to hear that you've been too busy to write, but I think sometimes it's good to let an idea swell in your brain for a while before writing it. Seem to flow more easily.

Ed

Nearly forgot - I had a really good nightmare last night. There was a tree trunk lying along top of a 6ft stone wall, and for some reason I was chopping out this thin layer of bark from where the two things met. It came away easily, in thin strips an inch or two wide to reveal a cavity between. When I looked closer I could see snakes in the void, which slithered out as I worked my way along. They looked to be quite small, but bigger than adders, and more solid looking. They didn't worry me too much. As I worked my way along the wall, the snakes seemed to get bigger, until when I knocked out the last section there was a huge snake in there - like a boa, but slightly thinner, more lithe, fast, but ten feet long. I jumped back from it and ran away along the road, being chased by the snakes, and only just staying ahead of the biggest one. Then for some reason I thought of trying to sidestep it and double back, so I veered off to one side and doubled back. The snakes carried on along the road, so I guess they weren't chasing me at all - it just seemed like they were.

I'm sure that means something relevant to my life and subconscious worries. They say you can tell a lot about what people are thinking by examining their dreams. Hey, perhaps I'm paranoid? :scratch:

delboy

Small snakes, gradually growing to big snakes, and then you being chased along the road by them. I think you're right... your subconscious is very revealing!

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

starktheground

No, Bint, I'm up near Dallas, so no twisters here last night! Of course, I was so busy, one could have passed through the backyard and I wouldn't have even noticed!  :grin:

Well, Ed, I think the trick is to teach OPKs how to follow the house rules. It's sure isn't easy to get them to break bad habits, though! On the plus side, I got all four asleep within thirty minutes last night and curled up on the couch with a book!  THAT was sweet.

Oh, and I used to have a dream dictionary somewhere, but I don't think I'd have to look up snakes to tell you what it's supposed to represent!  :grin:

Ed

I looked up the meaning of snakes i dreams on google, and it's not as clear cut as you might think, actually :grin:

In my case I think I know what it means, though - I'm fast running out of work to do, and I dropped into a job I'm supposed to be starting next week sometime, only to find somebody else doing it, so I think the snakes are more literally representing liars and deceitful people. Could be time to change direction, perhaps? :afro:

bintarab

Quote from: starktheground on May 15, 2008, 09:22:27 AM
No, Bint, I'm up near Dallas, so no twisters here last night! Of course, I was so busy, one could have passed through the backyard and I wouldn't have even noticed!  :grin:

It ended up being a right wicked hail storm -- reminds me of your flash because my lawn is a mess! I spent hours this morning trying to clean up and only got a fraction of it done, but my back is killing me so I had to stop. Power went out sometime last night not surprisingly, but it's all back now. And I got to meet my next door neighbor for the first time in 9 months while we were both cleaning up, so there's the silver lining.

~bint

joneastwood

Thought this would be a good place to pop a few cool zombie pics from my new job. Unfortunately, I don't get to be one of these guys - I have to do the wordy shows that people see before they boogie on down to zombie town, but i'm going to make sure I have a go scaring people witless in the next few months. Everyone does their own make-up, which I think is pretty cool.
Bit of background on the place - its called The London Bridge Experience and it's built into the foundations of the bridge. It was designed to be just a big scare show, but now it's two floors. The top floor is a series of educational(ish) shows about the history of London Bridge, but the zombie scare show is the floor below. They found thousands of jumbled up human remains when they were digging it all up. Apparently the area used to be used as a plague pit in the 1600's. Pretty cool eh?