gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 18, 2017, 01:15:46 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 590231 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #405 on: May 27, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »

Weird - I thought I had replied to this. Excellent pics, Jon. Very cool idea afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #406 on: May 28, 2008, 06:05:29 AM »

Off to London this afternoon to meet my publisher, other writers, family and friends. Busy schedule, so won't have time to visit the zombies under the bridge, unfortunately. Hoping to get some writing done on the train (two and a half hour trip) but probably won't, as I usually end up staring out the window all the way. MUST do some research for the latest novel. Must, must, must. Will. Definitely. Hope to return with words bursting out of me. Or something.
rsmccoy
...dark is not enough
Mortician

« Reply #407 on: May 29, 2008, 07:54:17 AM »

Very cool Jon, great pics. It went from "Bring out your dead" to "Ugghhh brains....."

It's better to burn out, than fade away...
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #408 on: May 29, 2008, 01:51:06 PM »

Cuh - if we were a real cafe we'd have sold just one cup of tea and an iced bun today grin

Quiet, innit? I guess everybody's busy finishing off their stories ready for the June crit session. It's looking like being a good one, I reckon afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #409 on: May 30, 2008, 04:33:05 AM »

It absolutely empted down yesterday afternoon. I blame the dickhead dancing around in the middle of the road wearing a sun costume. He caused a traffic jam on the way in to work, ironically celebrating the start of 'The Sunrise Festival', and the torrential rain caused nose to tail chaos on the way home.

On site, I packed up all my gear and made several trips to the van (the rain intensifying every time I came out of the building), which left me pretty much drenched to the skin by the time I'd finished. Then I drive home along the 303, and the rain is so intense that I'm forced to slow to 30mph because the windscreen wipers can't keep up with the rain hitting the screen. I turn off the 303 at Ilchester and lo and behold it's like somebody lifted a curtain (a big grey soggy one), because literally the second I turned off the 303 my wipers started making a screeching noise, because there wasn't any water on the screen. I looked at the road and saw it was bone dry - it hadn't rained there at all during the three hour lashing we'd had just ten miles away. As I get closer to home, it's getting brighter and brighter. Finally, when I'm just about a mile from home it's sunny, like a summer's day, oddly enough. So I rang my wife, who was no doubt carrying on as if it really was a summer's day.

With big black clouds gaining on me by the second and spots of rain speckling my windscreen again she answers the phone, and the first thing she says is what a lovely day it is - she's got a line full of washing out, she's set the table outside for tea, and to cap it all she's got her accursed mother there who's as nervous as a nag at the glue factory (especially) during storms.

I pull into my garage, the heavens open, and the rain intensifies as I run for the house. My wife has rescued everything from outside and has set the table inside. Just as we start to eat there's a flash of lightning and an explosion of thunder. The mother-in-law looks like she's about to dive under the table, and begins to shake uncontrollably. I wonder if I'm going to have to slap her out of hysteria in a moment. No such luck.

We finish the meal and she heads for home. Next thing we hear on the radio is all the roads around us are flooded and there's a wall down across one of the roads she would have taken home. Manhole covers are lifting with the volume of storm water coming up through them, and pretty much everywhere is impassable. It took her an hour to travel three miles.

Now this morning the news reports say several roads are closed where the storm drains have broken and lifted the tarmac, leaving the roads no better than farm tracks in some places. Yet it's a bright sunny day today. Typical English summer.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #410 on: May 30, 2008, 06:59:08 AM »

Are you a Somerset boy, then, Ed?

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #411 on: May 30, 2008, 01:20:39 PM »

Are you a Somerset boy, then, Ed?

Well, sort of - I live in Somerset and have done for most of my adult life, but I'm originally from up around Delph's neck of the woods. No trace of the accent left, though. I'm told I have no accent scratch

neilmarr
Coffin Maker

« Reply #412 on: May 31, 2008, 09:56:06 AM »

Somerset lad, Acker Bilk, wrote a piece called 'Summer Set' back in the sixties. It made the charts, but I think he meant it as a joke. Hope it's brightened up for you, Ed. Bestest. Neil
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #413 on: June 03, 2008, 01:46:47 PM »

Thanks, Neil - it's a bit brighter now afro

Is it just me, or was the forum down a minute ago? I tried a tracert and couldn't even get the domain name to resolve. Seems to be OK now, though scratch

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #414 on: June 03, 2008, 03:33:04 PM »

Just had a neighbour bang on the door flourishing the free mid-week paper (even though it's only Tuesday). My photo is on the front page and a short piece repeated on the inside from last weeks press release about my Exit, Pursued by a Bee ebook. The photo is the same as I posted in here somewhere a few days back. It's not as cool as JonE's photos but just as scary Wink

ah, here is the thread link http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/topic,2099.15.html

Geoff
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 03:35:55 PM by Geoff_N » Logged

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #415 on: June 03, 2008, 06:38:05 PM »

Cool afro Good publicity - I bet you get a few sales from it, Geoff. Hope so, anyway smiley

PaulH
Mortician

« Reply #416 on: June 04, 2008, 06:19:39 AM »

Is it just me, or was the forum down a minute ago?

I told it a few jokes and slipped it an anti-depressant. Seems to have done the trick.  afro
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #417 on: June 04, 2008, 12:58:06 PM »

*groan*

Cheesy

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #418 on: June 05, 2008, 03:22:49 AM »

I've really got to get on with sending out stories to markets - dunno what's up with me, but I never seem to get around to doing it. Hopeless rolleyes

Busy crit session this time around, which is nice. Seven stories to work through, and I think that's about the optimum number, really. Any more and it starts getting difficult to organise so that everybody gets their share of feedback. It's strange, though. I look at the new posts this morning and there's quite a few to read, but they're all in the crit group, so anybody checking in from outside the group must think there's nothing going on here. Weird.

delph_ambi
« Reply #419 on: June 05, 2008, 03:46:13 AM »

ah... wondered why you were all so quiet. Busy critting. Okay.  yes
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx