gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 07:55:10 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588219 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #465 on: June 27, 2008, 07:40:45 AM »

Good luck afro

I've taken the day off to take my wife to lunch at a posh restaurant. It's her birthday today, so the diet's going out of the window and damn the expense smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #466 on: June 27, 2008, 08:54:11 AM »

Just been down the pub saying goodbye to a couple of fellows who are retiring today. Time marches on, eh?

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
SamLeeFreak
Coroner

Come here, let me creep you out.

« Reply #467 on: June 27, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »

Good luck afro

I've taken the day off to take my wife to lunch at a posh restaurant. It's her birthday today, so the diet's going out of the window and damn the expense smiley

That's precious  grin
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #468 on: June 29, 2008, 04:16:47 PM »

It's been another good weekend smiley

Had a nice meal on Friday, as planned, and my wife cried when she saw the dozen red roses I'd arranged for them to have on the table ready for her. Friday evening we ditched both kids at Cub camp for the weekend, returned to an empty house to veg out for the night.

On saturday, one of my wife's friends took her to London to watch Lloyd Webber's show, Joseph, which she thoroughly enjoyed. Meanwhile I got in some valuable writing time with a few bottles of beer and a Chinese takeaway (which involved a stand up argument with a copper because I'd allegedly gone down a road I wasn't allowed to go down in the car rolleyes Gave him a gobful of home truths and sent him on his way with his tail between his legs grin ).

Today we spent the morning vegging out, and then had a sunday roast at a local farm shop/restaurant before heading off to pick up the little darlings. I cooked steak with all the trimmings for tea (that's British for 'dinner'). Watched Doctor Who with the sproglings and here we are again. Sunday night. Wishing the working week was shorter and the weekends longer smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #469 on: June 29, 2008, 07:57:07 PM »

Hey all! Poking my head in for a bit. Just got back from vacation and it looks like I'll be gone again for awhile because I've decided to move. It's crazy and impulsive, but what the hell? You only live once, right? I'm just not looking forward to another twenty hours in the car!
SamLeeFreak
Coroner

« Reply #470 on: June 29, 2008, 10:47:17 PM »

Neat. Are you moving across the country or just between houses?
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #471 on: June 30, 2008, 03:33:56 AM »

Nice to see you stopping by, Angela. I hope you had a good holiday smiley Twenty hours in a car puts you a thousand miles away scratch The place you're moving house to wouldn't happen to be the place where you went on holiday, would it?

You're right, though - you only live once, and all that holds us back half the time is a phobic fear of change. Good luck smiley
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:36:41 AM by Ed » Logged

starktheground
Critter

« Reply #472 on: June 30, 2008, 09:58:36 AM »

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm moving from Texas to Arizona. And, yes, it was where I went on vacation! The trip's just a little over a thousand miles. It's a pretty big change for me, seeing as how I've lived in Texas all my life. I'm (usually) a creature of habit.  grin
SamLeeFreak
Coroner

« Reply #473 on: June 30, 2008, 12:02:09 PM »

That sounds like fun! I moved from CT to the midwest, and it's been a wild ride!  grin
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #474 on: June 30, 2008, 03:39:31 PM »

Good luck with your move, Angela. I know of a couple of good writers who live in Arizona. It is tempting me...

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #475 on: June 30, 2008, 04:24:47 PM »

I visited Arizona (OMG) sixteen years ago and was amazed by how verdant it was - I was expecting landscapes out of a  Roadrunner cartoon. Apparently half of it is like that, but the other half is lush with plantlife. We stayed in Flagstaff for a couple of nights before moving on, and were kept up by freight trains running through all night blaring their horns.

bintarab
Mortician

« Reply #476 on: July 01, 2008, 06:19:08 AM »

Ah, back from the netherworld and feeling human again -- I had to scramble to get that Terrifying Toys story finished, but after I sent it in, my friend emailed me his feedback, suggesting I cut about 500 words and flesh out the truly interesting part of the story.

Oh well. So maybe I can fix it up when it loses the contest and submit it somewhere.

One thing: I sent the story to AlienSkin as an rtf doc -- does that not preserve the italics? My friend says it didn't. Oops -- the story is hard to follow if you can't see that the toy's dialogue is italicized?

And ... did I really miss two whole flash cycles? Good grief!

~bint
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #477 on: July 01, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »

Thanks guys. Looking forward to the adventure.

Ed, I thought the same thing the first time I visited Arizona! Here's a picture of the area I'll be living in. It's much more beautiful in person. Besides, photography has never been my fortay!  grin

elay2433
Critter

« Reply #478 on: July 01, 2008, 02:24:24 PM »

Welcome back bint,

I was hoping to see the final draft of your terrifying toys story. I liked it. I tried coming up with something for the contest but can't seem to fit everything they want into the required word count. Good luck with your entry. Why did you have to scramble - isnt' the deadline July 30th?

-elay

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #479 on: July 01, 2008, 03:18:51 PM »

I was beginning to think you must be off on your hols, Bint.  afro

Re the italics, I'm pretty sure .rtf preserves them. You might lose them in .txt files, though. Like Elay, I thought the deadline for terrifying toys was the end of July rather than the end of June. Good luck with your subs smiley

Angela - that bit looks pretty dry, so I take it it's down south? scratch

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx