News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Take loaf of sliced bread from bread-bin. Put two slices in toaster. Wait. When done, butter and apply Marmite. Job done.

That's the one recipe I know.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Ash - I can understand people not liking curry (BTW this is a very mild one) but I don't understand why anybody would have an issue with chicken. It's usually quite a bland meat, I think. It used to be my favourite for a long time, but now I prefer lamb. Chicken seems to have lost most of its flavour over the years, what with factory farming and Frankenstein chickens. Alarming to think there's 100 more calories in a chicken leg now than there was in the 1970s. Still chucking some curry at it seems to fix the flavour issue, for me anyway. I'm with you on the pork - not keen at all.

Delph - thanks for the tip. I'll have to give it a try... only thing is, I've just realised we don't have any of those spices :scratch:

Del - move over Gordon Ramsay :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

joneastwood

I miss curry - the other half doesn't like it and cant stand the smell, so its one of those things I jump at when I get the chance. I went to India for a few months a while ago - oh my god - is the food different than the sloppy English curries.
The best thing is that, while I've been a vegetarian for ages, the south of India has been mainly vegetarian for thousands of years - and they know how to cook!

delph_ambi

My issue with chicken is that I can't afford organic free range, and I absolutely, categorically will not buy battery birds on moral grounds.

My husband's issue with chicken is that they have feathers, and he won't eat anything that once had feathers. He thinks it's probably because he used to shoot pigeons as a youngster, and is now overcome with guilt or something. He won't eat rabbit for much the same reason (the shooting, not the feathers) which is a shame, as it's one of my favourite meats.

I adore toast and marmite! Talking of which... delph scurries off to the kitchen

joneastwood

Hey, just delighted that, although I'm still off work ill, I've managed to be productive. The Mrs is at work and all my friends are busy, so I sat down and wrote my submission for Scott's anthology. Turned out quite well I think. Was one of those ones that just came out in a few hours. Love it when that happens.
Probably read it tomorrow and hate it...sigh.

SamLeeFreak

Quote from: delph_ambi on July 24, 2008, 05:05:28 AM
My issue with chicken is that I can't afford organic free range, and I absolutely, categorically will not buy battery birds on moral grounds.

My husband's issue with chicken is that they have feathers, and he won't eat anything that once had feathers. He thinks it's probably because he used to shoot pigeons as a youngster, and is now overcome with guilt or something. He won't eat rabbit for much the same reason (the shooting, not the feathers) which is a shame, as it's one of my favourite meats.

I adore toast and marmite! Talking of which... delph scurries off to the kitchen

Non-organic tastes like balls in the states. Foul stuff, and not just the chicken  ;)

For me, I draw the line at veal, swordfish, and sharkfin soup. Anything else is fair game!

neilmarr

If you want really bubbly champagne, just add a couple of drops of good washing up liquid (French -- none of your imported muck) to each glass. Tastes rotten, but it really does bubble like mad. If you don't believe me, ask my wife and her daughter and new husband. Neil

delph_ambi

Weird. I always understood that if your champagne goes flat straight after pouring, it's because there's some washing up liquid residue still in the glass. Maybe you need a good couple of drops to get it foaming, rather than the homeopathic quantities that kill the bubbles.  :scratch:

Ed

Urgh - that reminds me of a time when I had a cup of coffee at a friend's house. He handed me a mug, and I sat there watching some video we'd hired, took a sip, felt something slimy against my lips, then the toungue-scraping flavour of Mild Green Fairy Liquid (washing up liquid) invaded my mouth. Ack.

Turned out instead of washing the mugs properly, my mate used to squeeze a few drops of detergent between finger and thumb and then 'rim' the mug, figuring the only really dirty bit would be where lips had touched the mug, only this particular time he'd forgotten to rinse the soap off :cheesy:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

Quote from: joneastwood on July 25, 2008, 12:33:37 PM
Hey, just delighted that, although I'm still off work ill, I've managed to be productive. The Mrs is at work and all my friends are busy, so I sat down and wrote my submission for Scott's anthology. Turned out quite well I think. Was one of those ones that just came out in a few hours. Love it when that happens.
Probably read it tomorrow and hate it...sigh.

I want to write something for that, too, but inspiration hasn't struck yet. Re hating it - dunno about you, but I go through phases with what I write. Usually straight after I've finished I think it's pretty good, but probably needs tweaking here and there. Leave it a day or two and I think it's crap. After a week it's irredeemable crap. Then maybe a year or two later I'll find it, read it, and either I'll immediately spot the bit that needs changing, or I'll read it and think, wow, why can't I write like that any more? :grin:

joneastwood

Well, I read it and I still like it, although I did spot a couple of typos. Much to my chagrin, I've already sent off the submission email. What a fool! I was just caught up in that heady feeling of finishing something and blithely emailed it without checking properly. Lesson learned.
Scott, if you are reading this - the missing word is "piano" and I believe I somehow managed to spell "it" wrong in there towards the end.
Straight to bed with no supper!  >:(

Geoff_N

Jon, after years of writing and editing, I still send off a sub of a short too soon, caught up in the euphoria of thinking I've written a great story! Hopefully you'll learn where I haven't.

Slummed it in sunny Blackpool yesterday with wife, son, his girlfriend, her 2-year-old daughter. Kiss Me Quick hats, candy floss, and paddling in the sea. Most excellent 

Geoff

SamLeeFreak

We have toads! So far I've seen two and they are darling  :smiley: This brings the wildlife ratio in the yards up to fur, feathers, scales, and warts! And if you include the fireflies, glowing butts.

Ed

I wish we had fireflies over here. Can you imagine what the first settlers made of them? They must have thought they were something magical.

Strange day today. I'm trying to work out a system to water my plants while I'm away on my hols. I've taken the solenoid valve out of an old electric shower and I've mounted it in a box, connected it to a washing machine hose for an inlet and some garden hose as the outlet, and I've attached the solenoid to a timer. Seems to work pretty well, but it kinda feels like a waste of time with all the damn rain we've been having. Sod's law that it'll be the hottest two weeks of the year while we're away, though :grin: Oh well.

Used up a load of the stuff that's ready and will spoil while we're away. Cropped my potato plants that I've been growing in bins, plus a load of peas I've been growing in containers, and loads of strawberries, tomatoes, and cucumbers. It all tastes so much better than what you get in the supermarket. Definitely worth that little bit of effort it takes to grow them.

Ed

Ever so quiet here today. I was expecting to come home from work and see loads of new accounts requiring approval, after I'd posted about the comp on a few different forums yesterday. I've posted details to Ralan's, too. Realistically, it'll take a while for it all to kick-in, but I guess I'm just a bit impatient :grin:

Sorry to spam it around, but I'll probably send you all an e-mail about it, too, using the forum 'newsletter' facility. Maybe we'll see a few old faces dropping by. :smiley: