News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Urgh - what a dreary day it was here. It reminds me of the Autumnal Sundays of my childhood, with grey-blue half light leeching through steamed-up windows, the smell of earth and apples, the cold, cloying air when you step outside. Yuck - I'm not keen on this time of year, especially after such a wet and dismal summer.

Still, I've plugged all the last big holes in my new shed today, so it's now weathertight. I can't believe how much work went into building the damn thing, though. I reckon it's probably taken me close to a couple of month's worth of spare time. It's still not finished yet, either. I need to get on and do something with the threshold, and I could do with putting some guttering on it. Either that, or install a French drain all around it, otherwise the soil splashes up from the grass and makes it look untidy. It won't hurt to stay as it is until I get around to it, though.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delph_ambi

Bright sunny day here today. Sun poured in through the living room window all day, and it's still warm as toast in here as a result.

Sorry! ::)

Geoff_N

You beast, Cathy. I woke to rain that only improved to dribble by lunchtime. I go for a bike ride every Sunday morning, but am on orders to abort when it's rainy. Consequently I harbour a mental database of rain=non bike ride Sundays. It's only happened 4 times this year - amazing. Of course I still go out if it is overcast and just the odd spot, even so it is a testimony to the rain-shadow aspects of Chester's microclimate. It was sunny this afto - yeay. But we expected visitors so I couldn't go out - boo. They didn't turn up -- double boo.  Something about they were burgled last night - seems contrived plot to me, but they do live in the pool. (as in Liverpool for the non-colloqual).

I found a coincidence today while playing online scrabble, called Jamble. We exchange messages with each move - handy for keeping in touch, and for selling books. One of my players is a Maltese (no candy jokes) building a house on Gozo. My novel-in-progress is based on Gozo when in 1551 pirates abducted its entire population. My Jamble partner is going to Libya soon for a short term contract. The Gozo abducted were taken to Tripoli, Libya to be sold as slaves. I told him some of the Gozitans were taken to Tarhuna in Libya and that some descendents are thought to still live there. Although my Jambling partner is Maltese he didn't know or had forgotten his school history and so was unaware of the 1551 abduction and the connection to Tarhuna. Guess where his contract is? Yep, Tarhuna. So I've given him a list of research questions...

Geoff

Ed

Duno why, but I'm feeling quite exhausted tonight. Felt the same this morning and for most of the day, too. Hence I've been a bit quiet and haven't done as much as I had hoped to. For instance, I wanted to get on and crit a few stories in the current session. I'm hoping to do at least a few quick ones over the next couple of days. I'm out tomorrow night, but I'll hopefully have a bit of time.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

You needn't spend time on my song story, Ed. I've already re-written in the light of the collective wisdom in the group. I'll enjoy the chats in week2 and put the revised story in later too.

A frend sent me a note overnight saying his third suicide attempt is imminent. I need a good psychiatrist to communicate with :(

Geoff

Ed

There are some people that you just can't help, no matter how hard you try. I have heard of only two treatments that work on suicidally depressed people. One is intense psychotherapy under the influence of LSD, and the other is working for aid organisations in third world countries. Both seem to put things into perspective in a way that's cathartic, somehow.

I hope your friend comes through alright. I'm guessing I know who you're talking about.

Geoff_N

Yep, you probably do, Ed. Luckily he seems to have pulled through yesterday after I phoned his mum and rounded up a few of his online friends. He reactivated his Facebook and put in a message "I've applied for a brain transplant." I laughed so much --- and knew he's back to his typical black humour.  True it probably won't last but hey ho...

Geoff

Ed

You may have noticed we've had a few server problems tonight. Not sure what caused them, but I don't think it was anything to do with the forum itself. More likely a MySQL problem, I think. Still spent all my evening trying to sort it out, rather than getting on with stuff I wanted to do ::)

Geoff_N

delboy

Looking forward to the weekend. It's been a down week. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're not. And sometimes, whichever it is, it's for no apparant reason, which is the case at the moment.

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

I'm a hopeless shopper. I had to cycle three times to the shops today cos I'd not thought through the ingredients needed for visit of son and girl friend + tot today. Also under orders to buy apparatus for physics experimental demonstrations for Gaynor. She needed currants but I bought sultanas - doesn't work, had to be currants. She needed a can of diet coke and a can of regular coke for a density experiment. (diet can should float but regular not - it used to work well but these days the diet coke just floats higher) Two cocktail glasses - preferably plastic to do a maths / volume illusion. Finally, I forgot the icecream - for both an experiment needing cold for Gaynor and to go with a fresh fruit flan I made. Gaynor's confiscated the blueberries I bought for one of her surface area to mass experiments with sparkling water. Then I realised I needed to buy silver balloons for my dealers table at NewCon4 tomorrow to sell Exit, Pursued by a Bee.  Nothing is normal in this house!

Geoff

Ed

I can say categorically that you have a unique set of problems there, Geoff :afro:

Personally, on the work front, I'm making hay while the sun shines - I'm likely to be very busy right up until Christmas, and probably most of January, but after that I think work is likely to get pretty sparse for the rest of the year. I really don't care if it is, though. I quite fancy having a quiet year.

elay2433

Works drying up around here. Getting a little scary. I'm used to being buried, looking ahead at a full months worth of work I need to get around to. Now I cant' see stretching next weeks workload to make it last. This particular week, it's a good thing. I just realized the deadline for turning in my story to Borderlands Boot Camp is the Oct. 15th, not the 31st like I thought. I'm taking off Monday and Tuesday to get some writing done. Now if I only had a brilliant idea for a story...

Ed

We had absolutely beautiful weather here over the weekend. Took a trip down to Burton Bradstock beach yesterday. Had a wander along it while our eldest and the dogs ran between us (the youngest is away with the school at the moment - yay! :cheers: ). Stopped away from the fifty or so people who had the same idea as us and then lay out in the warmth of the sun before retiring to the beachfront cafe for a caramel slice and a mug of tea. Frightfully civilised, it were. :smiley:

delboy

Indeed, we took advantage of the weather to have a quiet walk in the woods with the dog. Lovely!
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker