News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

I know consumerism is bad and all that, but I do love my new iPhone 3G. I decided to treat myself to a new mobile and a new network, because the Orange network doesn't seem to work anywhere I do, whereas O2 seems to do better. Anyhoo - I've fancied getting an iPhone ever since I went to the Borderlands Bootcamp and saw Rich Payne's in action.

I didn't realise just how good it was until I got one though. It's got all sorts of gadgets, like GPS, for instance. You can press the 'maps' button, press another button, and it'll not only tell you where you are but provide a satellite image/map, or hybrid of where you are. I tried it at home yesterday and it dropped a pin on the satellite photo that zoomed in until I could see the umbrella over our patio table out back and my car on the drive out front.  :shocked: I was amazed. From wherever you are you can press in a destination and it'll plot a route for you as well. It's got games, photos, camera function, music, unlimited web browsing through 3G or Wi-Fi, a 3 gig download limit, which is better than I get with my home connection. There's an interactive calendar, too, where you can put in an event, set its frequency, like weekly, monthly or one off, and set varios timed reminders for yourself so you don't forget it.

I'm very impressed with it :dance:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

starktheground

Hey guys. Just wanted to say hello again. I'm finally settled in my new place and am no longer sans computer, so ya'll should be seeing me around a bit more. Dun-dun-dun.  :cheesy:

Ed

:cheers: Yay - good to have you back, Angela. I hope life's been treating you well in your new location :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

JonP

Quote from: Ed on November 16, 2008, 09:33:24 AM
It's got all sorts of gadgets, like GPS, for instance.

Just got back from Hong Kong, where on the last day one of our friends there produced a phone he'd just bought (for around £60), which takes two SIM cards (neat idea if you're visiting the mainland a lot) and - wait for it - a TV. The reception wasn't at all bad, either. So watch out for that when it comes over here. Mind you, I'd never heard of the make, and there's probably a reasonable chance that it will give out after a couple of months. But I was still dead impressed.

Caz

Yet another attack of the stupid's today. I took up the floor boards in one of the rooms of my home so that I could check on the condition of the sleeper walls. As I suspected a few of them were in need of repair. It wasn't a great surprise as the building is the best part of a hundred years old. Anyway, I sorted out the walls, relaying the bricks where I had to and re-pointing the less damaged parts, then I re-laid the boards and fitted the carpet back into place. As I was packing my tools away I suddenly became aware that my level was nowhere to be seen.

Yeah, it was still under the floor. I wouldn't have minded so much but I'd seen it just before I put everything back into place and still left it there. What a dummy.    :bangh: Fortunately I'd only nailed a few of the boards back down, the rest of them will come later when I've changed the less than straight joist in that room. Old buildings, what a joy they are.   
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Ed

Oh, tell me about it - I've literally rebuilt this house from the foundations up, but not in that order. Seems like the work never ends. I'm taking tomorrow off to finally install my solar panels, because I've currently got roofers here stripping and redoing the roof we put on only about five or six years ago, so I thought we might as well take advantage of having the scaffold here and labour to help lift them into place.

In other news, I was chomping on a bit of pork crackling the other night, heard a crack from the back of my mouth, assumed it was the crackling, but a few days later a big chunk of tooth fell off one of my wisdom teeth. It's really sharp, so it keeps slashing the inside of my cheek. Can't get a dentist's appointment for a couple of weeks. In the end I got fed up waiting and had a go at it myself with a set of needle files I bought and never found a use for until now. I say that, but the one that seemed to work best tasted terrible and looked to still have brass filings in its teeth. Seems to have done the trick, though.

No wonder British teeth have such a bad reputation if you can't even get to see your dentist in an emergency ::)

starktheground

Ouch Ed. That doesn't sound like it was fun! And, thanks. It's good to be back.

Pharosian

I spent all last week in Portland, Oregon on business, where it was rainy most of the time. Came back with a rotten cold and a migraine that lasted 2 days, so I'm just getting back to normal.  :(

Ed -- congrats on the new iPhone! Way cool!

Geoff_N

I'm drooling - why?
The printers accidentally sent me copies of a NATO document of the
French attitude to global strategies.

I'm smiling at the thought of 50 NATO people who are reading my scifi Exit, Pursued by a Bee. Just think how it might work into the future...

Geoff

starktheground

:grin: I wish I could've seen their faces.

Grillmeat

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!
May you all be visited by the four F's
Family
Friends
Food and..............
FOOTBALL!!

Have a great day, see you all again on Monday!!
OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!

Ed

I feel kind of left out every year when the Americans are celebrating Thanksgiving. We get absolutely squat to look forward to in November here, except more shorter drearier days to come.

Given how churlish the British are as a nation, I'm surprised we didn't instigate a 'Glad to see the back of the puritanical religious zealots' holiday, back in the day. Especially after you won the war of independence. Let's face it, we generally hold a grudge over here :scratch:

Nevertheless - happy thanksgiving, everybody :smiley:

starktheground

:afro: Hey, any excuse to drink, right? Nah, I didn't drink yesterday, on account of being pregnant and all, but I did overstuff myself and enjoy the company I had. . . and, the Cowboys won.  :cheers:

Ed

Geoff_N

I give thanks every morning to have cheated the grim reaper.

I'm off for a week. Log cabin retreat in the wilds of Wales. I was looking forward to cycling there but the mrs decided she'd come along too and doesn't like sitting on the crossbar.

I've a few review books to get through - nothing to excite you horrible CD lot - and I'm smuggling in my laptop.

CYA

Geoff