gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 07:54:47 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588217 times)
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #675 on: November 29, 2008, 01:01:28 AM »

Thanks Ed. I'm due in March. It can hurry up and get here already!!!
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #676 on: November 29, 2008, 02:20:53 AM »

Just wait for February, then talk about wanting to hurry up and and be done. I took snapshots of my girlfriend pretty much bi-weekly throughout her pregnancy. It made for a good flip book. In the final weeks the two things that grew the most were her belly and her frown. The last shot showed a gigantic, impossible growth at her midsection and her face, which was a curious mix of impatient anticpation and sad resignation. Ah but she's a happy camper now. It's all fun when you look back on it.

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #677 on: November 29, 2008, 04:40:40 AM »

Hope you have a good time, Geoff afro

Angela - yep, my wife was like that. After a certain point you can't wait to get it over with. Just be thankful we don't have the gestation period elephants have - they're pregnant for the best part of two years AFAIK. Shocked

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #678 on: November 30, 2008, 12:09:54 AM »

Two years . . . ugh!!! Sounds like a horror story to me!
i_abomination
Coffin Maker

« Reply #679 on: November 30, 2008, 10:49:02 PM »

I dunno, from the moment you begin labor, you'd probably trade a portion of your pinky for a few more months in the womb.

Yeah, it's weird Brits dont have anything in November.  The Germans have some weird holiday - I dunno what it is, but it became illegal to dance after midnight a couple weekends ago when I was at the bar.  Then the Weinachts Fest begin usually around the last week of November.

On a separate note, I was supposed to go to Leiden Holland over the weekend.  That's where the puritans [and the beginning of my family line in America] went to for about six years before makin the voyage to America - so it was gonna be a sort of neat-thanksgiving-this-is-where-you-stem-from sort of thing.  Alas it fell through, and I just ended up studying all weekend - but I did crank out a story and the wife cranked out 2.  Long weekends tend to last a little longer when you just take it easy.  Now here it is, 445 in the morning and I'm about to head back into work.  Igggh

Tune up all your rusty strings, let every Christian sing - I wanna dance when I go to meet my king.
i_abomination
Coffin Maker

« Reply #680 on: December 01, 2008, 12:47:29 AM »

Oh, tell me about it - I've literally rebuilt this house from the foundations up, but not in that order. Seems like the work never ends. I'm taking tomorrow off to finally install my solar panels, because I've currently got roofers here stripping and redoing the roof we put on only about five or six years ago, so I thought we might as well take advantage of having the scaffold here and labour to help lift them into place.

In other news, I was chomping on a bit of pork crackling the other night, heard a crack from the back of my mouth, assumed it was the crackling, but a few days later a big chunk of tooth fell off one of my wisdom teeth. It's really sharp, so it keeps slashing the inside of my cheek. Can't get a dentist's appointment for a couple of weeks. In the end I got fed up waiting and had a go at it myself with a set of needle files I bought and never found a use for until now. I say that, but the one that seemed to work best tasted terrible and looked to still have brass filings in its teeth. Seems to have done the trick, though.

No wonder British teeth have such a bad reputation if you can't even get to see your dentist in an emergency rolleyes

Yeah, but if your dog broke a tooth, you could get him into a vet that day since it's not socialized.  They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions

Tune up all your rusty strings, let every Christian sing - I wanna dance when I go to meet my king.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #681 on: December 01, 2008, 02:10:06 AM »

It's a private dentist, actually. There's something of a crisis over dentistry in the UK - none of them seem to want to work for the NHS any more, so many people were forced to go private or face life without one. Creeping privatisation. The sad thing is that dental cover has got worse instead of better. It's so difficult to get one if you've moved areas or lost your usual dentist that people have been know to travel very long distances for treatment.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
i_abomination
Coffin Maker

« Reply #682 on: December 01, 2008, 03:36:01 AM »

eesh - what the fuck!  The more I see the world around me, the more institutionalized I realize I am.  I'm beginning to have doubts of my ability to exist "outside" haha

delph_ambi
« Reply #683 on: December 01, 2008, 04:11:23 AM »

The whole dental thing is madness. My stepson has a five hundred mile round trip to get to his dentist because he daren't try to change to a new local one. My own dentist went private, so I'm paying silly money now, but I'm one of the lucky ones in that the standard of treatment and waiting times have actually improved.

Nothing in November in the UK did someone say? Of course we have something in November. Remember, remember...
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #684 on: December 01, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »

Yeah, it's weird Brits dont have anything in November.  The Germans have some weird holiday - I dunno what it is, but it became illegal to dance after midnight a couple weekends ago when I was at the bar.  Then the Weinachts Fest begin usually around the last week of November.

I was lucky enough to visit Germany during Christmastime a few years back. Aaah, it was beautiful and fun (the gluweihn helped)! It makes me wish the US had something like Germany's Weihnachtsmarkts (sp?), but too many Americans are just too lazy to enjoy that anyway!  grin

The whole dental thing is madness. My stepson has a five hundred mile round trip to get to his dentist because he daren't try to change to a new local one. My own dentist went private, so I'm paying silly money now, but I'm one of the lucky ones in that the standard of treatment and waiting times have actually improved.

Wow, that stinks. I used to work for an insurance company, and it never ceased to amaze me what a rip-off insurance is (especially dental). Now that I'm on the border, though, I can just go to Mexico if I have a dental problem. At least while the American dollar has SOME value anyway!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:12:00 AM by starktheground » Logged
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #685 on: December 01, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »

That's what happened to mine, Delph - he went private and said we all had to, or the alternative was to find another dentist, which plain isn't possible. Very annoying. Angry

i_abomination
Coffin Maker

« Reply #686 on: December 02, 2008, 12:04:32 AM »

We do have weinachts markts - they're called malls, haha.  I do like the superficial atmosphere of them, until I realize it's not like in America.  In America, manners for the most part come out this time of year in force - in Germany, at least where I am, the people just become more pushy and rude than usual.  Which is amazing, because they really are the rudest Europeans that I've encountered - but I  hear the Italians are even worse.  So far, the French, Dutch, and Spanish are leagues above them in the whole sea of kindness, heh.  However, I'll give Germans this - since every alpha male they had died 60 years ago it only takes a cross look to remove them from the line they just cut into, keep them from cutting you off in traffic, or from muttering obscenities.  I am totally open to the possibility that it's just where I'm at, though.  It could also be that I'm just ready to get back to America after not living there for three years, haha.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #687 on: December 02, 2008, 02:31:27 AM »

Yep - must admit I cannot stand the Germans abroad. Even their words for 'excuse me' mean 'excuse you', which gives you a starting point in understanding them. I'll always remember me and the missus going for a walk on holiday in Lanzerote. Every day we'd come out of the hotel and walk down the hill, and somewhere along the line the Germans would be walking up the hill. Brits would generally make way for each other, but not the Germans - they just barged through between me and my wife. By the third day I'd had enough, and so when I saw the same three young men tromping towards us, I set my shoulders and leaned forward slightly, whereupon two of the three bounced off me and hit the deck. They didn't say a damn thing.

I like the Italians - at least they have a bit of passion about them. They're vibrant and full of life.

i_abomination
Coffin Maker

« Reply #688 on: December 02, 2008, 02:41:16 AM »

Hahah, that's pretty much what you have to do with Germans.  If you don't they'll just keep doing it.  Once they've identified you as an American,(kind of easy to get a make on me with "Last Man On Earth" tattooed across my throat, haha) they tend to just give a wide berth to you, but it really shouldn't come to that.   Makes me want to be a Manners Vigilante, haha.  Yeah, I don't know the Italian thing first hand, I've just got a few friends that live there.  They really aren't keen on Americans, but what can I say - neither am I, haha.  I do know, and will say - I fucking love the French.  I grew up hating them, and enjoyed hating them.  It was fun.  French jokes are funny.  But then I spent a week in South France - and have to say, I've re-evaluated my hatred of the french to such a degree that I actually looked into joining the Legion, haha.  But that was only after the British recruiter told me I had to be British, haha.  Apparently my 1609 roots to England aren't current enough, haha.

Caz
Critter

« Reply #689 on: December 06, 2008, 10:27:45 AM »

After not having seen my back garden since last weekend, I leave for work when it’s still dark and return home after dark, God I hate the f@*#‘in winter, I can honesty say I was a tad pissed when I walked into the kitchen this morning and found that the grass by one of the fences had been striped away pissed. I know who the culprit is and had devised a cunning plan to rid myself of this miscreant. After making some inquiries I was informed that it would be illegal to lay landmines in my garden, it’s officialdom gone mad if you ask me, so alas Mr Fox won’t be going Boom, Boom as I had planned.

Oh well, I’ve settled for hammer some stakes into the ground in the hope that this will thwart his nocturnal tunnelling. If anyone knows of a better way to scare the foxes away then please do let me know. Cheers.     

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx