gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 18, 2017, 01:21:41 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 590241 times)
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #735 on: December 25, 2008, 09:15:26 PM »

Merry Christmas everyone!  santa_kiss
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #736 on: December 31, 2008, 12:08:33 PM »

I hope you all had a good Christmas Happy New Year everybody smiley

Personally, I was so busy on the run up to it that it kinda passed me by when it actually arrived. Our tree is already down and the decs are packed away - no twelve days this time around. I was just thinking about getting rid of the snowy CafeDoom furum banner, but I think I'll leave it until tomorrow. It looks strangely nekkid when the old one goes back up.

We're off out tonight, going to a friend's house, which is what we do most years. A group of us meet up and each bring some food with us. I made a lovely chicken casserole the other day, so my wife suggested that I make it again for tonight, which is what I've done - it's cooking now, and it smells lovely. My wife isn't trusted to make anything edible, so the hosts (knowing her well) said she could make something for the children who are going (because they'll probably not eat it anyway), but at the last moment she got a phonecall saying not to bother - somebody else is cooking for the kids. They just have to find a way to stop her taking a pudding along.

Last time she made a pavlova to take, which looked like it'd been in a car crash on the way there - as if the car it'd been in had flipped and rolled a few times. Hence, this year, instead of taking great care and it still looking like pot mess, she's taking Eton mess. She can't go far wrong with that, surely.

Anybody doing anything exciting tonight?

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #737 on: December 31, 2008, 01:27:16 PM »

Night in for me. I'm normally gigging, but this year I turned the chance down. Just felt - and still do - that I need to kick back and recharge the batteries.

Enjoy your night out!

Health, wealth and happiness to one and all in 2009!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #738 on: December 31, 2008, 01:32:58 PM »

Have a good night in, Del - I'll think of you at midnight and raise a glass to your good health, mate afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #739 on: December 31, 2008, 02:43:58 PM »

I'm avoiding too much celebratory booze tonight so I'm fit to drive early morning. Off to visit my Gloucestershire clan - not by bike this time. Looking at the forecast of freezing fog I'm glad Mrs N has a satnav in her car: I'll just be able to blindly follow such instructions as 'in one hundred metres turn sharp left'.

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #740 on: December 31, 2008, 02:48:19 PM »

Me too - I'm determined not to drink too much tonight. I hate losing the whole of the following day to a hangover, and I'm supposed to be ripping out our old kitchen tomorrow, which isn't something you want to do with a throbbing headache. scratch

starktheground
Critter

« Reply #741 on: December 31, 2008, 08:50:04 PM »

I'm sure I'll be asleep before the witching hour strikes!  santa_grin
evildeadgirl
Stiff

"monsters makes the most interesting peoples"

« Reply #742 on: January 01, 2009, 03:19:13 AM »

Happy New Year:)

"But when folks are horribly mutilated, I feel it's my job to tell others. We take our horrible mutilations seriously up in these parts."
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001)
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #743 on: January 01, 2009, 06:29:57 AM »

Didn't drink too much, but didn't get to bed until 3am, so woke up at usual time feeling very sleepy. Funny how you get used to waking at the same time every morning regardless of what time you want to sleep until scratch

i_abomination
Coffin Maker

« Reply #744 on: January 08, 2009, 10:34:09 PM »

Ugh - went into work at 6 a.m. yesterday and didn't get home until 8 - if that isn't a pain in the ass enough, the schedule looks the same until mid-February.  Oh bleakness.

Tune up all your rusty strings, let every Christian sing - I wanna dance when I go to meet my king.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #745 on: January 09, 2009, 02:33:10 AM »

Ugh - went into work at 6 a.m. yesterday and didn't get home until 8 - if that isn't a pain in the ass enough, the schedule looks the same until mid-February.  Oh bleakness.

A two hour day sounds quite appealing to me afro

I'm working my ass off at the moment.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #746 on: January 09, 2009, 02:48:34 AM »

I'm working my ass off at the moment.

Me, too. The annoying thing about it is how it affects my home life, and even my health. Over Christmas, when I had 11 days off, I was relaxed, fun to be around, I was enjoying life, got a stack of writing and reading done, watched some movies with the family, etc etc. Back to work with a bang, and I'm stressed out, tired, having to force myself out of bed in the morning, finishing work so mentally f'#@#ed I just want to sit in a chair and close my eyes, not talk, no reading, no interest in TV, definitely no mental energy to write, I can listen to music and that's it.

This can't be right.

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
i_abomination
Coffin Maker

« Reply #747 on: January 09, 2009, 03:09:30 AM »

hahah, a two hour work day would be great for me, too, but I think you may've read it wrong.  That's a 14 hour work day - and one that I'd gladly do without.  And it's all paperwork and inventory type stuff.  Meetings... Nothing remotely interesting.  The next month and a half.  I wake up at about 0350 so come 2030, I'm fighting to keep my eyes open.  If it weren't for iced coffee, I don't think I'd make it.

Tune up all your rusty strings, let every Christian sing - I wanna dance when I go to meet my king.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #748 on: January 09, 2009, 05:28:52 AM »

Your 14 hour days take me back to my 'proper' working life as a system manager and teacher. I used to be at the high school with the caretaker at 7am and often didn't leave until he needed to lock up after the evening classes left at 9pm. Okay, most of the middle bit was teaching but the extra time either side, besides marking and lesson prep was installing and debugging software, installing cables, troubleshooting the system. I didn't need to do all the extra - certainlly didn't get paid extra for it, but it was very satisfying to see the kids and staff have a proper working network during the day.

Now I'm fulltime editing and writing, the pressures are quite different. My wife thinks writing isn't work anyway and gives me household chores while shes swanning around the country with her Institute of Physics work. At the moment my 8-month preggers daughter is at home until her new house is ready. It is a delight to take her swimming and to midwifery appointments. So my writing is nearly zero until the baby comes and she moves home.  One of her friends came round with her newly born kid. Isn't it funny how a baby will let you put its whole foot in your mouth 

Geoff
please vote if you haven't for Exit, Pursued by a Bee at http://www.critters.org/predpoll/novelsf.shtml

i_abomination
Coffin Maker

« Reply #749 on: January 09, 2009, 01:41:24 PM »

I actually lucked out today - I sort of pulled a quickie and ran out early before I got hey-you'd into something else.  I think next week it's really gonna hit, but I'm slightly more motivated for it now.  I'm on salary, too, Geoff - so no bonus for me, haha.  I guess just sort of a i-can-do-this satisfaction, coupled with a told-you-i-can-do-this, haha.

Maybe the wife doesn't think your writing is work because she's probably seen you spend countless hours doing it for free, haha. 

Funny you mention the baby thing - the Onion once did an "article" that "proved" babies were in fact stupid, haha.  http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/~arobic/funny/babies.html
It should answer any questions regarding babies and their rearing.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx