gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 01:11:51 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588817 times)
Caz
Critter

« Reply #750 on: January 10, 2009, 02:20:23 PM »

I’ve been working in an oil refinery down on the Thames estuary, close enough to the water so that I can see the tankers at their moorings. Oh-boy is it cold down there, I swear blind I heard brass monkeys singing alto.   

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #751 on: January 10, 2009, 06:57:20 PM »

I've been working in a half-built hotel, with plastic sheets flapping at the window openings and damp concrete all around. It's actually been colder inside the building at times than it has been outside. Midweek, the plasterers asked me to thaw out their water hose with my blowtorch, but it was refreezing as quickly as I thawed it. As they were slapping the plaster on the walls you could see lumps of ice in the mix. Can't see any of it staying on the walls. The painters were slapping emulsion on the walls, but as fast as they tried to put it on, it froze. They tried to water the paint down to thin it, but then it froxe in the buckets they were mixing it in. Ridiculous.

Doing twelve to fourteen hour days in those conditions has really been getting me down. Feel like I've got to make hay while there's still a glimmer from the sun, though. Could be that by the middle of the year there won't be any work around.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
i_abomination
Coffin Maker

« Reply #752 on: January 10, 2009, 07:10:52 PM »

Things really gettin that bad around there?  I've heard England's talkin about goin on the Euro - what a horrible mistake that would be.  Especially with all the eastern countries trying to get on, it would sign a death sentence.

Yeah, I've been lucking out with the cold.  I'm out in the coldest part of the day - right before the sun comes up, but most of it I'm either inside or in my car.  That sounds frickin miserable, Ed.  I frickin hate the cold, but I'm sure my tune'll change this summer when I'm livin in the swamps of Louisiana with a hundred percent humidity to couple the triple digit degrees. 

I think I'll have an office job until I move, though - so that's a nice victory over the cold - the only downside being more hours with no increase in pay, haha.  Can't win 'em all.

Tune up all your rusty strings, let every Christian sing - I wanna dance when I go to meet my king.
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #753 on: January 11, 2009, 03:43:11 PM »

I guess I should be grateful that I still have a job, but this past week management sent out a memo stating that all merit increases would be suspended for 2009. They "hope" to resume "normal" pay increases in 2010. Normal was a maximum of 3% per year. I work in an office, so I can't complain about the cold, either. Hope you guys get better conditions soon.
Grillmeat
Critter

« Reply #754 on: January 11, 2009, 04:10:26 PM »

Wow, hope the work conditions get better soon for you guys.
I think I will never  complain about being at the clinic at 6AM again.............. huh
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 04:10:53 PM by Grillmeat » Logged

OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #755 on: January 12, 2009, 02:14:32 AM »

Sorry about the outage. It was caused by a database error. Not sure what caused the database error, but the server seems to have been a bit sketchy again lately. I've repaired the DB anyway, and we'll have to wait and see if that's done the trick long term.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #756 on: January 12, 2009, 04:12:48 AM »

I'm on guardian watch all daytime lately. My daughter and hubby staying with us while their new house is a couple of weeks from being ready for them. She looks as if she could burst and a little alien leap out any moment. 8 and a bit months pregnant and unsteady on her feet. So everytime she wanted to go out during the icy spell I've gone with her. We both slid around like a Laurel and Hardy sketch.

She has been rounding up friends she recalls having bought my Exit, Pursued by a Bee and urging them to vote for it at P&E. What a doting daughter. I think she's more frustrated than me that Exit stays at #2 it seems no matter how many of our contacts vote for it.

In case you've not done so and would like to, the free vote link is
http://www.critters.org/predpoll/novelsf.shtml

Cheers

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #757 on: January 12, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »

Looks like the hosts are still having problems today. I've sent them yet another complaint

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #758 on: January 12, 2009, 04:08:03 PM »

Started at 8.00 this morning and just finished at 9:00. Didn't even stop for lunch, though I had a break at 6.00ish. Off for a shower and a sleep now. I have a story I want to write, too. Alas, for the time being such luxuries as spare time seem to have gone the way of the car and the holidays. Grrrrr. So much for a life outside of work.  Sad

I wonder if this was what it was like for serfs...

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #759 on: January 12, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »

Quite possibly. It's a bit like the principle behind the workhouse. You accrue a debt by everyday living that can never be fully repaid to the company, but you keep on working in the hope that you can at least keep a roof over your head and food in your belly while you work.

I often wonder what it would be like to have nine acres, a house cow and a few sheep and chickens. With maybe a day or two of outside work a person could happily persist/subsist/exist, I reckon scratch

starktheground
Critter

« Reply #760 on: January 12, 2009, 10:18:07 PM »

I often wonder what it would be like to have nine acres, a house cow and a few sheep and chickens. With maybe a day or two of outside work a person could happily persist/subsist/exist, I reckon scratch

Oh, I bet I could get by easily on that . . . but I'd also have to work from sunrise to sundown to do so!  grin My mom was raised on a farm; there was always something that needed done. . . And homemade bread may taste great, but do you realize how long it takes to make completely from scratch? Sheesh! There's a good reason for that expression "the greatest thing since sliced bread."
i_abomination
Coffin Maker

« Reply #761 on: January 12, 2009, 10:27:03 PM »

I feel your pain, Del.  I went in at 6 and got home at 9,  yesterday.  Here it is just past 4 and I'm up again with a day more bleak than the one before - just one of many before the months out.  I've even got a potential 4 day weekend at the end of the week but I'm looking at it as more of a burden than a break.  There's so much crap to be done, and I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere - like there's just not enough time.  I don't think I feel as much like a serf as I do a hamster on a wheel.

Maybe a coal miner, though.  Work long hours, no real life beyond - and no matter how much work you do, there's always more that can be done.  Behind is the sunlight blearing into the tunnel you entered some time before, and ahead is only a straightline further into the bowels of hell.

Tune up all your rusty strings, let every Christian sing - I wanna dance when I go to meet my king.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #762 on: January 13, 2009, 02:21:21 AM »

And it's being so cheerful that's keeping us all going grin

I spent a fair chunk of my childhood growing up on a farm, so I know what you mean, Angela. It's a different mindset in farming, and it's not necessarily one I could drop into TBH, but a few years ago I did some work for a local farmer whose farm was way off the beaten track in a dead end village (the road only went to the village and not through it to someplace else). It's a tiny village that consists of only ten or fifteen houses. He had never taken a holiday in the whole of his life, and he was in his sixties. He's never even been outside of the county. When I asked him why, he said he was happy there and there wasn't anything he wanted anywhere else. I could see his point - it is a beautiful place, but I don't know if I could really handle the isolation in reality.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #763 on: January 13, 2009, 05:52:43 AM »

I'd enjoy isolation. Seems mean but I've done much less writing and critting since the people in our house doubled in number - only temporary and they are delightful company, butbutbut.

As a teen I used to have a weekend job on a farm between Cheltenham and Gloucester - so not too far from where Del lives. I had to get there just before dawn or an hour after in summer. Most of the work was running repairs of fences and walls - me! Brick walls I hasten to add cos the farm was on lias clay not the limestone of nearby hills. I am to skilled brickwork as a banana is to a wheelbarrow! Doubt those walls remain standing.

Agent sent me a copy of the reject letter from Del Rey for my Left Luggage trilogy. Took them 9 months and Betsy Mitchell was involved at one level of the decision. Liked the premise but this season they're looking for more action thriller type scifi. What I need now is for Exit to hit the #1 spot at the P&E spot!

That reminds me. At the risk of pestering and losing my friends here, there is one day left for the poll. Exit is at #2 but I don't know if one more vote is needed or a thousand. If you feel inclined please click on

http://www.critters.org/predpoll/novelsf.shtml
then scroll down to find Exit, Pursued by a Bee and then hit its button

Your grovelling mate

Geoff

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #764 on: January 13, 2009, 08:28:43 AM »

As a teen I used to have a weekend job on a farm between Cheltenham and Gloucester - so not too far from where Del lives. I had to get there just before dawn or an hour after in summer. Most of the work was running repairs of fences and walls - me! Brick walls I hasten to add cos the farm was on lias clay not the limestone of nearby hills. I am to skilled brickwork as a banana is to a wheelbarrow! Doubt those walls remain standing.

I grew up between Cheltenham and Gloucester. I recall fondly those days of knocking down fences and walls from the nearby farms...  azn

Derek

PS You have my vote, Geoff.

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx