News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_N

Quote from: delboy on January 13, 2009, 08:28:43 AM
QuoteAs a teen I used to have a weekend job on a farm between Cheltenham and Gloucester - so not too far from where Del lives. I had to get there just before dawn or an hour after in summer. Most of the work was running repairs of fences and walls - me! Brick walls I hasten to add cos the farm was on lias clay not the limestone of nearby hills. I am to skilled brickwork as a banana is to a wheelbarrow! Doubt those walls remain standing.

I grew up between Cheltenham and Gloucester. I recall fondly those days of knocking down fences and walls from the nearby farms...  :azn:

Derek

PS You have my vote, Geoff.

LOL. I forget the name of the farm near Churchdown, but I did a bit of knocking down myself. Made sure there was work to do the following weekend.
Thanks for the vote.

Geoff

delboy

Yep, Churchdown was my old stomping ground, from fishing in the old gravel pits, tobogganing on Chosen Hill, mooching along the railway track, and watching the airshows and motorcycle racing at the airfield. Grand days, Gromit. Grand days.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

for a couple of years in the late 1990s my dad lived in Melville Road, Churchdown. He once hired a skip and quickly filled it with broken furniture and junk before neighbours filled it with theirs. Next morning the skip was empty.  It stilll creases me to recall seeing his face.

Geoff

Caz

I never lived on a farm but the house in Antrim I lived in when I was a kid backed onto fields. We had great fun there chasing the cows, building dams in the stream, the farmer weren't very happy with that one, and exploring the woods. We spent a lot of time trying to demolish an old house by throwing stones at it, walking the disused railway lines and trying to make double headed coins by laying two pennies on the live lines. We even used to put our ears to the tracks, cowboy film style, to hear if a train was coming.

Memory's a wonderful thing, it makes me realize how lucky I am to still be alive. 
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

delboy

QuoteWe even used to put our ears to the tracks, cowboy film style, to hear if a train was coming.

Memory's a wonderful thing, it makes me realize how lucky I am to still be alive.

Not sure about memory - but under the circumstances hearing is a wonderful thing to keep you alive, too!

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

JonP

Quote from: Caz on January 13, 2009, 02:07:20 PMdouble headed coins by laying two pennies on the live lines

Ever read Vanessa Gebbie's story "I Can Crush the King, Tommo"? Second in last year's Bridport Prize.

Ed

I voted for you, Geoff - good luck in the poll :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

starktheground

Quote from: Geoff_N on January 13, 2009, 05:52:43 AM
That reminds me. At the risk of pestering and losing my friends here, there is one day left for the poll. Exit is at #2 but I don't know if one more vote is needed or a thousand. If you feel inclined please click on

http://www.critters.org/predpoll/novelsf.shtml
then scroll down to find Exit, Pursued by a Bee and then hit its button

Your grovelling mate

Geoff

Don't apologize. I'd pester too if I were you!  :afro:

Geoff_N

Thanks Ed, and everyone,

The poll ends in 6 hours time and my Exit, pursued by a Bee has swapped places at #1 and #2 several times today. The other book has two authors and so two lots of friends and family - good luck to them too.

If anyone has yet to vote and would like to support a doomer then the link is

http://www.critters.org/predpoll/novelsf.shtml

I'm a nervous wreck.

Geoff

Caz

Quote from: delboy on January 13, 2009, 03:47:50 PM

Not sure about memory - but under the circumstances hearing is a wonderful thing to keep you alive, too!

Derek
:grin:
Quote from: JonP on January 13, 2009, 04:06:58 PM

Ever read Vanessa Gebbie's story "I Can Crush the King, Tommo"? Second in last year's Bridport Prize.

I've never read it, but if it's reminiscent of my childhood days in Ireland then I might give it a go?
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

delboy

A rare glimpse into how life could be today. Decided to take a lunch break and do some writing. Knocked off over a thousand words in 45 minutes. Was right in the zone, standing there with my character, seeing what he was seeing, and (especially for Geoff) smelling what he was smelling. Was great, except for the fact that my lunchbreak seemed to vanish in a flash.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a life where such moments were what one did all the time? Instead, it's back on the treadmill now. Sigh. Still, better a few moments like that than none at all.

Regards,

Derek

Robert B. Parker

Ed

I know what you mean, Del, but at least you're still getting good ideas for stories, too. There's been a few times lately when I've wished I'd had a laptop with me so I could write in my lunch break. I only get half an hour, though. It'd have to be flash fiction :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

This is a much longer piece, Ed. I've even done a first for me and planned much of out before starting. I think that's why I was able to write so much - I knew exactly where I was going.

Regards,
Derek

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

The zany Oz publisher, Lutz Barz has posted reviews of Exit on the web. link in my blog. It has warts and typos and the oddest review but it's positive and urges readers to buy it.

I see the icon Britney Spears has a £10m advance on her life story. I meant to have offered my ghostwriting services but someone beat me to it.

Geoff

starktheground

Wow, and here I was thinking you should actually do something interesting or important to have your life story written.  :huh: