News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Whoah - I've just watched Slumdog Millionaire - excellent film. I can see why it's been tagged for an Oscar or five. Fantastic.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Caz

I went down the rubbish dump today; the car was piled up with old floor joists and gone off plaster. There was a queue when I got there, so just to pass the time of day I said to the guy at the gate, 'you busy then,' he replied that the cars in front of me were the first that had been in that day, the time was round about midday. I said it was typical for everyone to arrive at the same time, he agreed. But it got me to thinking about how odd it is that people with no connection, except for their need to dump some junk, should all choose to do it at the same time. It wasn't as if there were any further cars waiting to enter when I left, so why would this small group of people all head for the same place at the same time? I do believe that people, maybe not all but some, possess some kind of, maybe this is the wrong phrase but I can't think of a better one, telepathic link. I know there are many reasons why this small event could've happened, but it's not the first time I've noticed things like this and it does make me wonder.

A better example of this happened the last time I was on a plane. I took my seat and after a few minutes, this guy ask if he can take the seat next to me. I say, yeah of course he can, and think no more of it. The plane starts down the runway, I open up a book, it was Clive Barker's Coldheart Canyon, and not long after the plane taking to the air the guy next to me falls asleep.

The flight was only a short hop over to Belfast, but I read a fair bit of the book and was engrossed by the story.

As we were coming into land, I closed the book and the guy in the next seat wakes up not long after. He looks over at me and says, 'I just had the weirdest dream, it was all about silent movie stars, it was so strange,' or words to that affect. I started to laugh and said that Clive Barker's book was all about silent movie stars and that he must have picked up on my thoughts as he slept. We chatted about it for a while then went our separate ways. Got to admit though, it was pretty strange.  :shocked:
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Ed

Synchronicity, eh? I've seen too many examples of weird coincidences to rule out some kind of telekenetic/telepathic link between people/animals/places.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

I wrote an article on coincidences and a bit of mathematics to show how some of them aren't as far-fetched as first appears. The piece is in issue #2 of Escape Velocity and is for free download at present at
http://www.escapevelocitymagazine.com

I still collect coincidence type facts if you have any.

I always go to our 'Household waste recycling centre' as soon as they open at 0830. I've never had to queue at that time. On your telepathic experience I took a fridge from my son's flat (I carried it down 64 steps) to the Nottingham city dump on Thursday. As I placed it among about 100 others in the fridge resting place, a thought occurred to me: what if Rob realized he needed parts off this fridge? So I put it next to the only one that stood out - a large bright red SMEG freezer. Sure enough when I staggered (I have a bad knee) up to his penthouse flat, he said: 'I just thought - I could have done with the screws from the front hinge unit.' He'd swapped left to right handles with the new, but same make, fridge but was having trouble with the screws. So after laughing at the telepathy, which isn't a big deal in the circumstances, I went back to the dump with a screwdriver knowing I'd find his fridge easy enough.

Geoff

Ed

Had a gorgeous roast dinner tonight - belly pork roasted on a bed of onions, carrots, celery, garlic and thyme. I put it in at about 3pm, deeply scored and salted. Basted it a few times, served it up with roasted spuds, swede, cabbage, and a lovely thick gravy from the meat juices and roasted veg. The crackling was perfect. Yum :smitten:

Funny part was that my wife bought it a week ago, long before the Jamie Oliver prog about pork. I'd asked her to buy some pork from the butcher last week, ready for this pork and butter bean casserole recipe I found. Trouble was, that recipe required decent sized lumps of pork, so I was thinking belly pork wouldn't work very well. In the meantime I watched the Jamie Oliver prog and saw the roast he did with his belly pork. It looked so good that I thought I'd get on and try it. Glad I did now. The kids wolfed it down. Plus with it being a standard roast it gave me plenty of time to lay the laminate floor in between bastings.

starktheground

Yum, Ed! I think I'm drooling a little here.

Ed

Quote from: starktheground on February 02, 2009, 11:17:24 AM
Yum, Ed! I think I'm drooling a little here.

Yep - it was delicious cold in sandwiches today, too. Very tasty. Will be doing it again for sure :smiley:

Ed

Having a great day today. I rang up to see if anybody was attempting to make it into work, but pretty much everybody of importance was snowbound, or not risking it, so I've taken the day off. Went sledding with the kids this morning and a bunch of us are supposed to be meeting up in the pub later for lunch. Lovely to have an unexpected day off. :smiley:

Anybody else having a similar day?

delboy

Working, here. The benefits of broadband - when all else is stuck at home and unable to work, I'm stuck at home able to work. On the other hand, when I wake up and it's a miserable and dirty day, instead of cycling into the office I can just walk across the landing. Some you win, some you lose!

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Not so easy to make a clean break from work when it's that close to home, but as you say it has its advantages.

I spoke too soon - by midday my day had turned to shit, and I ended up having to drive to a customer about 30 miles away because their heating had packed up (ground source heat pump). The journey there was a tad slippery, but nothing compared to the trip home. We pulled out of the customer's drive and then spent about an hour inching forwards, stopping, inching forwards, to cover the first mile - black ice up the hill and down the other side, cars, vans, buses and lorries sliding all over the place. I set off at six and I've only just made it home ::)

Pharosian

It snowed all day here. I worked from home, which was nice. Several times I looked out the window to see snow whipping around. Then this evening, the local TV station pre-empted the national news to do a special half-hour weather report. "Yep, it's really coming down, and the roads are backed up somethin' terrible... folks are gonna be comin' home late tonight, that's fer shure." OK, they used proper English, but that's basically what they said. The "meteorologist" always get wrapped up in his computer simulations, and shows the same data about three different ways. You'd think the end of civilization was at hand to hear them talk about a simple storm front. I'm originally from a few hundred miles further north, where it REALLY snows in the winter. These guys don't know what an actual blizzard is, so they panic when three inches of snow falls in the same day.

Ed

Yep, and as quickly as it came, it's gone. The roads are all clear this morning and most of the snow has gone from the roofs and gardens here.

Caz

The snow that was dumped here on Sunday night and Monday still ain't shifted. The side roads are still covered by hard ice as are the pavements. The only thing that seems interested in clearing the ice of these roads is the sun, it's been wall to wall since the storm passed. Think I'll get Icarus to deliver my next council tax payment.   
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Ed

Another very cold day at work today. Slightly annoying, too, because I could have got away with not going in. But then I would probably have had to give up a coming Saturday or Sunday if I had taken today off, as we're working to a deadline and there's already too much work to do in the available time.

Ever so quiet in the forum over the past few days. It always seems that way to me if there's no critique session running. Hopefully we can get back with the programme in March.

Geoff_N

Very little snow here so far - none for a few days. Temperatures though have hovered around zero so the roads are too salty for my bike. I hate having to either wash it after every winter ride or need to buy new transmission - chain, cogs, etc - in the spring. We have an abundance of salt being as Cheshire has salt mines - so many that most of our houses mid-county have subsidence problems. They're not just from the salt mining below ground but natural as groundwater removes sedimentary salt and then the surface sinks. As a result Cheshire has more ponds and 'meres' per square mile than anywhere else in the UK.

Anyone need salt? I'll email some to you.

Geoff