News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Nice one, Geoff.

Reading the blog it sounds like things are going well - keep it up!

Regards,

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Yep - sounds great, Geoff - well done :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

starktheground

Things are okay, Ed. And, yes, I totally want it over with! I was due last Tuesday, so I'm pretty uncomfortable now. But it all comes with the territory, I guess. I keep trying to remind myself it's worth it in the long run!

i_abomination

Finally made the move!  Went from freezin my ass off to baskin in 85 degree sun, and it's been awesome.  Until about two days ago anyway when the rain moved in.  But at least I'm back in the States, and only 10 miles from the Texas border, woo!
Tune up all your rusty strings, let every Christian sing - I wanna dance when I go to meet my king.

Ed

Quote from: starktheground on March 13, 2009, 08:00:57 PM
Things are okay, Ed. And, yes, I totally want it over with! I was due last Tuesday, so I'm pretty uncomfortable now. But it all comes with the territory, I guess. I keep trying to remind myself it's worth it in the long run!

A week overdue - poor you. That must be pretty uncomfortable. I hope the birth goes smoothly for you :smiley:

Quote from: i_abomination on March 14, 2009, 10:08:09 AM
Finally made the move!  Went from freezin my ass off to baskin in 85 degree sun, and it's been awesome.  Until about two days ago anyway when the rain moved in.  But at least I'm back in the States, and only 10 miles from the Texas border, woo!

Good to have you back, Elliot. 85 degrees sounds very appealing to me at the moment - the winter is beginning to feel like it might last forever here, although today was a beautiful sunny day. That doesn't mean much in this climate, though - anything could happen tomorrow, from a foot of snow to near tropical sunshine. Nothing surprises me any more ::)

Still, down in my hole it's pretty much irrelevant. When I started this lot a couple weeks ago, I had to climb down a ladder through an 18" square hole in the snow to get to it. Once down there I had to work by the light of a portable work light, which kept going out. My feet were sloshing around in two to three inches of icy cold water and sometimes flooded overnight to within six inches of the three phase consumer unit and its 440 volts at 100 amps. Yeesh. Now that I've nearly finished all my connections they've finally screeded the floor and put in proper lighting, so I can see what I'm up to.

This lot has taken a couple of weeks to do, off and on, and I'm now on my third day of insulating it:

Looks pretty impressive, though, doesn't it? Apart from the temporary electrical connections, that is.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delph_ambi

It looks superb. What the heck is it?  :scratch:

delboy

Mightily impressive! Just hope the foreman doesn't stick his head down the hole and say, "Ed, they've decided they want to plaster the wall before you do that pipework. You haven't got too far, have you?"

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

desertwomble

Some people go to great lengths to make moonshine!

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

Geoff_N

Quote from: desertwomble on March 16, 2009, 12:24:57 PM

Good one, that's what I was thinking!

My computer must be clogging up its arteries cos several sites seem veeerrry slow to load. Yahoo Mail and groups, Cafe Doom even, and other less worthy sites take up to 10 mins to load. However, I am tres busy lately. We've released Escape Velocity number 4 - at last - still sorting the site details but more  or less OK. I'm judging Whittaker Prize entries, emptying a shed in which rats made a home over winter, making ready to go to Cyprus on April Fool's Day for a week's writing shin dig, playing with my 6 weeks old grandson - whether he wants to or not (daugher said: 'Stop buying him toys - he doesn't play with them, he only wants to stare out of the window.' Hah - a born writer!

Must dash

Geoff

Ed

Quote from: delph_ambi on March 16, 2009, 05:12:07 AM
It looks superb. What the heck is it?  :scratch:

Thanks :smiley: The big red thing is a 'header' - a flow and return to a massive boiler comes off the right hand side, and runs underground through an insulated duct for about ten metres. On the left hand side of it all the flows to the heating system come off the top, and all the returns feed into the bottom. It's basically a shunt loop. There's a baffle half way up the header to stop the water circulating through the loop at the expense of the draw-offs.

Other stuff there - the round faced things are pumps. The top right one is a bronze pump (£250 on its own) which circulates water through the domestic hot water pipes so whenever somebody opens a tap anywhere in the building they get hot water instantly, without having to draw off loads of cold water first. The red pump under it is the one that circulates heating water through the shunt loop and back to the boiler. The others pump water around various heating circuits, and the pipes without pumps connected go to underfloor heating manifolds with their own pumps. There's over 4.5 kilometres of underfloor heating pipework connected to that header. The things with the yellow handles are lever valves, which shut off a circuit to each part of the building.

This pic was taken before we fitted the big booster pump set and the water softener, but there's also hard mains cold water pipes there, soft mains, soft tank fed, boosted soft, which all got a bit confusing at times. That's only a small proportion of the basement pipework - it all runs around the ceiling to other ducts as well. Then there's the boilerhouse....

Quote from: delboy on March 16, 2009, 06:20:56 AM
Mightily impressive! Just hope the foreman doesn't stick his head down the hole and say, "Ed, they've decided they want to plaster the wall before you do that pipework. You haven't got too far, have you?"

Derek

It wouldn't be the first time, Del :shocked:

Ed

Quote from: Geoff_N on March 16, 2009, 01:57:35 PM
Quote from: desertwomble on March 16, 2009, 12:24:57 PM

Good one, that's what I was thinking!

My computer must be clogging up its arteries cos several sites seem veeerrry slow to load. Yahoo Mail and groups, Cafe Doom even, and other less worthy sites take up to 10 mins to load. However, I am tres busy lately. We've released Escape Velocity number 4 - at last - still sorting the site details but more  or less OK. I'm judging Whittaker Prize entries, emptying a shed in which rats made a home over winter, making ready to go to Cyprus on April Fool's Day for a week's writing shin dig, playing with my 6 weeks old grandson - whether he wants to or not (daugher said: 'Stop buying him toys - he doesn't play with them, he only wants to stare out of the window.' Hah - a born writer!

Must dash

Geoff

And there was me thinking I was busy :cheesy:

Caz

Looks complicated Ed. I've taken to doing a bit of plumbing over the last few months, showers, sinks, rads that kind of thing. Nothing as difficult as you've been up against. Don't think I ever would've tried it if it hadn't been for the pre-soldered joints, they really are a Godsend those things. It's just a way of trying to drum up a bit more work, the bricklaying side of things is dead down here, come to think of it the building side of things is dead down here. Still the sun was out today, it was warm in the garden and I've got a good book. :cool:   
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Ed

I think I'm going to be flat out for the next four or five weeks, but after that it could get a bit wobbly. TBH, I'd be glad of a few weeks off - I'm absolutely knackered.

It's been a lovely couple of sunny days here, too. What's the betting that when the work runs out it'll pee down until I find some more? ::)

i_abomination

Wow, Ed - that's pretty impressive.  I think the most plumbing I've ever tackled was changing the tank pump in my father-in-law's crapper, haha.

I ended up takin 33 days of leave or so in the process of comin back to the States, but with buyin a house, collectin the crap we need to make it a home, and gettin my car ready for the voyage, it went pretty quick.  So now I'm takin 12 more days off.  Unfortunately, it just makes me want to never go to work again, haha.
Tune up all your rusty strings, let every Christian sing - I wanna dance when I go to meet my king.

Ed

I envy you, and I can imagine not wanting to go back after so long left to your own devices. A taste of 'life how it should be', huh?

My workmate has just gone off to Spain for six weeks touring in an RV. I like the sound of that, but then when you add a six month old baby into the deal, I'm not sure it's going to be all that relaxing from time to time. Six weeks of holiday would be amazing, though. That's enough time to completely relax and forget about work.