gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 05:44:50 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589061 times)
JonP
Critter

« Reply #900 on: March 31, 2009, 03:37:38 PM »

Sounds excellent, Geoff - have a great time!

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #901 on: April 02, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »

Urf - not looking forward to tomorrow. I'm going to have one of my wisdom teeth extracted. I've got five of the damn things, so I'll be back down to four after this. Perhaps I'll suddenly be normal. scratch

In some ways it's been good that I've been so busy, because I haven't really had time to dwell on it until now, and TBH I'm not sure how I feel about it. In one way I'm dreading it, but in another I'm not that concerned about it. I'm pretty sure I'll be bricking it by the time I actually reach the dental surgery, though. What would be great is if it'd suddenly start hurting tomorrow, so that I'll be glad to get rid of it, and actually look forward to having it yanked out.

Anyway, by this time tomorrow I'll probably still have a numb face from the novacaine (I hate that) and it'll hopefully be all over with - that's assuming the dentist doesn't cock it up.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #902 on: April 02, 2009, 10:05:25 PM »

Ooh, good luck with that Ed. Gotta admit, going to the dentist is one of my biggest fears!  undecided
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #903 on: April 03, 2009, 02:42:40 AM »

Thanks, Angela. When he told me, "I think we'll pull that one out," I nearly said, "You'd better get on and do it now, because you won't get me back, otherwise." grin

I've got too much else to think about to be all that worried about it.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #904 on: April 03, 2009, 02:48:37 AM »

Look on the bright side... there has to be a good story in the experience about a rougue (psycho) dentist and a beautiful assistant...

Good luck!

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #905 on: April 03, 2009, 11:30:12 AM »

I don't think there's much mileage in a story about a red dentist, but thanks for thinking of me. I'm just having my last drool-free cup of tea of this evening, and then I'll be off to have me root tugged. Ooer missus azn
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:30:28 AM by Ed » Logged

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #906 on: April 03, 2009, 03:01:35 PM »

Well, that wasn't so bad, actually. He literally injected me, selected the tools he would use, fiddled around a bit, there was a snapping noise, which made me think he'd snapped the root off in my gum and we'd be there for hours, but I was wrong - he'd finished. Good bloke. Job jobbed. I was probably only in there fifteen minutes in total.

The numbness is wearing off now, and it's hurting a bit, but again, not too bad. I've suffered much worse injury before.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #907 on: April 03, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »

Glad it went well. Now it's just acase of sitting tight and finding out what wisdom you've lost.

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Bec
« Reply #908 on: April 04, 2009, 05:36:54 AM »

Glad it wasn't too bad, Ed. You must be relieved it's all over.

My dentist retired this week. I've been going to him for 16 years, and now I'm going to have to get used to a new dentist.  Cry
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #909 on: April 04, 2009, 07:27:31 PM »

Sometimes the worst part isn't the act, but the apprehension leading up to it, huh?!  afro
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #910 on: April 05, 2009, 12:48:30 PM »

Thanks, all.

This was my first proper visit to this dentist - my regular one left the practice and moved away. The new one is South African, and very good. Better than the old one, actually. He was a bit of a knob.

It's been a busy weekend, all told. Tooth out Friday evening. Saturday my wife spots a piano for sale in the local paper, for £120, so I said let's get it for our youngest, because I've been looking for an excuse to buy the electric accoustic for my other nipper, but didn't want to get one something without treating the other the same, so we went and looked at it yesterday evening, gave the guy a deposit, rang a friend to organise a tail lift box van for today, then on the way home stopped into the music shop to buy the electric accoustic for the eldest. Last night went out for the evening to watch comedian Dave Spikey, then on to a friend's birthday party in town. Sank a few brews.

Woke up with a stinking cold today, went and picked up the piano - and boy was that heavy. With the help of the guy who sold it, his son, my brother-in-law and nephew, we managed to set up planks from the back end of the tail lift, straight to his front door at one end of the journey, and straight to our front door at the other, and from there into my nipper's bedroom. Only trouble was the piano wouldn't go through the doorway, so we had to up-end the damn thing. Then we went to watch a daredevil stunt show, featuring monster trucks this afternoon.

Now it's 5:45pm and I'm knackered, ready for work on Monday again rolleyes

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #911 on: April 09, 2009, 03:11:12 PM »

I never took you for a dental phobic wimp, Ed. Hah. The beasts have had too much of my money already but now I've hardly any that have not been filled at least twice.

I've now returned from my writers week in Cyprus and I enjoyed it muchly. I've written an interim account up in my blog. Between you and me I found last year's Northern Cyprus  trip more eye-opening and perhaps more enjoyable simply because it was more 'foreign'. I can't say I approve of the Turkish government's behaviour over the Kurds or  their mysogenic attitudes (in spite of having a woman political leader) nevertheless, the Turkish Cypriots  were  friendly and I enjoyed more exploring the medieval ruins up there. Having said that I did find a flint tool a  couple of days  ago. The area of Cyprus around Agios Georgios where  we  stayed this year  is mostly limestone and chalk. Flint is often found in that  geology, but the piece I picked  up near a  rough  trail near a cliff looked as if it had been chipped to be a small scraping  tool or a rough arrow head. There's no way of knowing whether it was  made 6000 years ago or last month! I am reminded when as a kid I used to scramble around the Cotswolds and often found the odd arrowhead and old coins. I once took quite an obvious flint arrowhead  to the curator of the Cheltenham museum. He kindly took me the basement and showed me rows of Victorian wooden cabinets. He pulled out a drawer. It was stuffed with envelopes. He opened one and it contained an even more obvious arrowhead. Nevertheless, he  took a new envelope, on it wrote my name, the date and the  grid reference  of my find. Then he stuffed it in with the rest. No doubt it is still there!

I returned to find that my grandson, baby Oliver, has  grown and has more control over his head movements. Gaynor bought him a play mirror and he gurgles and smiles at his reflection. I don't think babies have self awareness but he probably considers the image of humans as  hilarious as  other species probably do! Just wait till he discovers it IS his  own face!

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #912 on: April 09, 2009, 05:39:17 PM »

I'm not bothered by fillings and stuff like that, but all the people I know who have had wisdom teeth out have bleated about how bad it was. A girl I used to know had to have her jaw dislocated to have hers taken out, and afterwards she looked like she had done five rounds with Mike Tyson. Another guy at work came out with two black eyes from the bruising. Yet another had the roots keep snapping, and ended up in the chair for three hours, had chunks of gum cut away, then had to go to hospital the next day to have the job finished properly. Seemed like every person I mentioned it to had a horror story to tell about it. So yeah, I was apprehensive, but I still went and put myself up for it. I felt quite elated after it was done - dunno what all the fuss is about.

Glad to hear you had a good time, Geoff. Did you get much writing done?

BTW, your input was required in the crit session regarding a sci-fi question while you were away - FTL travel type stuff, etc. I'm sure you would have a point of view on it afro

Caz
Critter

« Reply #913 on: April 10, 2009, 05:10:40 AM »

I had a couple of wisdom teeth pulled out many years ago. The dentist had his knee against my chest and was pulling for all he was worth. It was painful so I bit him. He was a tad pissed off with that.

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #914 on: April 10, 2009, 06:22:53 AM »

BTW, your input was required in the crit session regarding a sci-fi question while you were away - FTL travel type stuff, etc. I'm sure you would have a point of view on it afro
Please point me at it?

Geoff

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx