News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Quote from: Caz on April 10, 2009, 05:10:40 AM
I had a couple of wisdom teeth pulled out many years ago. The dentist had his knee against my chest and was pulling for all he was worth. It was painful so I bit him. He was a tad pissed off with that.

I rested back in the chair and when we were ready to start I reached over and caught hold of the dentist's gonads. Once I had a firm grip established and he'd stopped wriggling I said to him, "Now, we're not going to hurt each other, are we?" Seemed to work like a charm :shocked:

Geoff - this is the post that started the discussion: http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php?topic=2556.msg26796#msg26796 which in turn sprang from points raised in Pharosian's crit.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

It's happened again - a day off work and I knock out two thousand words in the morning. It is sooooooooooo much easier to write when one isn't working. Just wish I could figure out how to maintain such a position.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

I haven't done  a full crit but I've added my take on the physics and feel  of the story. Thanks for the alert.

Geoff

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

So, how's everybody's Easter break going - got anything planned for the weekend, family visiting, going away?

I hardly know what to do with myself. Being so busy with work over the past few months has meant I've fallen behind with a lot of the home chores, so I'm torn between getting on with that endless list, writing something, or just sitting and relaxing.

Had to go to a call-out at work last night. First time in months I get four days off in a row, and it doesn't work out that way after all. Worst part about it was that it was a waste of time and turned out to be completely unrelated to any of my work. ::)

Oh well... what to do. I think I'm probably going to plant a few veggies this morning, and then do a few chores, and that'll probably run into tomorrow as well, but I think I'll make sure I leave Monday as a day of complete rest. Sounds like a plan :afro:

delboy

Four days in a row for me, too! Yeeha  :cheers:

Spent yesterday morning writing, and in the afternoon took SWMBO into town for a spot of shopping. This morning I've done a tad more writing, some reading and rustled up a fried breakfast for everyone. Need to go and see my folks later. Tomorrow it's my brother-in-law's brithday and wedding anniversary, so it's all round his house for a bit of a do. Monday, chilling and wondering where the four days went. Somewhere in the midst of all that I want to get a few miles in on the bike, too, and play a little bit of geetar, too.

Good days!
Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

delph_ambi

All right for some! I've been working this morning, but have the rest of today and Sunday off, then I'm working again on Monday. No particular plans. Daughter's away - gone down to London to visit her brother, and then they'll both be going down the Isle-of-Wight to see grandma (my ex mother-in-law). Hubby and I will have a quiet evening in. He's bought some half-price Champagne, so it'll be shampers and the Dr Who special tonight, after which we probably won't be fit for much. Tomorrow will be spent dealing with the hangover.

Geoff_N

We were visiting wife's parents today, taking my son and his fiancee and her little girl. Because in-laws were also having three other  family visitors on top, I knew I was to be superfluous and took my rucksack with laptop.  I did loads of writing :) Then we piled into son's car to visit daughter and my baby grandson. Only when I reached home did I realise my rucksack -with laptop - was left at my daughters! Grrrrr. Guess where my sunday bike ride is going tomorrow?

Geoff

delboy

So that was Easter then... came and went and it's now back to the grind. Sigh.

Did manage to write a 5k short that now needs a lot of TLC before being submitted. Bit like my last short (in this month's crit) I fear this may have enough material within it to be better presented as a novel.

Got up at the crack of dawn yesterday and had a really nice cycle ride in the fog. Did just under 30 miles and got hime in time for breakfast and a day's gardening. Now my tender hands are blistered and my legs are aching.

Hey ho, back to it.

Del

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Sounds like a full weekend all round.

Really enjoyed that four day break, myself. I was still working at home, but the weather was nice and sunny and it was good to spend some time at home, so it didn't feel so much like work. Got my kitchen odds and sods finished off. Stuff like bits of boxing that needed doing and the edging strips between laminate floor and other floors, kickboards on the units.

Dug out one of our apple trees yesterday, to make room for a small vegetable patch. Gave it to my brother-in-law, complete with root ball, so it should survive alright, I think.

Twas back to the grind again today, though. Another few busy weeks ahead, I think. The next month is fully booked, but I'm hoping things will ease off (a little) after that. :smiley:

Geoff_N

I signed up for Twitter with my username of geoffnelder. Not a lot has happened. What's all the fuss about?

Anyone else sucked in but found it useful?

Geoff

Ed

That's one I haven't bothered with. I signed up for myspace and facebook and maybe another one, but I've never seen the point of any of them, TBH, and I don't bother looking at them any more. I suppose they might be handy for promotional purposes :scratch:

Ed

Made some tasty meals today. Had a couple of toasted muffins for breakfast, smothered in butter and strawberry jam - lovely, but that's not what I'm talking about. For lunch I made us some pita bread with cracked black pepper corms in it, served it with a sauce I made from tinned tomatoes, fresh oregano, basil, garlic, over which I sprinkled bacon lardons and grated parmesan. Very tasty - the kids loved it, too.

Then for tonight's meal I made a chicken and mushroom risotto with white wine and chicken stock, garnished it with fresh chopped parsley and grated parmesan. The kids each had a friend over, which I was a bit apprehensive about, because other people's kids can be very fussy, but they both liked it, and one even asked what it was, because it was 'lush' and he wanted to tell his mother about it so he could have it again - he asked for seconds, too. Result :afro:

Now, if I could just write something worth keeping :scratch:

Geoff_N

delboy

QuoteJG Ballard. RIP

Don't know much about JG, I'm afraid. I think I saw a few films that were based on hsi work, but can't recall reading any of his work.

Does this mean there's a vacancy in the UK 100 Professional Writers list, now...?  :'(

Derek

Robert B. Parker