gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 09:27:23 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589118 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #975 on: May 13, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »

Ah yes - I left a drop or two of the old claret behind, Geoff. Let's just hope they don't find any more incriminating evidence there. I tell you what, I'm never going to bury the ashes of my victims in that crawl space again, whatever happens, especially not while the urn is still that damned hot

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #976 on: May 19, 2009, 03:22:00 AM »

Went to an appeal hearing at County Hall, yesterday, as part of our attempts to get our son into the school we wanted him to go to. We both adressed the panel, along with other parents, and our appeal was subsequently granted. We were both dreading telling our son, because we knew how reluctant he was to go there, but to my amazement he was overjoyed - he high-fived and hugged his best friend, who now also turns out to be going there, and they're both very excited at the prospect of attending the school.

Go figure.

I wonder what his reaction would have been if we had gone along with his original wishes and not pushed for him to go to this school. It just goes to show, I think, that you can't and shouldn't leave important decisions to 11 yr old kids. The practicalities of getting him there and back every day for the next five years are difficult, but I'm sure we've done the right thing as far as his education is concerned.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #977 on: May 19, 2009, 04:08:56 AM »

He's going to the same school as his best mate. That's all that matters to him. Simple.

Eleven year olds are great like that.  grin
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #978 on: May 19, 2009, 09:14:04 AM »

Congratulations on winning the appeal, Ed. Having good teachers, top-notch equipment, and a pleasant environment should all contribute to a far better experience than what you described of the other school. With luck, your son will make some new friends as well.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #979 on: May 19, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »

Good news then, Ed.

Spent a pleasant afternoon leading a writing workshop to a group in a Welsh seaside town, Llandudno. They bought my books and paid me a fee. Now I have a bit of money to buy some roses for our anniversary tomorrow. Altogether with the Awww - sweet. 

One problem at the session was that although most of the group bought copies of Exit, Pursued by a Bee only 3 bought Escaping Reality. Some of them said: "Yes that's a really funny book and quite naughty. I recommend it." Apparently, their chairman, who I know from years ago, had bought Escaping Reality and lent it to the treasurer, who then lent it to her friend, and so on - like a library book. Good to know they liked it, but not good for sales!

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #980 on: May 19, 2009, 06:50:08 PM »

Thanks for the congrats, Pharosian. Cathy - funny how he wasn't his best mate a few months ago, and now he is. Hopefully the friendship will survive the summer grin

Geoff - sounds like a good day. It must be nice to have fans who think highly enough of your work to pass it on to a friend. It might not pay well, but money isn't everything, is it? smiley

BTW, even with the patchy (crap) weather we had today, one side of my solar panel east-west split shut itself down at 240 degrees Celcius after heating a full cylinder of hot water, for a cost of nothing but running a 40 watt pump. Pretty impressive I think afro
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:55:37 PM by Ed » Logged

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #981 on: May 20, 2009, 05:47:19 AM »

Ed, I envy your construction skills.

At the risk of sounding classist, I had to stifle a laugh on the bus. I clambered aboard to a Hello, Sir from a former pupil sitting at the front. She was too large to walk to the back, where her friend sat. In spite of the passengers in between, the two engaged in conversation.
Though they’re all shite he should see a doctor.
D’ya go to that queer on Glebe Street?
Nah, the Indian at the top.
He’s Australian.
Puss comes out now.
Then a respite as the bus stops to let a family on.
He’s got a bad head now.
Boy to girl. I haven’t got a bad head, ave I?
Girl to boy. Course not.
And green yuck comes out of his ears.
Boy fingers his ear. Mine’s yellow.
Could be causing his bad head.
Girl to boy. Praps you have got a bad head then.
Got crabs too.
Boy to dad, can we get off?

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #982 on: May 20, 2009, 03:52:02 PM »

They're the type of people who go on to have ten kids apiece and a zillion grandchildren before they even hit twenty years of age, aren't they? grin

Another full tank of free hot water today - 300 litres in the thermal store that'll run our towel rails, heat the airing cupboard and give us hot water for washing, etc. It's a great feeling.

People balk at the cost of getting set up with it, but when you compare it to the cost of a second hand car and then consider it saves you money for as long as you own the house, I think it's good value, and it future-proofs your energy needs afro

Caz
Critter

« Reply #983 on: May 25, 2009, 03:31:12 PM »

I went down the seafront today to watch a bit of the air show. I don’t normally bother as it’s on every year and I can see bits of it from my back garden. But it was a nice day so I thought I’d take a cruise down there on the old ten speed. 

The Red Arrows were good. They scared the life outta me when they come roaring in from over the cliff. There was some helicopters. It just don’t look right when they fly with their noses pointed to the ground and the tails aimed at the sky, amazing stuff really. But the show stealer was the Battle of Britain flight. The wonderful sound of those Merlin engines never fails to hit the spot.  afro

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #984 on: May 27, 2009, 04:47:00 AM »

Tacked an extra day's leave to the long weekend to make a nice four day break. As it happened I didn't do much with the etxra day except take a bunch of rubbish down the tip, walk the dog, and go for a bike ride. I failed to get up a particular steep hill (but I will... next time, or the time after) but I did increase my maximum speed to 45mph on the descent. I shall aim for 50 mph soon, but the road was a tad twisty and there were a few cars parked and I didn't quite fancy the idea of someone walking out from behind one of them.

Back to work today...the joys!

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #985 on: May 27, 2009, 05:10:26 AM »

My cousin belted down the same twisting downhill road on his paper round every day for months, until the day he woke up in the back of somebody's car, covered in blood and little cuboid chunks of toughened glass. There had never been a car parked there before.

I'm having a quiet few days, workwise, so I'm taking the opportunity to do a few things at home, in-between pricing jobs and talking on the phone. This recession is really starting to bite now. I've just managed to get a cheque for about 60% of what I'm owed by a builder, which equates to about two month's work. Trouble is, his cheques have been bouncing lately. A few suppliers have put him on stop because of it and the vultures look to be circling. I'll be gutted if I don't get that money, because I've worked damn hard for it and it's meant to be my cushion against the worst of the next few months. Time to say a little prayer, I think.

On the upside, I've been offered six week's work by another guy that I know, and I'm pricing a few jobs.

delph_ambi
« Reply #986 on: May 27, 2009, 06:26:51 AM »

I'm having an enforced quiet week. Half term, so most of my pupils have cancelled and gone off on holiday. That means I don't get paid. Grrr... I don't charge for missed lessons, as that's the way to lose pupils, which I certainly can't afford.  Angry
candyo121
Stiff

« Reply #987 on: May 29, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »

Good morning smiley

I had my writers workshop last evening and it was supposed to be our final meeting. Everyone decided we would continue to meet and instead of once a month we will hold weekly meets and critique circles. I am very excited about that, I really like the face to face critiques with people who will give honest advice and opinions to help me improve my writing. The workshops are always very helpful, too. smiley

When I got home last night, a friend had emailed me to say I was posted on Twitter with the Tweet the Meat contest they do each week. It's a micro horror site that is a lot of fun, anyway, my 'horror tweet' was chosen as one of this weeks winners. That's pretty exciting....never been published by an ezine or micro horror site before LOL Oh well, anything is good I guess smiley

Today I am working sporadically...it's a multitasking day. smiley

Happy Friday everyone!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #988 on: May 29, 2009, 01:11:11 PM »

Weekly? Wow, that's one busy group. I can't imagine having the time to crit that often and write as well. I'm at an all time low as far as my own productivity is concerned. It's getting better as my workload eases off, though.

On a completely unrelated subject, I came home to find my solar panels had got my thermal store up to 75 Celcius by 5:30pm, which is great. That's enough hot water for all four of us to have a shower, and run a towel rail circuit for an hour afterwards to dry the towels, and still have enough left over for other things. All on free and sustainable energy.  cool Tres cool

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #989 on: May 29, 2009, 01:59:42 PM »

They'll be taxing sunlight soon, Ed. Same as they do rainwater...

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx