gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 05:43:24 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589059 times)
JonP
Critter

« Reply #1050 on: July 07, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »

Huge congrats, Geoff and the very best of luck to you!

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1051 on: July 07, 2009, 06:24:12 PM »

Les Floyd we met first at  BeWrite too, and Sally Quilford. I've met those in person and Donna, Cait and Alex Marr. I sometimes visit authors I meet on forums when I travel around on my cycling tours.

Thanks for the best wishes. I need them, especially in the first few months / years!

Geoff

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1052 on: July 08, 2009, 03:03:43 AM »

Cracking news, Geoff. I'm sure you'll do a splendid job!

Congratulations,
Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1053 on: July 11, 2009, 09:05:47 AM »

Spending today clearing out my garage and moving lots of stuff around. Looked at my elderflower champagne bottles and found they're ready to drink, having been bottled for more than 14 days, so I decided to try one of the smaller bottles to see whether it worked. The cork came out with an impressive POP! of pressure, and as I poured the contents into champagne flutes, it fizzed like the real thing dance Tastes lovely, too.

For lunch I made us minute steaks, cooked on a griddle pan and basted with garlic butter, served with fresh minted peas, fried onions, and proper home made chips, par boiled, par fried, and then deep fried. Gorgeous, especially when washed down with some elderflower champagne afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #1054 on: July 11, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »

Where was it you live again? Think I'm coming round for lunch next weekend  grin
SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #1055 on: July 11, 2009, 01:06:10 PM »

Hooray! Work is good!  afro

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #1056 on: July 11, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »

Where was it you live again? Think I'm coming round for lunch next weekend  grin

Is that lunch with lashings and lashings of Jerusalem artichokes?

DW Cheesy

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1057 on: July 11, 2009, 03:56:38 PM »

Strangely, I don't have any yearning to try them scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1058 on: July 11, 2009, 05:05:24 PM »

After two years since starting it, this evening I wrote The  End of my magic realism novel, Xaghra's Revenge. Oodles of fieldwork research on Gozo and in various Mediterranean museums and it's  104k words. It's going through the BSFA crit group and I'm sure to lacerate at least 4k. I already know the chapters are too long - at  least in accordance of the mini-chapters now prevalent in contemporary novels. So still much work but it felt good to write those two words.

My wife was in York these two days teaching rocket science to physics teachers. Imagine our in-family jokes about things being as simple as... On the way to Chester station to pick her up tonight, it was raining. So the thousands of well-dressed Chester race goers presented a cross between a wedding reception and a wet T-shirt competition  bleh

At the station carpark I had to swerve to avoid two suits brawling in the street puddles. I reckon their suits cost more than all my clothes, but they'll need dry cleaning now!

An eventful day,
Geoff
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:06:15 PM by Geoff_N » Logged

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1059 on: July 11, 2009, 06:19:43 PM »

Congrats on finishing your novel, Geoff - I hope you find a good home for it soon smiley

Had to chuckle at your comment about your wife teaching rocket science to teachers. I can't imagine what it must be like to have a super intelligent wife. Mine has many fine attributes, but I've yet to find anything she knows much about, apart from soap operas. I encouraged her to do 'O' Level law, years ago, when her employers said they'd train her to be a legal exec if she could pass the 'O' Level. She took the evening course but dropped out after just a few weeks - kept falling asleep during lessons. That was twenty-two years ago, and she hasn't had, let alone fulfilled any academic or career ambitions in the meantime.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1060 on: July 12, 2009, 06:51:40 AM »

Excellent news on the novel, Geoff. Fingers crossed all that work pays off.

Just come back from a Sunday morning bicycle ride. Did 50 miles round the country lanes, over a corner of the Malverns and back through a pretty horrendous storm. My legs were aching pretty badly by the last few miles but it feels good to have done  all those miles, and still be home by 11:00am for coffee and toast.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1061 on: July 12, 2009, 11:08:17 AM »

Just come back from a Sunday morning bicycle ride. Did 50 miles round the country lanes, over a corner of the Malverns and back through a pretty horrendous storm. My legs were aching pretty badly by the last few miles but it feels good to have done  all those miles, and still be home by 11:00am for coffee and toast.

Derek
Agreed completely. Marvelous to have conquered self doubts after looking at the hills, the distant cumulo-nimbus and felt the headwind but so exhilirating to have achieved it. Better than sex. Well...

Geoff

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1062 on: July 13, 2009, 05:20:17 AM »

Got up super early to help my dad with some gardening (now he's retired it's all he does), only to find he doesn't need me yet  rolleyes it's a lovely day in Scunthorpe, just right for a spot of re-turfing  grin

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Caz
Critter

« Reply #1063 on: July 24, 2009, 02:40:30 PM »

There was a bang like a bomb going off, then a rattling against the window like machine gun fire and I instantly thought the north Koreans had invaded. But no, it's just another British summer time storm, oh joy. pissed   

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1064 on: July 24, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »

Yeah, we had that thunder and toronto rain this afternoon. Good old fashioned English summer. Can't wait to get away  rolleyes
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:44:20 PM by Ed » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx