gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 12, 2017, 03:18:00 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588300 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1080 on: August 15, 2009, 05:46:16 PM »

Did a book signing at Waterstones in the Manchester Trafford Centre today. I've had more successful signings, only 12 copies signed and sold. This was because my fans had mistakenly joined a huge queue a few hundred yards away at WH Smiths. The author, her pen raising friction-burn smoke, was Lorna Byrne, and her book - Angels in My Hair. I thought it was chick lit and asked the manager at Waterstones, but he'd not heard of her. I sneaked out and asked one of her mesmerised queue. Lorna is Irish and since a baby has seen and talked to angels. Her wisdom and advice from the ethereal is in the book. What chance had I? Hey ho.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy conversations with folk wanting author-signed books (often no matter the genre). One man asked me about Escaping Reality. So I gave him the humorous thriller concept - fugitve escaping jail - across the moors to the Lake District and then to Amsterdam to prove his innocence. More chat with the man and he was really interested. Eventually I said - Do you want me to sign a copy for you?
"Oh, no," he said, "I only read biographies."

Anyway, Waterstones want me back. I told them perhaps near Christmas, but I'll check on where Lorna is first.

Geoff

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1081 on: August 17, 2009, 08:34:36 AM »

Sigh. Summer hols are fading fast in the rear view mirror. Back at work with a vengeance. Lucky to have a job and all that, but...

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1082 on: August 17, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »

It's absolutely gorgeous here - I'm currently sitting on our patio area, overlooking the Chianti hills. I can see for about ten or fifteen miles, and all there is between me and the horizon is olive groves and forests. To my right there is a huge vinyard covering acres and acres of the hillsides - beautiful. I made a tomato and Parmesan pasta dish for dinner, with oregano and fresh basil sauce. Fresh crusty bread drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt. Lovely washed down with a bottle of local vino.

Don't want to go home.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1083 on: August 17, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »

My girlfriend's treating me to a long weekend away soon in Berwick.  I'm really looking forward to getting away from EVERYTHING for a few days.  Woop!

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1084 on: August 17, 2009, 04:17:13 PM »

A few days away from the daily grind is great - I would have been happy wth a week at Ourgate if only it had stopped raining for five minutes in the past month. I hope you enjoy your break, Rev afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1085 on: August 18, 2009, 06:52:03 AM »

Thanks Ed  smiley  The only thing that might dampen my holiday is that my missus loves itinereries, and has already drawn up a schedule of things to do  Cheesy

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1086 on: August 18, 2009, 08:21:53 AM »

I hate itineraries - I'd far rather just go with the flow while on holiday. Right now I'm only a few miles outside of one of the most beautiful cities in the world, but we've decided it's too hot to go wandering around old buildings and museums with the kids, so we're going to leave it until we get bored. If we don't get bored then we won't go. Some people might say this is a mistake, but the whole point of the holiday is to relax and enjoy ourselves, so what the hell.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1087 on: August 18, 2009, 09:19:11 AM »

I really wanted to go to Silves when I was in Portugal - it's one of the old Moorish fortified towns, and I love an old castle, me. But having ventured out in the daytime on a few occasions we decided it was far too hot to be going site-seeing, so we bought some fresh bread and ham, some cold beer, and sat by the pool instead!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #1088 on: August 19, 2009, 05:12:27 AM »

The final proofread is done. Ah, the relief! The discussions over how far to bend the rules regarding commas are over. The trouble with commas is that if you go absolutely by the book, you don’t necessarily convey the intended meaning, and you certainly can’t go entirely by the book in direct speech, or everything sounds far too formal. If you decide to trust your word processor’s grammar-checker, you end up inserting semi-colons unnecessarily all over the place, so you change half of them to dashes, and then think – hang on a minute. This is stupid. What’s wrong with a comma? And then you count twenty commas in one sentence and take half of them out, and your proof-reader tells you you’re breaking grammatical rules and tries to re-instate them. You’re so busy counting commas that you nearly miss the fact that half your name is missing from the biography page, and a line that should be straight on the cover has a small kink in it.

Too late to change things now. ‘Small Poisons’ is winging its way over to the printers even as I type these words. I will have the first copies in my hands in a fortnight or so. That’s the point at which I’ll notice that Esmerelda’s name changes to Albertine halfway through, and Edgar’s eyes change from blue to brown depending on whether he’s appearing in odd or even numbered chapters.

Luckily none of these characters appears in the book.
JonP
Critter

« Reply #1089 on: August 19, 2009, 06:01:56 AM »

... as far as you know.

Congrats on finishing it. My WIP has almost hit 10000 words, and I'm feeling way out of my depth already.

delph_ambi
« Reply #1090 on: August 19, 2009, 06:17:23 AM »

Ooh, wouldn't it be weird if Esmerelda etc were in the book when it came back from the printers  Shocked

I love writing novels. I've been itching to get back to the one I was writing before, but this one really needed to be done and dusted with single-minded something-or-otherness first. Next job is all the marketing (yuck). Sitting in empty bookshops with a pile of books, a bright smile, a pen, and a plate of liquorice allsorts.
JonP
Critter

« Reply #1091 on: August 19, 2009, 06:45:29 AM »

I've never had the commitment to write one before (apart from a kid's book that I wrote about 15 years ago and which stretched to 35000 words), but I'm being pressured by loads of people in my writers' group to do this one, and every time I try to abandon it they shout at me.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1092 on: August 19, 2009, 09:57:56 AM »

I've just started writing a novel - the first time
in about three or four years. I'm finding it difficult to stay enthusiastic about, and then I think if I can't stay enthusiastic about it, then what chance do I have of keeping a reader interested scratch

I think my main problem is my typing speed. If I could type as fast as my wife I could write a novel in a fortnight.

delph_ambi
« Reply #1093 on: August 19, 2009, 10:05:08 AM »

That's a good point, Ed. I type far faster than I can write longhand, ie pretty much the speed I talk. It makes a difference. I taught myself to type from an old-fashioned 'teach yourself typing' book a few years ago when I did a word-processing course at college. It was well worth the effort. Your fingers need to be virtually as fast as your thoughts. Don't need to be accurate, as you can always go back and edit, but you need the speed.
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #1094 on: August 19, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »

I type pretty much the speed I talk.

Crikey! That fast?

DW Cheesy

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx