gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 18, 2017, 01:30:36 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 590250 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1095 on: August 19, 2009, 10:52:47 AM »

I've become quicker as time has gone by, but I still sometimes lose the thread of what I was saying before I get around to putting it down in words. That's really annoying, especially when you can't then recall the great plot twist you had in mind for the briefest of moments.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1096 on: August 19, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »

I've become quicker as time has gone by, but I still sometimes lose the thread of what I was saying before I get around to putting it down in words. That's really annoying, especially when you can't then recall the great plot twist you had in mind for the briefest of moments.

Been there. Try receiving that great idea while stomping on your pedals up a hill. You get off at the top (cos no cyclist likes to re-start halfway up), get out your notepad and pen, then... aarrggh.

Your Italy hol description gives me itchy feet - marvelous.

Geoff

Caz
Critter

« Reply #1097 on: August 19, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »

Couldn't log on to the cafe last night, kept getting a timed out page, and  I've noticed that the picture of my cat (it's not actually my cat, she doesn't wear glasses) has disappeared from the top left hand side of the home page. As has the access to any personal messages and other assorted stuff that gathers in that corner. Strange indeed. Shocked

Sweltering hot down this way today. We talked about filling the skip with water and having a swim. Didn't do it but the thought was tempting.

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1098 on: August 19, 2009, 04:44:28 PM »

Yep - sorry about that - it's our crappy hosts again. Had me worried sick because I though it was a fault on the forum itself. The only Internet access I've got at the moment is on my iPhone, so it's not easy to work around a cpanel to rectify faults. I saw a php error line, so logged into repair our database, but it made no difference. Turned out apache had hung on our server, AGAIN. Hence I had to email our hosts and ask them to reset it. Tossers.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1099 on: August 19, 2009, 05:49:16 PM »

Been there. Try receiving that great idea while stomping on your pedals up a hill. You get off at the top (cos no cyclist likes to re-start halfway up), get out your notepad and pen, then... aarrggh.

Your Italy hol description gives me itchy feet - marvelous.

it is glorious here, but boy is it hot - even the locals are complaining about the heat, saying this is Siscilian weather, not Tuscan. It's way too hot for me. The mornings. From about five until nine are beautiful, though - cool and crisp. Lovely.

Geoff
[/quote]

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1100 on: August 20, 2009, 03:27:25 AM »

Caz - is everything back to normal for you now?

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1101 on: August 20, 2009, 05:00:08 AM »

The Cafe Doom site is working fine for me. Much quicker and smoother on this new PC than on last year's Dimension.

Geoff

Caz
Critter

« Reply #1102 on: August 20, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »

Caz - is everything back to normal for you now?

No, there's still no sign of the kitty and other assorted bits and pieces that appear in that corner.

It's no big deal though and can easily wait until you're back from the hols.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:39:44 PM by Caz » Logged

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Woody
AnnoyEd

« Reply #1103 on: August 20, 2009, 03:20:56 PM »

Ed, about things unusual; my "Show unread posts since last visit" link fails to show any unread posts! Anyway, as Caz said, nothing to worry about and carry on enjoying your hols.

Administrator

« Reply #1104 on: August 20, 2009, 03:34:40 PM »

Ok - only one more full day left Sad so I'll take a look at it on my return fairly soon. I've got a hunch it might be because you've gone up a user group - there's a bunch of stupid settings I can select for each user group that open and close restrictions for all sorts of things. It's so mind numbing that I never bothered to set it up properly. I've got a funny feeling it'll end up having something to do with that bloody thing.

As for the unread posts thing - I've no idea what that's about scratch

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1105 on: August 22, 2009, 12:35:23 AM »

Woody -- is there any chance you've recently upgraded the version or brand of browser you're using to one of those that displays a page of screen shots of your frequently visited sites? I'm using Safari 4.0 and Firefox 3.0 (depending on which computer I'm on), and both of those browsers now have this feature whenever I ask for a new tab. Since Cafe Doom is one of my most frequently visited sites, it shows up as one of the icons.

The problem is that if I don't click that icon FIRST, that constitutes a "visit" so that when I come back a couple of minutes later and want to view unread posts, I'm out of luck. I've learned to avoid asking for a New Tab, or when I can't avoid it, to try to visit CD first. When both of those fail, I click the Home link and look for the "new" icons in the list of Recent Posts.

The first few times this happened to me, I thought the Recent Unread Topics feature had stopped working, but then I worked out what was going on.

It just occurred to me that if a person had more than one "favorite" site to read new posts on, there would be no way to avoid this situation. Which made me realize that there must be a preference for turning off those previews, and sure enough, there is. In Safari the feature is called "Top Sites" and you can choose whether you want that when you open a new tab or just your home page or a blank page, etc. I'm not on my PC right now, so I'm not sure what it would be in Firefox, but I'm pretty sure there is an option to change that. If you're using IE, well... God help you.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1106 on: August 22, 2009, 04:50:14 AM »

I'm sitting in the departure lounge of Pisa airport at the moment. Our flight has been delayed by half an hour. I've reached that point in the journey where I just want to be home as soon as possible, but I've got another four hours of travelling left.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1107 on: August 22, 2009, 05:25:52 AM »

Me and my big mouth. Now we've been delayed another four hours...

delph_ambi
« Reply #1108 on: August 22, 2009, 06:17:50 AM »

Ah, the joys of travelling.  undecided

I'm about to depart for the Lake District (with a paintbox). Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to get there, but...
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1109 on: August 22, 2009, 12:51:19 PM »

Ah - back in good old gloomy blighty. It's cold, overcast, not yet raining, and it feels like home. Dunwantoomuch of that there bluskiededsunniness - caint be good fer ye.... rolleyes

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx