News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

A'm back, like. Aye, it were borin as fook - me damn brogues fell apart - soles flappin aroond like a clown's shoes, they played crap music all night and even after four pints of Kronenburg a'm sober as a judge, like. Disgustin... :huh: Spent fifty quid annaall.... :shocked:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

Opened a bottle of elderflower wine tonight, and had a couple of glasses of it with my grub. Tasted lovely. Wish I'd made more. Strong stuff, too - after two glasses my legs started getting a pins and needles sensation, like they were going numb. God only knows what it's doing to my liver :grin:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

Go steady on that homemade brew, Ed. Pins & needles sounds like it is more like anaesthetic you've made!

Whenever my grandson baby Oliver cries for any reason, me singing 'I can sing a rainbow' always quietens him. I wonder if it is the song, or my voice? If my voice - is that why so many of my pupils fell asleep in my lessons?

Geoff_N

went blackberrying in field near us off Lache Lane. I tried to get too many in my hand and one fell. I was going to look for it cos it was a big one but a field mouse beat me to it!

I had cause to regret going there in my shorts. Prickly undergrowth - good job there were dock leaves to assuage the nettle  stings. I was hoping the farmer would come along and try and charge me for the berries. I would gladly pay but would ask his name first. He'd plowed over the public right of way footpath last autumn - I'd have words.

delph_ambi

Too damp and mizzly here to even think about going blackberrying.

Managed to photograph a wasp through the double-glazing. Nice to be able to get so close with no danger of being stung.

Geoff_N

excellent photo, and your windows are cleaner than mine.

Ed

That's pretty damn good for a pic through double glazing :afro:

I'm not overly keen on blackberries - too many seeds for my liking. I'll eat them, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick them.

Got five gallons of plum wine in the making, a gallon of elderberry, and a big tub full of grapes from a friend, so that's hopefully going to turn into another gallon of wine. That's roughly 35 bottles of vino collapso  :cheesy:

Ed

Seems to have been a lot of talk about the economy over the past couple of days. Many people saying it's getting worse. I can't tell what the hell's going on. Personally, I'm very busy, and I've been told there's plenty of work to last me until Christmas at least. Hopefully that's true.

I wish I knew more about economics - I'd love to understand commerce. To me it seems like a huge machine where we're the parts and our only functions are to save the rich from working, and to procreate in order to keep the machine in spare parts.

It's easier to understand how it was years ago, before the modern age. If you sailed a ship to India and brought back a cargo of spice to sell, you took something plentiful from one place and then sold it at a profit in a place where there was none. Now the same sort of thing is happening, only now it's along the lines of pretty much everything being made in China, where the labour is cheap, and will be until the people of that country catch up with the rest of the world. Meanwhile, Britain makes next to nothing - manufacturing industry has all but died, and we are now a service based economy, meaning we all have jobs looking after each other, basically. So what we do as a nation is look after each other and buy stuff that's made in China. We give our money to the Chinese, and to countries that are energy rich, which in turn makes them financially rich, at which point they turn up over here and buy up anything of value.

So to summarise, we seem to end up owning nothing of consequence and working to feed ourselves and serve other people. Is that how it's meant to be? Is it sustainable? Am I missing something? WTF's it all about? :scratch:

Caz

I think you got it just about right there, Ed.

The way I see it is that a service economy works until one small part of it misfires, as we're seeing now. Folk caught up in that misfire stop calling on the other services offered, usually due to a lack of funds, this leads to another misfire and the engine stalls. Now we're all pushing this jalopy along, looking for a down hill stretch and hoping the thing bump starts. Meanwhile the driver and shotgun rider sit there without a care in the world.

I hate to see my country being sold off to the highest bidder. It will stop one day though, when there's nothing left to sell and the country is no more than... well, a mixture of all the kinds of greed the world has to offer. We are truly fucked.
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Ed

I'm feeling absolutely fried at the moment. I've got eight jobs and four clients to manage, and each of them is baying for me to do their work first. The earliest I've got home this week is 6:30, and I'm under ridiculous pressure to work Saturday, but, even if I wanted to, it's my son's birthday. I've arranged to spend the day with him, doing the things he wants to do, and that's that.

The thing is, even if you put yourself out for these people, you never build up any credit for the times you've got them out of the shit - they never give you a break - you always have to do what they want at the click of their fingers, otherwise you're suddenly the lowest of the low. It's a case of what have you done for me lately, every time. If you dropped dead from exhaustion on the job they'd step over your corpse to reach the phone and have you replaced the next day. Within a week it'd be Ed who?

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that I've still got the work, but sometimes it drives me insane :idiot:

Rev. Austin

My girlfriend has a job wherein she's always working overtime, always doing extra work, always helping out, and never gets any real credit.  It pisses me off because the job actually makes her ill, and it even made her suffer a seizure a couple of years ago, because of stress...yet she daren't look for anything else as she's used to the money.  And then the recession 'came along' and she uses it as an excuse to stay where she is.  ARGH!  On the one hand, I'd rather be out of work than stuck in a similar loop, but on the other...I'm bored of being unemployed :D
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

delph_ambi

Smaller scale, but I have loads of pupils who don't bother to let me know when they're not going to turn up. The number of times I've been standing around, twiddling my fingers, doing nothing at all just in case they arrive. As they can arrive as much as half an hour late, I have to put great chunks of 'empty' time between lessons. Don't get paid for that, obviously. I have to teach six days a week, or I'd lose pupils, as they all have just a tiny 'window' when they can come. And that can be morning, afternoon, and/or evening, dotted around at odd times. Drives me nuts. The sooner I become an international best-selling author the better.  :tdoff:

delboy

Seems to me that this is the norm' rather than an exception. It must be a sign of the modern world - or at least the British attitude to it, and the constant desire to try and do the right thing for everybody even at huge personal cost. I know I've had a week like that. At least there's no pressure to work Saturday this week - I'm looking forward to a chilled out day. On the downside, finishing late, often having worked very intensely all day with few - if any - breaks is not a good conducive to writing, is it? The most I can manage in the evenings is to walk the dog, eat some food, and sleep.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

delph_ambi

You're right that it's not conducive to writing. There are other problems, too. I made a real effort yesterday to do some decent writing in between the pupils who didn't turn up, and got a fair amount done. Then I went to cook myself something for tea, and found there was no food in the house other than a tin of pilchards. I hate pilchards, but keep a tin in for emergencies. I can't remember the last time I went out food shopping, but I'm going to have to squeeze in a trip to ASDA today somehow, as if I don't, all I have to eat today is the other half of the tin of pilchards.  :'(

Ed

True - I can't seem to write anything worth keeping at the moment, and haven't been able to for months - months when I thought I'd have lots of downtime and plenty of opportunity to write ::)