News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Fingers crossed for you. I hate that feeling when you realize you've done something awful like that. It feels like you've been eviscerated, doesn't it.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Woody

mustn't have my stuff here, ed keeps it.

Caz

I tried three of the free apps and thought I had found some of the stories, but all I found were shortcuts no sign of the stories themselves. Looks like it's a lost cause.

Quote from: Ed on October 20, 2009, 04:29:11 PM
It feels like you've been eviscerated, doesn't it.

I had to look up 'eviscerated' in the dictionary Ed and it does feel a bit like that. We all put a lot of effort into this story telling and to lose everything in one fell swoop is a real  :nk: but it's a lessoned learned and one I won't forget in a hurry.

I'll salvage some of the stuff from the crit group as 'Damned' was one of the stories I'd been working on, just got to try and remember what the hell it was that I added to it.

Quote from: Woody on October 20, 2009, 08:19:10 PM
Bloody hell, Caz. That's bad

Not your fault Woody. If I'd spent a bit more time thinking about what I was doing instead of charging in like a runaway bull, nothing new there, the I'm sure the outcome would've been different. 
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Ed

Sorry to hear that, Caz. I asked some friends and they suggested this one - http://hotfile.com/dl/15198197/8946799/GetData.Recover.My.Files.Professional.v4.0.2.441.Cracked-DJiNN.rar.html - might be better than the ones you've already tried.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

Had a proper nightmare last night, but was strangely calm throughout. I dreamt I was at work, patching together some electrics with spade connectors and the like while the electrician made concerned noises, and said things like, "You're going to do it like that, are you?" with a raised eyebrow. I tried plugging one wire into another, hoping for the best, then there was a fizzing noise, followed by smoke from behind the panel. The electrician suggested I pull the contacts apart, but I'd already looped a screwdriver behind the wire and given it a good yank by the time he'd finished saying it. Then the junction box below the one I was working on set light to a stack of paper that was wedged up underneath it. It burned fiercely, as if in a highly oxegenated atmosphere.

I picked up a towel and legged it outside to a tank, where I dunked the towel, rung it out and ran back into the building, but by the time I reached the fire, the electrician had already put it out. It wqas only then I realised how stupid it would have been to try and put out an electrical fire with a wet towel :idiot: The dream ended there, and I awoke feeling quite calm. If anything I was actually feeling pleased at having had a dream I could actually remember. Weird.

Caz

Thanks for the link , Ed. I'm going to give it a try now.

Sounds like a strange dream btw, premonition maybe. The one I had last night turned out to be. It was about cheese and cling-film and it reminded me that I had to buy some today. :cool: 
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Rook

I am sick. I have a nasty little virus.
My head aches splintering all sound into shards of pain. Every time I move the room spins delightfully. Lovely little shivers run up and down my lethargic body as I stare at the computer screen, wishing I was not too distracted to write something of substance.
I HATE BEING ILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Ed

Yeah, it sucks mightily. I had a pretty bad cold last week - head spinning, hot flushes, coughing, sneezing and generally dopey. I dosed myself regularly with ibuprofen and lemsips laced with elderflower cordial. The worst of it was over with after about two days, but it still lingers a week later.

I hope you're feeling better soon, Rook :buck:

Rook

Thanks for the commiseration, Ed!

I'm using my mother's cure-all trinity- Unsweetened cranberry juice, yogurt and tea. And ibuprofen.
Between them I'm sure I'll be over it in a few days, but my grandmother (who I can thank for this) has a sinus infection on top of it.
Luckily, she's a tough old bird.
Of course, it doesn't help that its been cold and grey all day.

Allright, I'm done complaining.

Thanks again!
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

delboy

4.30 am. Just finished my toast, enjoying some coffee, and then I'm doing the run to Heathrow and back. It's half term and 50% of the family is off to New York. I have a week of dog and boy sitting, and hopefully writing several short stories. But first I have to wake up.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

I love the feel of airports, which is strange because I don't usually like crowds of people. Must be some kind of happy vibe, I suppose, like the atmosphere at a concert.

Have you got the time off work, Del, or is somebody else looking after your son during the day?

delboy

Back now. 200 miles before 9.30. Feels like lunchtime already.

Yep, I love airports too. Just wished I was off to Manhattan as well. But I do have the week off. The last month has been manic at work so I'm just happy to have some time to chill and, hopefully, write. Might have to do a bit of work work on Monday but that depends on whether a script/speech I wrote for my vice-president meets her requirements or not. The brief she gave me was very, uh, brief so I don't know if what I wrote meets the needs. Doing such things is only a tiny part of my job, but it's nice to be able to use the old writing skills in the workplace once in a while.

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Clocks fall back an hour tonight. Lighter mornings, darker earlier in the evenings, rain, cold, dismal, dreary, urgh...  :gross: I hate this time of year.

delph_ambi

I love this time of year! The smell of the leaves, the colours, the sharp, bright frosts... everything!

Ed

It's not so great if you're colourblind with a blocked nose. :buck: