gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 10:40:03 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589904 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1215 on: November 03, 2009, 05:04:37 PM »

Glad you are still with us, Ed. Funny thing is that on my bike ride to Nottingham, I hurtled down a steep hill and thought - wow, if my brakes melted and I flew over that wall at the bottom into that overgrown field, no one would find me for weeks. Instead of thinking that I haven't made a will I thought about the forums I inhabit. Would I be missed - probably not, especially after a few weeks. Sometimes I get emails from folk on other forums I've let go but there are so many forums and so many members leaving them, a disappearing member (so to speak) wouldn't be so odd.

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1216 on: November 03, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »

You've been missed here in the past, Geoff. I remember making enquiries in various places because I hadn't seen you around in a week or two. Whether Gaynor would come online and say you'd taken a header would determine whether we would find out if anything happened to you. My Mrs doesn't have any interest in anything online, so the chances are nobody would know what had happened to me if I suddenly stopped coming online.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1217 on: November 04, 2009, 03:12:06 AM »

With the above in mind I'm thinking of writing an 'in the event of my death' note with the web links and passwords, etc, and requests. Not a will exactly but similar. I'd leave a copy on my main home PC but no one might look closely enough inside the files though son and daughter might dive in there to retrieve family photos and docs so I'd leave a copy there. Also in the family safe - funny how all our valuables can be put in a tiny box with room for more.

Geoff

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1218 on: November 04, 2009, 11:00:36 AM »

With the above in mind I'm thinking of writing an 'in the event of my death' note...

Odd... After reading the posts about Ed's near miss and your long biking treks, I had a similar impulse. I've wondered in the past what would happen if I got hit by a truck on the way to work one morning. How would people in the online community ever find out? One of the authors on another forum died a couple of years ago, and her husband notified the admin. I always wondered how he knew how to do that... whether his wife left instructions (her death was sudden and unexpected, though, so it wasn't done in anticipation, as it might have been had she had a lingering illness) or whether he just went through her browser shortcuts on her computer.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1219 on: November 04, 2009, 11:59:19 AM »

Yeah, I too knew a writer friend from another forum who passed away unexpectedly. She was someone I'd spent time with in the real world and got on really well with. Hadn't heard from her in several months and it was a shock when I visited that forum and discovered she'd died. When it happens to me you can rest assure that I'll simply vanish and it'll be like I was never here save for a few megabytes of crap on various servers and a couple of ex-library westerns being sold off for 25p in musty old bookshops. I really ought to run up some reasonably large debts. That way at least someone will care when I go.

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1220 on: November 04, 2009, 05:11:35 PM »

Ah, Del, you mean much more than that to us.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1221 on: November 04, 2009, 06:29:03 PM »

Turns out the electricty board came just after I left site yesterday. They looked at the cable and asked what happened to the guy who drilled it - "bet he got blown half way across the road, didn't he?", they said. When the guys on site told them I'd walked away unscathed, they were incredulous. Said I must be the luckiest man alive. Scary shit.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #1222 on: November 04, 2009, 10:11:24 PM »

Pretty damn lucky I'd say. Glad to have you with us still, Ed.

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1223 on: November 05, 2009, 02:36:23 AM »

Thanks - yeah, I went and bought a lottery ticket last night on the suggestion of my workmates. Didn't get hit by a bus on the way there, but I'm still waiting for the Yin-Yang backlash, Final Destination style.

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1224 on: November 05, 2009, 02:10:27 PM »

Crikey Ed!  Being a holy sort, I can officially label you a Walking Miracle (tm).  If that was me, I'd probably lock myself away from all possible further harm.  Like the girl in Final Destination 2, in fact  Wink

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1225 on: November 09, 2009, 04:24:23 AM »

Got those Monday morning blues again. Not a bad case. I don't think there's a hellhound on my trail. But there's a relentlessness to work at the moment (and has been for some time) that feels like an increasing weight on my shoulders. Best as I can work out it's to do with being deep into the working life with an equivalent amount of time stretching ahead, and no prospect of doing anything different in the immediate future. It's like a long flight when the early hours are full of excitement about where you're going and what it's going to be like (and checking out the air hostess's legs), and the last few hours see a sense of the journey being done, survived, almost over, and the destination is upon one. But those middle hours are just dull and relentless and feel like they're going on forever and that the monotony will never end...

Or maybe it's just Monday.

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1226 on: November 09, 2009, 05:23:18 AM »

Trouble is - the final destination isn't a long and happy retirement, Del. This is it. I keep drumming it into my kids that the one thing they've got to do is work towards a career they enjoy doing, because they are going to spend a lot of time doing it. You very much are what you do in this life, I think.

Recent forced changes in my work situation have taught me some valuable lessons. I've spent a lot of years working for the same group of miserable bastards, and I now realised I've suffered under them when I could have been enjoying those years of work with companies who not only pay the same or more, but actually praise me for my work and openly value my contribution.

The funny part is I would have stayed where I was because I thought it was easier, safer, etc. It's only because my hand was forced that I've found a better slot for myself. A friend told me a long time ago that you've got to keep moving if you want decent pay and conditions, because the people who stay where they are out of fear or misplaced loyalty fall behind and get overlooked, maybe even mistreated by the bosses. I didn't really believe her at the time, but I think she was right.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1227 on: November 09, 2009, 06:27:52 AM »

Yeah... I know the journey is it. That life isn't about waiting for some point in the future when everything's sorted and one can finally start enjoying oneself. But it's still tough turning that knowledge into reality when it's Monday, and the difference between Saturday / Sunday and Monday is night and day.

Del

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1228 on: November 12, 2009, 04:26:12 PM »

I'm going to be a godparent! 

My best mate asked if I'd like to be the second godfather to his son, and of course I was delighted to accept  smiley the only trouble is, I can't find 'proof' I was Christened (in Australia) so I don't know how the church here would look upon that.  I'm going to keep searching my attic but otherwise I'll have to call my friend and give him the good/bad news, see if he'd like me to get re-Christened in this country (I'd be willing to) otherwise I'll understand if the hassle/delay causes him to withdraw his offer. 

I do think it's a bit daft that you need to prove a Christening, surely it wouldn't matter anyway because the point is you're promising to do right by the child in the eyes of God, and whatever your religious beliefs, that's something you'd take very seriously...?

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Rook
Critter

« Reply #1229 on: November 12, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »

Congratulations! smiley

I am constantly amazed at the injection of bureaucracy into everything. Apparently, no one trusts anyone. rolleyes

Good luck on your search!

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx