gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 02:16:18 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589584 times)
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #1275 on: November 30, 2009, 10:29:02 AM »

When I was little we went to department stores and I enjoyed going round Santa's grotto, but the man himself was so obviously just any old bloke in a costume...

We've got two malls in town (right next to eachother), and each has their own Santa. I've pointed out to my son that these are obviously not the real Santa - merely helpers. They're there helping him get his lists together and such. Seems to have worked for the time being.

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1276 on: November 30, 2009, 02:42:07 PM »

My eldest still believes in Santa, and he's twelve, FFS. I'm worried that he'll make a fool of himself at school because of something he might say in innocence. We did too good a job of keeping the secret, I think. Right from a young age my parents fucked it up for me. Even by the age of five I'd sussed them sneaking around in the night, so I don't remember a time when I believed in it all. I don't know which is worse. scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
PaulH
Mortician

« Reply #1277 on: December 01, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »

My eldest brother screwed it for me from as far back as I can remember. Maybe that's part of the reason I'm such a bah humbug type? That and working in retail for years on end... bloody Christmas shoppers!
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1278 on: December 09, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »

My eldest still believes in Santa, and he's twelve, FFS. I'm worried that he'll make a fool of himself at school because of something he might say in innocence. We did too good a job of keeping the secret, I think. Right from a young age my parents fucked it up for me. Even by the age of five I'd sussed them sneaking around in the night, so I don't remember a time when I believed in it all. I don't know which is worse. scratch

I can forsee a plot to relieve your son of his belief playing out like an episode of some terrible BBC sitcom haha twelve's a bit late, but I didn't stop playing with action figures until I was 13 so maybe it's not so bad  Wink although I have to ask - does he know the birds and bees aren't a literal way of making babies?  Wink  Cheesy

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1279 on: December 09, 2009, 02:06:07 PM »

I can forsee a plot to relieve your son of his belief playing out like an episode of some terrible BBC sitcom haha twelve's a bit late, but I didn't stop playing with action figures until I was 13 so maybe it's not so bad  Wink although I have to ask - does he know the birds and bees aren't a literal way of making babies?  Wink  Cheesy

Yeah, that's what makes sex education at junior school seem so completely off base to me. Do they really need to know the ins and outs when they're still so innocent in every other way? I don't think so undecided

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #1280 on: December 09, 2009, 05:23:27 PM »

I believe in Father Christmas. His name is Tony.

This morning, I got in my car, attempted to start it, got as far as a few slow turns of the engine until it gave up for good. I swore quietly for a few minutes, but clearly the battery was completely flat, beyond redemption (I've had it in the car for at least six years). I went indoors and phoned the local garage. Tony, who runs the garage, said the van was out at the moment but he'd send someone round when it came back. I expected a long wait. Actually it was only ten minutes. Couple of mechanics turned up, collected the car, took it away, came back fifteen minutes later having fitted a new battery. They said I could pop down the garage any time to pay -- no rush, just when I was passing.

As I say, I believe in Father Christmas, and his name is Tony.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1281 on: December 10, 2009, 05:19:39 PM »

I sincerely hope Tony is still in your good books when you get the bill, Delph. We once had a pet mechanic whose name was 'good old' Robin for a while. He eventually came to be nicknamed Robbin' Bastard, sadly.

It is nice when you find a good old fashioned garage, though. We've got one now that lends us a replacement car when we need one - no paperwork necessary, just take the keys and go. Don't even have to put petrol in it - take it empty and bring it back empty, though most people tend to leave a few quid's worth in it for the next person anyway. The last decent garage we used shut down, got knocked down, and is now the site of a dozen or so flats. They used to have a couple of really old petrol pumps outside, where all the old dears used to come to fill their cars because it was attended service.

delph_ambi
« Reply #1282 on: December 10, 2009, 05:58:07 PM »

Tony is still in my good books. Halfords would have charged £62.99 to supply an appropriate generic battery. Goodness only knows what a Suzuki dealer would have charged for a branded one. Tony's garage charged £63 to collect the car, fit the battery and return the car all within an hour of me first phoning them up. They also apologised for the high cost. Said it was because it's a bit of an unusual battery (it's a tiny car with an engine compartment the size of a small carrier bag).

The car's eleven years old. I want to try and keep it going another three years. The battery's got a two year guarantee. That means it'll probably just make it, I reckon.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1283 on: December 10, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »

That's very good service for the money, isn't it smiley

Talking of money, I had my accountant over tonight, with the books for the year. Turnover and profit was down by about 30% on the previous year (which was a phenomenally good year for me), but I still made a decent living, and the good news is I've paid too much tax on account, which means I've got a two and a half grand rebate coming. He said if he files the books tomorrow, online, I'll have the money in my bank within ten days dance
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 06:50:34 PM by Ed » Logged

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1284 on: December 10, 2009, 11:28:16 PM »

Talking of money, I had my accountant over tonight, with the books for the year. Turnover and profit was down by about 30% on the previous year (which was a phenomenally good year for me), but I still made a decent living ...

Back in the middle of June you were worried about a builder who was looking iffy, said he still owed you four grand... did that all get sorted? The speculation back then was whether the economy was turning around, at least as far as the building trade. How's it been going in your part of the world lately? Any fears of heading back into recession, or do you think it's clear sailing from here?
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1285 on: December 11, 2009, 03:08:33 AM »

Yes thanks, Pharosian - so far I've been lucky enough to claw-in all the money that was owed. Generally speaking, I'd say the building trade is still depressed, and those people who still have money to speculate by building new properties to sell when things pick up a bit have helped keep things going, but if those places don't sell within the next six months or so I think it might all grind to a halt again.

I don't currently have any work on the books for the first part of the new year, though I have a few jobs brewing for february, march, and that suits me fine. Clear sailing it isn't. Things are still very difficult and house prices are still too high to provoke a strong recovery. I think we will plod along for some years to come, and another boom is a long way off yet. I also think we're going to see fewer people aspiring to own their own house in the future, purely because they know they cannot afford to buy on an average salary.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1286 on: December 11, 2009, 03:54:47 AM »

Glad you are happy with the lower workload coming up, Ed. Better than you thought it might be when the recession kicked in.

Been hectic here. Mother-in-law has recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer. That's been cut out then a scan found lumps in her liver and now in her spine. The op scheduled to remove the liver lumps is cancelled cos of the spine 'hot spots'. She's 85 but sprightly. Doc said her age didn't come into the decision to not operate - to do major surgery on her liver would mean postponing rad / chemo on her spine. Such is life. So my geographical knowledge of several Merseyside hospitals has improved no end with all the chauffering I've been doing along with my wife. Sat Nav really useful though yesterday at University Hospital Aintree, the site is so big it covered three post codes. I dropped them (dad in law is also 85) off at the main entrance then off to find a parking spot in one of the 9 car parks. No problem - then a mile walk back to find them!

To top it wife and I thought it a spendid idea to combine a work visit of hers to Magna in Rotherham with me visiting old uni friends in Sheffield. While in Sheffield it's only a few miles down the M1 to Nottingham to visit son. I think we'll be asleep all next week to recover.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1287 on: December 12, 2009, 04:02:57 AM »

Figured I better finally start my Christmas shopping, so I'm off to town now on the bike with a small bag and a lack of ideas. Sigh. That could be epitaph: Here Lies Del, He Had A Small Bag And A Lack Of Ideas. And A Bike.

Apparantly it's the party season. I keep seeing articles and adverts all about "What to wear this party season" and "How to survive the party season" and "How to look your best this party season." Bah humbug. I have no parties to go to. I blame my small bag.

I remembered a great western horror story I wrote that would have been perfect for the competition mentioned elsehwere this week. Guaranteed winner, I reckon.  Wink Alas, I've gone through every file on my laptop and I can't find it anywhere. I have a horrible feeling it's a "disc story". I have a few of them. Alas I have no means of playing the old 3.5" discs anymore. On the bright side that's the first story I can recall wanting that I couldn't find. It could have been a lot worse. And the story probably was.

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1288 on: December 12, 2009, 07:49:48 AM »

I'm abandoning my western story for a current LOTLD antho to instead sub to that comp, as it really needs something more interesting than a 'zombies come back for revenge' plot...time to get pulpy!  grin

Back to Chrimbo - my mum, bless her, always wants to get me "nice clothes to wear" but I'm quite happy with what I've got.  This year, I actually found something online I liked, a golfing top, of all things, but it's £65 haha whoops oh well nice things cost more.  Maybe I'll just stick to asking for books  Wink

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1289 on: December 12, 2009, 08:50:35 AM »

All I'm looking forward to this Christmas is a nice long break, a few good blowouts and a few nights out away from the kids. Couldn't care less about the presents. Funny how things change, isn't it? When you're a kid, the presents are all you think about. As an adult you just worry about getting the right ones and the business of ploughing through crowds of irate shoppers to get them. It's a shame the Christmas spirit doesn't extend to the shopping part of the season. It could be very pleasant.

I spoke to somebody who went on an organised Christmas shopping trip to Greenland or somewhere, and they said the streets were covered in packed snow, with huge wrought iron baskets full of burning coal at intervals along the pavements for shoppers to warm themselves on. Sounded very atmospheric. smiley

BTW, Del - you could probably take that disk into somewhere like PC World to get the info off it. I've still got a comp with a floppy drive as a backup for my main one. If we lived a bit closer together I'd offer to do it for you.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 08:54:24 AM by Ed » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx