News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

The trouble is, Ed, I have about two dozen of those discs and I have no idea which one it's on... I have hard copies of most of the stories from those days, although not of the western one for some reason. No problem. It was probably awful.

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

I know what you mean. When I look back through my early stories I see so little in them worth saving that I might as well wipe the lot. Not much better with the recent ones, but I'll hopefully get the hang of it one day.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

Del, I was going to say you could post me those 3.5 inch floppies to me and I'd copy them onto a CD for you. However, probably cheaper for you to buy a USB linked floppy drive!

I have my first novel (unpublished) written in Wordwise plus on the BBC Master and saved on a 5.25 inch disc circa 1983. A few years ago I was about to transfer them to CD when I saved time by reading a few random pages. I need to start it from scratch!

Geoff

Ed

Forgot to say, earlier - anybody who's in Western Europe (may be the whole northern hemisphere for all I know) should look out for the geminids meteor showers tonight. Apparently at their best between 9:30 and midnight tonight. It's a clear night for a change, too :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

PaulH

Going to be a weird Christmas. The boys (6 & 7) are massively excited of course, so they'll be fun. For the rest of us though, it might be a bit subdued as Catherine's father passed away a few weeks ago. I had a very strange moment in Tesco this week, just saw a Toblerone and almost burst into tears because we nearly always used to get him one for Christmas.

Ed

Sorry to hear that, Paul. It's a shame there's no moratorium on bad things happening this close to Christmas.

delph_ambi

Know exactly what you mean, Paul. My Dad died earlier this year, so it's the first Christmas I haven't bought him a gift. I used to love buying presents for Dad -- usually stuff for the garden. None of my kids have gardens. I don't have a garden. My Mum doesn't like gardening. I have no-one to buy gardening stuff for any more. It hurts.

PaulH

I know how you feel Delph. I've been much closer to my father in law than my own dad for years and to have him gone so swiftly... it's a cliché, but there's a hole in our lives. It helps though, to know friends have been there and understand what it's like. Thanks guys.

Geoff_N

We have much in common. My dad passed away unexpectedly in June this year. I always bought him a box of Maltesers as an extra. Phoned him every sunday after my morning bike ride to update him on Nature observations and compared them to his. Nothing is the same.

Geoff

Ed

I get on better with my father-in-law than I do with my own dad, too, strangely enough. We used to do a lot of stuff father and son are supposed to do together, like fishing and DIY projects - things I've never done with my father. F-I-L's still alive, but completely changed from the guy he was before a car accident he had about ten years ago. He took a bad blow to the head during the accident, which I think changed his personality. He also mashed one of his legs during the accident, and the other was weakened by polio when he was a kid, so he finds it difficult to get around these days.

When my father dies, I get the impression the news is likely to be met with universal relief from everybody who ever knew him, sadly. So I suppose we should all be grateful for the enjoyable time we spent with the people we care about. I think the worst time in the grieving process is the first time you think to tell the person something, and you realise they're not there to tell any more.

PaulH

Isn't it strange how our life experiences touch on one anothers? James, my FIL, had a stroke about 10 years ago. He was still a lovely guy after it, but he became easily frustrated as he found it harder to access the encyclopedic knowledge locked in his mind and his handshake became bone crunching as he never regained full sensation in that hand.

My own father, like yours Ed, will probably not be much missed except by his drinking buddies. Talking to my mum today, I realised that I can't remember the last time I spoke to him. He always suggests we meet at the pub when I do speak to him, never seems to click that his habits are the reason I'm nigh on teetotal.

Thanks again for sharing with me Geoff, Delph and Del. I hope it's helped you as much as it's helping me.

Ed

I've got a ridiculous amount of work to do over the next few days. I just hope my friend doesn't let me down next week - he's promised me a day, but maybe two. One will get me out of the do-do. Two days would be a huge help, though. I might even get it all done in time if he gives me two days.

Haven't done any Christmas shopping yet, either. Working Saturday morning. The dreaded drinks party on Sunday, and back to work again Monday, for three frantic days. Argh...

To cap it all, somebody offered me a toffee this morning, which was rock solid because it was so cold. I chewed once, twice, then felt a crunch in it and realised immediately what had happened - a gold inlay had come adrift. So I've got an emergency appointment with my dentist at 4:45 tomorrow, when what I really need to be doing is working.

delboy

Good luck, Ed. I hope you manage to fit everything in. I'm almost the opposite. Got an online event that I've been organising to get through this morning. It's been stressing me out big time for a week and I was working until 10:00 last night on the last minute changes that the-powers-that-be want. Still hadn't received all the data I needed by 10:15 so I went to bed. Haven't logged in yet to see if it's arrived this morning... But once I get to lunchtime I'm hoping I can start to relax and enjoy the festive season. Fingers crossed!

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Thanks, Del - good luck with your event, too. The most frustrating point about my workload is that all the jobs are so far apart, and there are fixed appointments that stop me getting to places earlier and leaving later. Like this morning, I have an appointment at ten that's about an hour's drive from the main job, so there's no point in going to the main job first, and at the end of the day I've got the dental appointment, which I'll be away from after five, so there's no point in driving anywhere but home afterward.

Geoff_N

Spent today babysitting our grandson, Oliver in Manchester. Not sure who tires out who since we took him to RhymeTime in the morning (Library singing and pulling Santa's beard fun - he had a pressie, a pop-up book). Afternoon at Trafford Centre play centre where he took me up padded-cell-like tunnels, bumps and slides. But the best thing he enjoyed is in the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lk-4GhZIaw

Geoff