News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Sorry that I'm a bit late with the decorations this year - forgot all about it until just now. Merry Christmas, everybody. I hope you all have a good one :ssmiley
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Just been flicking through a few old notebooks (well, thick narrow lined A4 pads, yellow legal pads, and hundreds of loose pages) and it's been both interesting and disheartening to see what's in there.

Interesting, because there are some handwritten first drafts of stories featuring  masses of crossings-out and corrections, usually followed a few pages later by a list of bullet points of things to change that have been ticked off. Several of these stories have been subsequently rewritten, typed up, and a few have even been published. So it's nice to see the entire process in action, and know that those original scribblings would eventually find a home.

Disheartening, because the majority of the work - I'd say 90% - remains unfinished, or unrewritten/revised. There are pages and pages of notes and ideas, first chapters and initial sections, practice pieces, paragraphs "in the style of", newspaper cuttings that sparked my interest, and most disheartening of all there are five - five(*)! - novels that run to tens of thousands of words each, and were each something I firmly believed in at the time. Looking back at them now, I think they all remain great ideas, but what it shows seems to be a lack of persistence and dedication on my part. I will try and put this right from this day forward. At least I'm not short of material.

Anyway, back to work. It's my last day and I have plenty to do. No slacking, boy. Get on!

Merry Christmas!  :santa_azn:

Del

(*) I foolishly opened another drawer and found three more! A couple of half-written westerns, and a children's fantasy novel. I also know there's a cabinet in the garage full fo similar stuff. I think my sig' says it all, don;t you?
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Caz

Enough of the pack ice had shifted by this morning so that I could get out on the bike for the first time in a week. Blasted along the sea front through bright sunshine and freezing air and it felt great. Then I rode up one of the big hills that lead up to the town and realised how quickly the old body gets out of shape. Still it was nice to be pulling in big lungfuls of cold air again. :sthumb:
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Rev. Austin

Merry Christmas and associated holiday greetings! 

The crap weather brings with it hordes of awkward teenagers looking to hole-up in the gallery where I work, and I have to keep asking them to leave because they lie down on the stone floor (underfloor heating!) and cause a right nuisance  ::)

Bloody kids!  ;)
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Ed

I'm making tomorrow my last day. I've got so many places to go that I'm having trouble remembering them all, though. I'm going to deal with them in order of need, and those who don't really need probably won't get a visit. I've had enough.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

Caz, sounds great. I'm inspired to de-ice my bike tomorrow and give it an airing.

Bec

Happy Christmas/Happy Holidays to all of you!  :smiley:

Caz

Quote from: Geoff_N on December 22, 2009, 05:28:00 PM
Caz, sounds great. I'm inspired to de-ice my bike tomorrow and give it an airing.

Watch out for the black ice, Geoff. I hit a patch this morning on the seafront run, it was a real heart stopper.

Ed

Well, that's me done. I'm hanging up my spurs for a couple of weeks now. I didn't make it to all my appointments, but I did all the important ones. The rest are just the finishing off of bits and pieces that'll free up money for other people, and they can afford to wait, so....

:ssmiley

Crazy weather conditions this morning, though. I pulled up at a merchant's and went inside, then it rained for a few minutes, which made me think 'good - that'll thaw some of that ice out there'. Wrong. It froze, and turned the whole world into an ice rink. I went out to the van for something and very nearly went on my arse. It was the most slippery ice I've ever known. I had to go to another merchant after that, but when I finally got there (a few hundred yards in five minutes) somebody waved me off, saying if I went down there I wouldn't get back out. This guy had come out to get in his van - sat in, slammed the door shut and with that the whole van began to slide sideways across the road. I decided to walk the rest of the way, but could only make way by dragging myself along from bollard to bollard, car to wheely bin, etc. Crazy. Never experienced anything like it.

NoxInflux

Got up, started working on the PC. Rained all day. And ending the day back on the PC .. compiling works for a potential book and some magazine submissions.
And I still am short just a couple gifts. I'm not the biggest Christmas fan, but happy holidays anyway!
:cheesy:

PaulH

Hope you all have a great Christmas!

Mind out for something claiming to be an antivirus package downloading itself to your PC - got it on mine yesterday, it's been to the engineer and I now have a completely virgin PC as he had to scrub the whole thing. Just hoping to God I've saved all my stuff on a pen drive or something somewhere.  :'(

Grillmeat

Hope everyone finds a little something they want under the tree and gets to spend the day with friends and family!!
Merry Christmas everyone!  :sthumb:
OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!

Woody

mustn't have my stuff here, ed keeps it.

Ed

This has been the first Christmas Day I can remember not being woken at the very crack of dawn by the kids. Usually it's a 5AM start, but today they let us sleep in until 7AM :dance: As a result, I'm in a much better frame of mind than usual. Normally I'd be groggy and feeling quite splenetic by around this time.  :ssmiley

I got a pasta making machine, a pair of oversized underpants, a Toblerone and a bottle of red wine. I bought my wife a gold necklace adorned with Peridot, Tourmaline and Amethyst. We had agreed not to spend very much on each other, but what the hell - you can't take it with you, eh?

Merry Christmas  :ssmiley

Caz

I had to work for my dinner today, cutting up spuds and pouring gravy down at the local church :santa_cool: Merry Christmas all.