gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 15, 2017, 05:21:16 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589311 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1335 on: December 26, 2009, 07:58:11 AM »

I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but I upgraded the forum this morning, to the latest version of the software, and for the first time ever I was able to use the package manager - two or three clicks and it was done without a hitch. Normally, the package manager stalls half way through installation and I'm left having to manually edit templates, which is a real chore. Not this time. I wonder if it has anything to do with us changing internet hosts. I bet it does. Asmallorange seem to configure their servers in very strange ways that really don't agree with SMF forum software.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #1336 on: December 26, 2009, 08:29:21 AM »

On a stroll yesterday morning, we came across a real life Christmas card who stayed still just long enough for me to snap his photo.

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1337 on: December 26, 2009, 10:10:48 AM »

Wow... that really *does* look like a Christmas card. I had to look hard to see the snow -- it looked like that airbrushing effect.
Grillmeat
Critter

« Reply #1338 on: December 26, 2009, 02:23:22 PM »

That's very cool!
It does look like a Christmas card.

OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!
Caz
Critter

« Reply #1339 on: December 27, 2009, 01:06:13 PM »

"That said, only do this in the editing phase, otherwise you'll sit and pain over every sentence as you write, and you'll get nowhere. Better to get the words down and the story forward before fine tuning."

Hope you don't mind, Ed, but I got the above line from the comments you made about Woody's 'East Scythe' story. I've heard similar comments before but it was the bit where you said, "pain over every sentence" that hit home. It something I've always done and I guess is why I write so slowly. Anyways, I took the advice and a couple of house later had added over a thousand words to my latest story. Which is way more than I would normal do.

Great advice, cheers.     

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1340 on: December 27, 2009, 04:30:02 PM »

Glad you found it useful, Caz. It's one of the things I have to constantly keep in mind, otherwise I fall back into bad habits and end up writing next to nothing.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1341 on: December 27, 2009, 05:58:13 PM »

Top piece of advice!  afro

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #1342 on: December 28, 2009, 03:15:21 AM »

So, daughter was all set to get the six am bus this morning to get her to the station on the first leg of her trip down into France, did a last minute check on t'internet, discovered that the buses were running a Sunday service today (why? it's monday. it's not a bank holiday) and looked sheepish, as the first bus would've been too late to get her to the station, so muggins here, thankful to have a new battery in the car, scraped ice off said vehicle inside and out, slithered gingerly down the bank, and managed to get her to the station in time. Got back home to find email from her, written on the train. Saying she was on the train.  rolleyes
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1343 on: December 28, 2009, 03:21:12 AM »

Mine are usually gushy with thanks like that, too afro

I'm off out in a minute for a wander around farmland while taking potshots at God's furry and feathered creatures. Hoping to bag a duck or two, but I'll be happy enough with a pheasant or some rabbit. Could be interesting, though. I hear there's going to be about thirty other shooters there, so I may well be bagging some long pig by accident huh
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 03:26:06 AM by Ed » Logged

delph_ambi
« Reply #1344 on: December 28, 2009, 04:22:52 AM »

eeek! Be careful.

Hubby made the dire admission the other day that he once shot a robin. Was taking potshots at starlings out of his bedroom window (he hates starlings) and the poor robin got in the way. This was a LONG time ago, and goes some way to explaining why he's a little wary of birds. Probably expects them to take their revenge one of these days.
Caz
Critter

« Reply #1345 on: December 28, 2009, 05:20:46 AM »

(why? it's monday. it's not a bank holiday)

I think today is classed as a bank holiday as boxing day was on a Saturday. Public holidays can't be held on weekend days so the day off part of it is moved to the Monday. Then again I could be completely wrong.  scratch 

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
delph_ambi
« Reply #1346 on: December 28, 2009, 06:03:04 AM »

You know, I reckon you're right. Should've thought of that...
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1347 on: December 28, 2009, 06:38:00 AM »

This has been my first Christmas in ages spent entirely with my family and main group of friends (previous years I've lived elsewhere) and it's been really cool.  Got some presents I didn't expect, got other people presents they didn't expect  Wink and it's all been rather nice.  Now, I just need to try and crack on with some stories I plan to sub before the end of next month... Cheesy

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1348 on: December 28, 2009, 09:20:34 AM »

I've discovered a painful truth - whenever I have time off work I can write loads and loads. Spent most of yesterday writing, a good portion of this morning, too. Christmas eve I put in several hours. This happened when I had a week off at half term and some time in the summer. It's wonderful, I love it. The painful bit, is that I know as soon as work rolls round again it all stops.

That said, I'm thoroughly enjoying the break so far. Tied all the fishing gear to the rod late this morning, cycled down to the canal to discover it was frozen solid. Decided to cycle along the tow-path seeking out some cool places for when the thaw arrives. Found a whole bunch of great places, and though the path was either slick with mud or ice (or both) I cycled for an hour and eventually found an area that had thawed because some boats had broken the ice. Had an hour's fruitless fishing, but it was still fun watching the ducks slipping and a sliding and seeing a sparrowhawk fight off a dozen seagulls. Cycled back aliong the roads and boy it was hard work. Really notice the lack of miles in my legs over the last month.

Looks like I'm off to B&Q now ready for a day's DIY tomorrow...

Ah well.

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1349 on: December 28, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »

Back home again now. God's furry and feathered creatures were pretty safe. I took about three shots at various things. Two were in woodland at a pheasant flying directly away from me about three feet off the ground, and one was also in woodland at a woodcock that flew overhead. Nothing in the clear. I don't mind, though. It was a lovely day - clear blue sky, sunny and crisp. Nice walk around, good company.  smiley

What's on the DIY agenda tomorrow, Del?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:16:09 AM by Ed » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx