gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 18, 2017, 01:16:40 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 590232 times)
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1350 on: December 28, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »

The plan was to wall mount a TV that Karen's daughter had for Christmas. But it's looking like it might be a bit more complicated than initially planned. Karen doesn't want any wires visible so it's going to mean figuring out how to get the aerial cable down from the loft and out through the wall at just the right position, and the same with a new power socket.

My original plan was to put a matching stainless aerial socket adjacent to one that was already high on that wall (an on-off switch for an extractor fan), which would have made that task relative straightforward, but then there would have been a few inches of cable visible from the rear of the TV to that socket... so it's a no-no.

Had a look in the loft and it's easy enough to find where the existing cables come up into the loft but it may be tricky to feed a cable down there and then out through the wall at just the right point. I daresay there's tools and techniques for doing just that. I feel a web search coming on.

The interior wall isn't brick either, which makes me uneasy about mounting the TV on it, but with a prayer and a bit of luck I reckon it should hold.

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1351 on: December 28, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »

If you're mounting it on a stud wall then it's relatively easy, Del. You shouldn't use the fan power supply to run the tv, though - it's probably on a lighting circuit, which is only 5 amps, and not a ring main. Better to extend a 13 amp supply from an existing socket into the roof space and then fish it down to where you want it, or fish one up the wall from below. Trouble is, there's usually a noggin at about 1200mm off the floor running horizontally across the wall, which stops you fishing any wires directly up inside the void. The only way to do it inconspicuously is to make a small notch in the plasterboard that spans the noggin, fish the cable out of the wall, across the slot you've made and then up inside the top part of the wall. Just fill in the hole you make with expanding foam, or some other kind of filler, then patch the paintwork.

Make sure you catch one side of the mounting plate for the tv on solid wood, them you can make do with plasterboard fixings on the other side, because it won't go far once you've got one good fixing.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1352 on: December 28, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »

Well, here I am again - comfortably numb. I seem to be drinking a lot more lately. I don't think a day has gone by in the last four when I haven't had an alcoholic drink of some sort. Went to a friend's for dinner yesterday and had a few. Today we had friends over for dinner and had a few more - wine, lager and port. It leaves me with a feeling of happiness and wellbeing I don't usually have when I'm sober. Perhaps this is what people get addicted to with alcohol? Going to have to keep an eye on that - can't have me feeling happy and well all the time. What would the neighbours say? huh

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1353 on: December 29, 2009, 04:37:34 AM »

If you're mounting it on a stud wall then it's relatively easy, Del. You shouldn't use the fan power supply to run the tv, though - it's probably on a lighting circuit, which is only 5 amps, and not a ring main. Better to extend a 13 amp supply from an existing socket into the roof space and then fish it down to where you want it, or fish one up the wall from below. Trouble is, there's usually a noggin at about 1200mm off the floor running horizontally across the wall, which stops you fishing any wires directly up inside the void. The only way to do it inconspicuously is to make a small notch in the plasterboard that spans the noggin, fish the cable out of the wall, across the slot you've made and then up inside the top part of the wall. Just fill in the hole you make with expanding foam, or some other kind of filler, then patch the paintwork.

Cheers, Ed. Some good advice there. Wasn't going to run the power off the fan circuit - just use the existing wires and their associated holes and conduit to help me thread my aerial wire into the required vicinity. But that plan's now been dismissed as putting an aerial socket adjacent to the fan power one won't look neat enough. The aerial socket needs to be hidden behind the TV.  These aesthetic demands also meanstoday I shall be off to Screwfix to get a studfinder. Fingers crossed the wood behind the walls is in places that allows the TV mount to be central on the wall... otherwise there will be a battle between a good fixing and a geometrical pleasing to the eye positioning...

Yeah, I've had a few drinks over the last couple of days. Not near enough to be drunk, but enough to get that relaxed warm feeling. I guess that's what Christmas is all about. I know what you mean about having to watch it, though. A few times recently when I've had particularly stressful days I've had a glass of wine or two and have thought "Hmmm, this seems to work..." Generally I don't drink at all, so I guess just a litrtle makes a big difference

Shocked

Thanks,
Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #1354 on: December 29, 2009, 05:56:27 AM »

I drink every day. Always have a small glass of red wine while I cook the dinner. It's 'medicinal'...  bleh
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1355 on: December 29, 2009, 06:11:18 AM »

The French seem to drink wine every day with one meal or another, so if they can do it and get away with it, I don't see why we should be any different afro

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1356 on: December 29, 2009, 06:24:42 AM »

Every now and then I think of my liver and give alcohol a miss for a few days.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1357 on: December 29, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »

Just got back from watching Avatar - wow Shocked what a film. The world they create is absolutely gorgeous. The format adheres strictly to the hero's journey, but even when you realise that, it's still compelling. Wasn't expecting to enjoy it very much, but was pleasantly surprised. Not a single person moved for the duration of the film - nobody left to go to the toilet, or get a coffee. Nobody made a sound. Very unusual for a film to command that much attention, especially when it's about two and a half hours long. Best film I've seen in a very long time.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1358 on: January 01, 2010, 06:30:07 AM »

Happy New Year, everybody afro

We went to a friend's house last night. Everybody brought along something they'd cooked, to share. I made a chicken curry and egg fried rice, my wife made a pavlova. There was a beef casserole with new potatoes, a lasagne (which looked a bit iffy), what we think must have been a bolognese (didn't look like something I'd want in my mouth), and a beef chilli with boiled rice. Must admit to liking my own food too much at these things, so I had a plateful of mine before trying anything else. It was ok, but not as nice as usual - I'd made double the amount I usually make and it didn't scale very well. It didn't have the bright notes in the curry that it usually has, and it didn't smell as aromatic, so I added some ground fennel seeds, which brought it up a bit. It tasted nice enough, but as I say, not as nice as usual. Anyway, then I tried a spoonful of beef casserole, and a spoonful of the chilli (Jeysus that was hot). For pud, somebody had made a raspberry cheesecake - that was lovely. Would have liked another slice of that.

Sat around talking. Didn't get too hammered. Had a few lagers and a glass of champagne, but felt pretty sober by the time we'd walked home. Had a good sleep, woke up without a hangover, so that was nice. All in all a good night. Not the kind of thing that was going to set the world on fire, but just what I needed at the end of a hectic year smiley

Woody
AnnoyEd

« Reply #1359 on: January 01, 2010, 07:03:29 AM »

mustn't have my stuff here, ed keeps it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:05:34 PM by Woody » Logged

Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1360 on: January 01, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »

Went to see Avatar yesterday. Wow! What a great movie! Not only were the effects great, but there were some creative elements in the world and its ecosystem. I'd go see it again -- but I admit to being stunned at having to pay $35 for two adult tickets, one large popcorn and a "medium" (32oz) drink. And that was a matinee! Geez, things have become expensive. And they wonder why people don't go out to the movies as often.
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1361 on: January 01, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »

Looks like Cameron's planning to make an Avatar trilogy:

http://sffmedia.com/films/science-fiction-films/449-cameron-planning-avatar-trilogy.html
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1362 on: January 01, 2010, 03:45:46 PM »

Yeah, must admit the cost of going to see the film surprised me, too. We went on 'cheap as chips Tuesday', but it still set me back £35 ($56) for two adults and two kids, but that did include popcorn scratch

Woody - what did you think of it?

Woody
AnnoyEd

« Reply #1363 on: January 01, 2010, 03:50:01 PM »

mustn't have my stuff here, ed keeps it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:05:02 PM by Woody » Logged

Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1364 on: January 01, 2010, 08:04:04 PM »

Thanks for the link Pharosian, two more films in that world. Wow!

However, I can't believe John Howell wrote in the article;

"When all is said and done though, the story and characters were lame and forgettable."

He must have been listening to his iPod or something during the film. I thought Jake Sully and Neytiri were extremely powerful characters, not to mention the rest of the main cast.

The story conveys two very powerful main themes; the plundering of resources by one nation from another for nothing more than financial gain and living in harmony with your environment, but it doesn't stop there.

There is no doubt in my mind that John Howell's politics are well entrenched in the republican ethos.

For those that have thought about seeing Avatar and have not yet done so, you can safely disregard Mr. Howell's comments on the story and characters, IMO his comments do not stand up.

When I posted the link about the plans for a trilogy, I hesitated to put it here in this thread. I was wondering if we might need to start a separate Avatar thread... but I guess a few posts on this topic won't matter.

As usual, I'll take the contrary view, and say that I don't believe Mr. Howell's comments had anything to do with his politics. He wrote a full review available here:
http://sffmedia.com/films/science-fiction-films/443-avatar-could-have-been-so-much-more.html in which he backed up his reasoning quite well. And I have to admit, I predicted a fair bit of the plot once it got going (though not all). I won't say anything more specific here so as to avoid spoilers for those that haven't seen it yet.

But like Ed said, even though he was aware of the "hero's journey" plot structure, it didn't detract from his enjoyment. And even though I was able to predict several plot turns, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the movie, and I'd gladly see it again. The characters and dialogue may not be the most nuanced in the world, but there was still terrific internal and external conflict for the main character.

It just makes one wonder what it would have been like with the gee whiz graphics AND a plot that kept you guessing from start to finish AND a cast of characters (besides Jake) that didn't have such simple agendas.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx