gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 06:21:00 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 590036 times)
delph_ambi
« Reply #1380 on: January 04, 2010, 05:07:01 AM »

Knock on the door a around lunchtime yesterday. Driver of Sainsbury's van had foolishly tried to get up our street. Van had other ideas, and had slid down to within a few inches of my car. Driver wondered if I'd mind attempting to move my car before it was crushed. I agreed that this was a good idea. Half the street turned out with shovels and brooms and turned my mushroom white blob back into a car. I managed to drive it through the snow drift down the street, and hurrah! Sainsbury's driver managed to slither in a zig-zag after me and avoided crushing anyone or anything. Road still looks impassible and impossible today. That means no pupils turning up. That means no income. Grrr...
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1381 on: January 04, 2010, 05:45:51 AM »

I'm back in the office, scrolling through emails, trying to decide what to do first, and working out where's there's a gap in the diary into which I can slot some leave  afro

Del

Funny you should say that - I was just thinking I might try to get something booked up for around May. I've been told I'm going to be very busy during the summer, so if I take an early holiday I'll hopefully miss the high summer heat and maybe even have a chance to take a late break in October, too afro

I'm annoyed with myself for not having done anything with this holiday or the last. I spent both just lounging around doing nothing, on the excuse that I need to recharge my batteries. The thing is, after each occasion, I've not felt much better for the break afterwards, in addition to feeling regret for not having done more with it. Dunno what I should do about it scratch

Delph - sounds like fun, apart from the loss of earnings aspect of it, but then if you've had it for a few days then it stops being fun. The weathermen say it's going to stay cold for at least the next ten days.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1382 on: January 04, 2010, 06:01:36 AM »

I didn't do much with this one. A fair bit of dog walking. A few cycle rides - nothing too long as the ice was pretty scary - and a bit of fishing. A bit of family stuff, of course, and I managed to watched several episodes of Carl Sagan's Cosmos, which was brilliant. Read a couple of books, too, including one on astronomy and them promptly when out and found Jupiter, Mars, the Pleaides, and the Orion Nebula through my binoculars. Writing wise it was a good break though. Finsihed, revised, and submitted my western short story and finally blocked out the outline of a novel the basic idea of which I've been tinkering with on and off for years. Did a few character interviews and then - in danger of getting bored with it - I just dived in and started writing. A couple of mornings I thought "I'm not in the mood..." but I started anyway, reread the previous day's work, and carried on. Up to about 5k in 5 days. The big test comes now, though, when it has to be fitted in around all else.

I reckon even if you don't think you're recharging your batteries, you are. A bit like sleepless nights. They're never truly sleepless and there's always a bit of rest happening.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #1383 on: January 04, 2010, 06:16:59 AM »

Just noticed your signature Del. Love it!
digitaldeath
Coffin Maker

wired to alien life

« Reply #1384 on: January 04, 2010, 01:27:22 PM »

Never too many people called Derek !
Caz
Critter

« Reply #1385 on: January 04, 2010, 01:42:20 PM »

Heating boiler packed up last night, right in the middle of a cold snap, what joy. Got the heating going again but not the hot water supply. Thought I'd found the problem, a micro hot water switch, changed it and still no hot water, damn! The thing is I've already paid out seventy quid to guys who don't know what's wrong but charge me anyway Oh well, back to the manual.

I had a  look at the new crit template. It's good. The question seem much better than before, more thoughtful I guess. Or more to the point they will make me think more about the comments I make. afro  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:53:29 PM by Caz » Logged

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1386 on: January 04, 2010, 05:58:45 PM »

What make of boiler is it, Caz? From what you've said it might be the diaphragm is buggered in the diverter valve, if it's a combi boiler. If so, they're generally less than a tenner to buy and take about twenty minutes to change. I don't know how people have the bare faced cheek to charge for looking at a boiler if they don't know how to fix it - I think I'd probably have told them to fuck off. scratch

Glad you like the alterations to the crit template. It's not much different, but like you say, hopefully a bit more thought provoking.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #1387 on: January 05, 2010, 03:31:18 AM »

My brother's (new) boiler broke down over Christmas. They had SIX visits from various engineers before it was fixed. Guy who fixed it in the end sounds more like a computer technician (he replaced some faulty software). Software? On a boiler? Blimey. I had no idea.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1388 on: January 05, 2010, 04:41:28 AM »

My brother's (new) boiler broke down over Christmas. They had SIX visits from various engineers before it was fixed. Guy who fixed it in the end sounds more like a computer technician (he replaced some faulty software). Software? On a boiler? Blimey. I had no idea.

Doesn't sound right. All modern boilers have a PCB these days, and they'd usually have a small microprocessor on board, but I've never heard of anybody reprogramming one - they're not complicated enough in their operation to require programming on any meaningful scale. Usually you'd just swap the whole board for a new one. I guess if that's right then it must have been a manufacturer's engineer. Nobody else would have the kit to do the job.

Enjoying these last few days of holiday, though the phone rang red hot yesterday morning, I've put everything off until Thursday, so I've got a couple of days to sort myself out before returning to work. Both kids are now back at school. One yesterday and the other today. Blessed peace. Could be a different story by the end of tomorrow, though. We're forecast to have six inches of snow tonight, and if so the whole place is likely to grind to a halt. I don't mind, though. Gives me a good excuse not to go back to work for a few more days - might actually make a dent in the 'to do' list afro

Caz
Critter

« Reply #1389 on: January 05, 2010, 05:39:26 AM »

What make of boiler is it, Caz? From what you've said it might be the diaphragm is buggered in the diverter valve, if it's a combi boiler. If so, they're generally less than a tenner to buy and take about twenty minutes to change. I don't know how people have the bare faced cheek to charge for looking at a boiler if they don't know how to fix it - I think I'd probably have told them to fuck off. scratch

Glad you like the alterations to the crit template. It's not much different, but like you say, hopefully a bit more thought provoking.

The boiler’s a combi Glowworm Compact 80E. It started messing about a month ago, the hot water alternating between scalding hot and stone cold then after using the shower the other night the heating stopped. The hot water demand light stayed on even though there were no taps open so I pulled the plug on the hot water micro switch and the heating came back on. Thought I struck on the problem and bought a new  micro switch all to no avail. Funny thing is the first switch I got, it was listed in the spare parts of the manual, had the wrong plug on it and couldn’t be fitted. It was a two pin plug the one I needed was a three pin. Went back to the shop and found out that the three pin was listed as the pressure differential switch. I thought that the parts might be listed wrong so I did a swap for the three pin, it’s identical in every way, including the hieroglyphics on the casing. No joy again.

It’s frustrating as I know it’s probably no more than a faulty part that I can change and don’t want to pay out good money to people who are doing no more than me and guessing as to what is wrong. 

Cheers for the interest, Ed. 

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1390 on: January 05, 2010, 09:06:41 AM »

Sounds like whatever senses demand from you opening a hot tap is stuck open. Take a look at this pdf - http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/pdf/discontinued/boilers/Compact80E_UIS.pdf - scroll down to page 36, diagram 14.17 - that's the thing that makes contact with the microswitch when you turn the tap on - take the microswitch off and you'll see underneath there's a pin that comes out and touches the switch. It can be the pin has a ring of scale around it that stops it retracting back into the gland. Just take the pin out, scrape off the scale (very gently) with a knife, grease up the pin with something like vaseline or a silicone based grease and put it back in. Only do this if the pin is still poking the switch when there's no hot water taps open. Get somebody to open and close a hot tap - the pin should move in and out. If it doesn't, or it's jerky, that's the cause of the problem. If it's not scale then it's the diaphragm the pin passes through that's perished, but they usually fail the other way, so that you don't get hot water, but you do get heating. BTW, when you undo those four stardrive screws, be aware that the cover has a spring behind it and it will fly apart if you don't keep some pressure on it as you ease it off.

If it's not any of the above, work your way through the fault finding flowchart in the pdf on pages 30 and 31. Let me know how you get on afro
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 09:09:48 AM by Ed » Logged

Caz
Critter

« Reply #1391 on: January 05, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »

The pin behind the micro switch looks to be all the way out, there's about 10 to 15mm showing so I assume that's why the hot water demand light is always on unless I unplug the micro switch. Will the pin pull out under finger pressure or do I have to undo the stardrive screws on the casing to free it?

Thanks for the PDF link. Useful stuff. afro   

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1392 on: January 05, 2010, 01:40:52 PM »

You have to undo the four stardrive screws, but like I say - keep some finger pressure on the front plate when you undo the screws. Don't forget to turn off the water valves under the boiler before you do it, too. Don't let anybody turn on a hot tap while you're doing it, either, otherwise all the water in the pipework will drain down to where you are.

Caz
Critter

« Reply #1393 on: January 05, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »

Cheers for the info, Ed. I'll have a look at it in the morning and let you know how things go. afro

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1394 on: January 05, 2010, 01:46:55 PM »

No problem - good luck with it afro

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx