gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 05:43:41 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589725 times)
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1395 on: January 05, 2010, 02:36:59 PM »

I'm working in the cafĂ© section of the art gallery this week - and got sent home early today because we were DEAD  Cheesy both the colleges in town closed early because of the snow and so did half the schools.  Shame about losing business but it was nice travelling on the bus and seeing kids playing on sleds, having a jolly old time.

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1396 on: January 05, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »

We still haven't had a dump of snow yet. The forecasters tell us we are going to get 6" overnight, but I can't see it happening. While everybody else was getting snowed on today, we got drizzle. I think we've got a bit of a microclimate here. Snow would be nice, though. Six foot of it and high winds would be nice. Shut the whole country down for a week or two. I'd like that. afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1397 on: January 05, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »

Plenty of snow here. Took the dog out for a very pleasant walk, earlier. He'd never seen a snowman with a carrot for a nose before. Barked at it for a while, circled it several times, and then ran towards it, decided to stop and almost skidded right into it.

One of the 'advantages' of being able to work from home is that when the rest of the country closes down I'm still able to work...

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1398 on: January 05, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »

Yeah, that sounds great, Del - being able to carry on working when you know the rest of the country's having a day off afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1399 on: January 05, 2010, 06:00:20 PM »

we stayed in Manchester last night (Monday) so as to be in place to babysit our baby grandson today (Tuesday). The snow fell so much we couldn't push the pushchair and the ice under the snow made carrying Oliver too risky so the poor little 'un had to stay indoors. When daughter and her hubby came home early we had to decide whether to risk the falling snow and ungritted roads to return to Chester. We opted for a longer motorway journey - M60, M62, M6, M56, M53. Sounds a lot but only 40 miles in total. On the M62 and M6 there were compulsory 30mph signs cos of the dodgy road and heavy snow falling. It was impossible to go that slow cos of the other traffic going much faster. I've driven enough to value my life and my wife and so treat a journey as a hazard rather than just a thing between A and B to be gotten over as fast as poss. Behind us heavy lorries would flash us to go faster especially in places where there was only one lane clear enough to drive in. It was a nightmare journey. A convoy of Eddie Stobart wagons bombed past me at over 60mph sending up spray my wipers couldn't clear fast enough.

I'll be glad when the weather lets me ride my bike again!

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1400 on: January 06, 2010, 02:36:50 AM »

Sounds like a nightmare journey. I bet you were relieved to get home in one piece.

As predicted, we didn't get our 6" of snow, but we got a little smattering - just enough to be a nuisance and not enough to go sledding. C'est la vie rolleyes

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1401 on: January 06, 2010, 04:33:32 AM »

Snowing again afro

Caz - how's it going? Water three feet high and rising or steaming hot and coming out where you want it? huh

Bec
« Reply #1402 on: January 06, 2010, 12:17:51 PM »

We've had about 3" snow here on the south coast, with more forecast. My boys have been off school. They're hoping to have tomorrow off, too.
Caz
Critter

« Reply #1403 on: January 06, 2010, 01:29:36 PM »

Hot water, I never knew how much I would miss it. And now I've got it gushing out of the taps dance dance You were right, Ed. The pin behind the micro switch was stuck. I cleaned it up, put a little smear of Vaseline on it and the pesky little thing seems to be working okay now.
Thanks for the advice, you saved me a fair few quid there. afro

More snow here on the south east coast. Oh well, bike's laid up again.

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1404 on: January 06, 2010, 02:31:36 PM »

We've had about 3" snow here on the south coast, with more forecast. My boys have been off school. They're hoping to have tomorrow off, too.

All the schools were closed around here on the strength of the weather forecast. We had about 2" of snow, but then after my post above it began snowing heavily and dumped another inch or two on us, so I took the boys sledding. Made a sled out of some 2" plastic pipe and scrap bits of ply and batten - it went like greased lightning. Great fun.

My kids are also hoping for a day off tomorrow, but I don't think they're going to get it. All the snow has already melted on the roads, and although it's supposed to dip to -8C tonight, I reckon the gritters will keep all the main roads open, so the schools will run as usual.

Hot water, I never knew how much I would miss it. And now I've got it gushing out of the taps dance dance You were right, Ed. The pin behind the micro switch was stuck. I cleaned it up, put a little smear of Vaseline on it and the pesky little thing seems to be working okay now.
Thanks for the advice, you saved me a fair few quid there. afro

Cool - happy to help. Comes to something when I can diagnose it from here, only going by what you told me, yet the guys who charged you seventy quid couldn't suss it even when they had their hands on it, doesn't it? They must have been a right couple of shysters rolleyes

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1405 on: January 07, 2010, 04:42:09 AM »

Chaos this morning. Icy roads, but no more snow, and it doesn't sound like we're going to get any more. One son's school (within walking distance) declared itself shut, but the other (which is seven miles away) decided they would open with limited everything because of staff shortages, but may be forced to close sometime during the day. But of course with all the bus companies not running, you'd have to make your own way there, while the met office are telling everybody not to travel unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm not sending him. It just seems pointlessly dangerous to me

I'm planning to get on with some writing today - see if I can't write a new short story with a western theme afro

Caz
Critter

« Reply #1406 on: January 07, 2010, 05:07:31 AM »

Cool - happy to help. Comes to something when I can diagnose it from here, only going by what you told me, yet the guys who charged you seventy quid couldn't suss it even when they had their hands on it, doesn't it? They must have been a right couple of shysters rolleyes

Maybe you should start up an on-line advisory service. I reckon you'd get a lot of work.

When I get asked to do work I always tell people straight off if I can do it or not. I think it to be wrong to look at a job, shrug my shoulders, say I don't know what's wrong and then say that'll be thirty quid anyway. Still, not everyone thinks like that. 

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1407 on: January 07, 2010, 09:27:21 AM »

Maybe you should start up an on-line advisory service. I reckon you'd get a lot of work.

Reckon so!

I used to be able to 'do' stuff. I recall my first car, I was forever tinkering, taking the head off, redoing the valves, new starter, new distributor, new points. I had the entire dashboard out to replace a heater. These days I open a bonnet and don't know where to look.

Same with computers. Back in the days of Win 3.1 and even 95 I could find my way around the software and hardware workings and generally get the thing going if it broke. With desktops I added drives and replaced memories and power units and all sorts. These days with laptops and Vista and so on I haven't a clue.

I used to be able to write a decent web-page and even include some ASP. These days, no chance.

I'm not even sure of all the functions on the cooker in this house. I know it won't work unless the clock is set, but how you set the actual time, only God and the manufacturer knows. My heating system? There are pipes and valves and taps under the sink and in the airing cupboard of this house that, for all I know, turn off the gas at a power station in the Ukraine.

See my other thread about being crap at DIY. I rest my case.

The modern world, eh?

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1408 on: January 07, 2010, 01:22:12 PM »

Dunno about you but I'm getting worse as I get older, though, Del. I used to take the mick out of people who couldn't programme their video recorders, but whenever I buy something new these days that needs setting up, I find that I just can't be arsed to read the instructions. Trouble is, you have to, otherwise the damn thing won't work. Then you find the instructions are written in a mix of Klingon and algebra, so you're still no further forward.

When I was a kid, my parents used to get me to do stuff like that, because kids seem to have an intuitive grasp of all things mechanical and electrical. So after I'd sweated and cursed my way through the instruction booklet for my digital surround sound and still couldn't make head nor tail of it, I handed the task over to my twelve year-old son, who it turns out has no other technique than pressing every button to see if he gets lucky with one of them, or a combination. After he'd buggered the thing up to the extent where it needed a hard reset, I decided I'd better step back in.

How did you get on with hanging that telly, Del?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:23:20 PM by Ed » Logged

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1409 on: January 07, 2010, 03:39:17 PM »

It still needs hanging, Ed. It's currently on the stand that it came with on top of a set of drawers that places it about four inches lower than if / when I hang it. Was out all day Sunday and been back at work with a vengeance this week, so it'll have to wait for the weekend before I can tear into the wall a little bit more and see if the suspicions that it's metal rather than wood spurs are correct.

I knew this would happen... back to work, suddenly there's just minutes rather than hours of spare time per day. I'm managing to get a few words done on the latest piece every day, enough to keep the flame alive, but not enough to make fast progress. Doesn't help that this week's been really busy. Whilst the rest of the household is off work / school I'm head down graftinga nd getting stressed all over again.

Del

Robert B. Parker
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx