gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 03:44:46 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589005 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1410 on: January 07, 2010, 05:19:44 PM »

That's a bummer, Del. Sorry to hear you're getting stressed already.  undecided

I'm having the opposite experience - making the most of the bad weather and sorting out loads of things at home that I didn't get around to doing over Christmas. No doubt the phone will ring with a vengeance again tomorrow, but my excuse will be that I'm catching up with the (imaginary) backlog created by the bad weather, so I won't be there until Monday cheers

Seventeen and a half days off (not quite in a row, but nearly) - that's the most holiday I've had in ten years. Thank God for the extreme weather. I could almost turn religious. In fact I might just do that if the snow forecast for Sunday and Monday turns out to be heavier than planned with the accompanying high winds. Snow drifts, anybody? smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1411 on: January 07, 2010, 06:27:18 PM »

Ack - me and my big mouth. Now I have to go out to a stables in the middle of nowhere, tomorrow rolleyes They've had no water for two days, apparently. Still, it was nice to dream.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1412 on: January 07, 2010, 08:52:25 PM »

My heating system? There are pipes and valves and taps under the sink and in the airing cupboard of this house that, for all I know, turn off the gas at a power station in the Ukraine.

I used to take the mick out of people who couldn't programme their video recorders, but whenever I buy something new these days that needs setting up, I find that I just can't be arsed to read the instructions. Trouble is, you have to, otherwise the damn thing won't work. Then you find the instructions are written in a mix of Klingon and algebra, so you're still no further forward.

Regardless of how accomplished you are or aren't when it comes to working out the intricacies of modern appliances, those are two of the funniest passages I've read in a long time. I laughed out loud reading them. Keep up with the writing. No matter what genre you're interested in, at some point a little humor is called for to lighten the tension.
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #1413 on: January 08, 2010, 06:40:54 AM »

My heating system? There are pipes and valves and taps under the sink and in the airing cupboard of this house that, for all I know, turn off the gas at a power station in the Ukraine.

I used to take the mick out of people who couldn't programme their video recorders, but whenever I buy something new these days that needs setting up, I find that I just can't be arsed to read the instructions. Trouble is, you have to, otherwise the damn thing won't work. Then you find the instructions are written in a mix of Klingon and algebra, so you're still no further forward.

Regardless of how accomplished you are or aren't when it comes to working out the intricacies of modern appliances, those are two of the funniest passages I've read in a long time. I laughed out loud reading them. Keep up with the writing. No matter what genre you're interested in, at some point a little humor is called for to lighten the tension.

If 'steampunk' categorises writing set during the age of steam, then Derek and Ed must have created a new genre - 'Technopunk'!

DW Cheesy

NoxInflux
Stiff

« Reply #1414 on: January 10, 2010, 11:27:27 AM »

Hi folks!

Got up early this morning, slept 7 hours maybe.
Been on the forums a lot, reviewing texts for my compilation series, no title yet. Someone suggested "Organized Madness/Insanity".
Basically a mix of horror/dark short stories, dark poetry, paranormal non-fiction, occult articles, dark/twisted artwork, artwork to go along with the stories and perhaps a couple B&W photos. A project designed to get highly talented writers and artists the audience they deserve. Exposure. If interested in submitting, let me know.

So I've been working on my project. Keeping discussion going here and elsewhere. Just got invited to join a very large local writers group (hundreds of members) that will open many doors for me. I'm also getting assistance for my writing related projects from a couple award winning authors.

Smoking a lot, drinking too much coffee! heh.
Yeah, stayed up till 2 or 3 last night.

You could say that reading and writing are obsessions of mine. Perhaps for a lot of you guys.

Spending the weekend to myself (first time in a long time)... Downloaded a lot of movies but not watching many of them yet. I am trying to get a collection of Lovecraft (big fan) films and the torrent screwed up half way though and now I don't know if I can complete the download, it sucks.

Anyway! Is anybody interested in real-time chat? Discuss our writing, talk about books and movies maybe.. I use MSN chat and sometimes Google chat. So if you want to chit chat, send me a message!

Have a good evening.

Nox Influx
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1415 on: January 10, 2010, 03:00:30 PM »

Hi Nox.

It's been a long time since I could stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning. Gets to 10:00 and I start getting sleepy. Don't get time to watch too many movies - though I did watch Fistful Of Dollars yesterday morning whilst everyone else was still in bed. First chance I've had to watch a Christmas DVD!

Good luck with your projects Great to see your enthusiasm.

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1416 on: January 12, 2010, 12:27:02 PM »

There was me, sitting down, looking forward to catching up on todays posts, and...  scratch

I hate months when we don't have a crit group session - it's too quiet. Not enough going on.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:29:15 PM by Ed » Logged

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1417 on: January 13, 2010, 03:21:55 AM »

Another four or five inches of snow overnight, and it's still coming down. The schools are closed again (the kids only made it back in for two days!) and I can still work from home...

Hope it's all gone by the weekend. I have a gig in the wilds of Herefordshire, plus I'm itching to get out on the bike and burn up some energy.

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1418 on: January 13, 2010, 03:41:49 AM »

We had a smattering - only an inch or so. Just enough to cause chaos, but not enough to grind everything to a halt. Schools are still open, although the school bus companies aren't running. Typically, I'm supposed to be working outside today, changing over an oil tank rolleyes

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1419 on: January 13, 2010, 03:52:20 AM »

One of the kids is off to London, taking her boyfriend to see a show. They gave themselves an hour to get the four miles to the station. Forty-five minutes later they are only at the end of the boyfriend's road because of the amount of slow moving slithering traffic. Looks like they'll be getting a later train.

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1420 on: January 13, 2010, 01:27:08 PM »

In a local hospital waiting room I saw a notice - 'these are self-clearing tables.' So I put one of my bookmarks on it and waited for the miraculous new engineering feat. Much much later it worked! A woman picked up my bookmark and took it - put it in the bin!

Snow on the way back to Chester - about 2 inches since we left 2 days ago.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1421 on: January 14, 2010, 03:13:29 AM »

Snow's all gone here - had some rain overnight. I was expecting very slippery roads this morning, with yesterdays slush freezing in the predicted frost, but no frost came. I'm quite relieved. I'm supposed to be working out in the boonies today.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1422 on: January 14, 2010, 03:57:25 AM »

Yep, the snow's retreating here, too. The roads seem to be wet rather than icy. I'm relieved as well. Should make travel easier at the weekend and I might even get to go out on my bike!

Derek

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #1423 on: January 14, 2010, 03:58:18 AM »

More snow here overnight. Very annoying. Was hoping to get to my art class this morning, but no point digging the car out -- the class is in a village hall, and there's no way the surrounding area will have been gritted.
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #1424 on: January 14, 2010, 04:26:18 AM »

Brrrrrrrrrrr!

It's cold here.

I almost had to wear a pullover or a jacket today.

DW Cheesy

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx