gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 15, 2017, 05:21:03 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589309 times)
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1425 on: January 16, 2010, 06:31:30 AM »

Struggled through about 1000 words of the latest piece this morning. It was one of the days when there's no inspiration and it's hard work all the way. I'm not 100% sure that the scene is needed or warranted. It may end up being cut as not contributing anything to the story. But such decisions are for another day.

Nevertheless,  quite chuffed to have actually done the graft. Saturdays and Sundays are the only time when I can guilt-freely have a few hours. Watching some live Heineken cup rugby this afternoon and doing a gig in Hereford tonight. Looking forward massively to both!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #1426 on: January 16, 2010, 07:58:12 AM »

Managed to find a window in the weather this morning to go shopping. Been the first day in weeks I've been able to get the car out (road's been sheet of ice) so I stocked up on sacks of potatoes and onions etc. By the time I got back it was snowing again. Luckily this morning's violin pupil managed to get through, so at least I've earned a bit of money. Hubby's at a football match this afternoon (unless it's snowed off) so I'll be able to get some writing done.  smiley
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1427 on: January 16, 2010, 09:09:37 PM »

Snow's all gone. Water everywhere now.  Must have driven through half a dozen floods tonight. Came back a different route to avoid them, more miles, more hills, less water. But the river is running very high. When all the melt comes down off the Welsh mountains we could be in for some fun. And if it freezes tonight tomorrow will be crazy.

Derek
2.00 am and a set of ringing ears.

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Woody
AnnoyEd

« Reply #1428 on: January 16, 2010, 09:14:36 PM »

Del, are you a gigger or a gigee?  scratch

« Reply #1429 on: January 17, 2010, 07:48:20 AM »

The snow's gone, so hopefully I'll get more writing done. It was distracting, because I kept looking out of the window at the white stuff. We don't usually get much here.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1430 on: January 17, 2010, 07:58:17 AM »

Whereabouts are you, Bec? We don't usually get much here, either - I'm in the lowlands of Somerset. It's rained pretty much constantly for the past few days, so there's not even so much as a lump of snowman left here. I wonder if we'll get another dump of snow in February, like we did last year. scratch

Del - how did the gig go - you didn't say huh

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1431 on: January 17, 2010, 08:00:35 AM »

I'm a gigger, I think, Woody. Have a little rock'n'roll trio, although last night it was a quartet as we had a piano player along which was great because it meant I could relax and hand off most of the solos to him , especially as he also played a bit of blues-harp Wink  The place we were playing was all solid brick walls which meant the sound was echoing around like screams in a canyon. It made it difficult to get a good mix. That combined with the fact that the PA was pretty loud meant my ears took a hammering. Still, I think the front of house sound must have been okay. We had them all up and dancing and immediately after we'd finished the promoter was knocking on the dressing room door asking if we would do another half an hour. So more ear-bashing and a very late night. Great fun though.

Del

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1432 on: January 17, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »

Covers or originals or both, Del?  I miss playing gigs and hate going to watch bands when I'm not able to play onstage myself...but when I've had a band I'm happy to go to gigs til music comes out my ears!

Helped my Aunty and Uncle set-up their new laptop, and impressed even myself with my tech savvy, then got back to check my emails to find an editor has sent me a "I'd like to hold on to this story for a bit" email, which I'm not taking as an acceptance (because it obviously isn't) but it's an unexpected bit of 'pretty good' news haha  Wink

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Bec
« Reply #1433 on: January 17, 2010, 11:37:08 AM »

I'm in West Sussex, Ed.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1434 on: January 17, 2010, 11:57:43 AM »

I'm in West Sussex, Ed.

Ah right - you had a fair dump of snow the other day, going by what the weather men said. You going to the WHC in March? Only a short trip down the road from you.

Rev - I'm never sure whether that's a good or a bad thing, myself. It means you almost made the cut for the current edition, but there's no guarantee you'll get into the next. Seems to go 50/50 from here, in my experience.

Del - my ears were ringing on Friday... from using a grinder without ear protection. I reckon you had more fun getting your tinnitus. Wish I'd learned to play something. Keep thinking about having a go at playing the bass guitar, or better still a full sized acoustic bass - I reckon that'd be fun. My main reason is that the strings are fatter, though - not so hard on the finger tips, I hear.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #1435 on: January 17, 2010, 12:21:36 PM »

Still pretty hard on the fingertips, and you need plenty of finger strength and nice square hands. I'm useless on bass, having long spindly fingers. Fine for violin/viola, useless for most other instruments.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1436 on: January 17, 2010, 01:54:12 PM »

Covers band at the moment, Rev. 1950's rock'n'roll mainly. I have been in a few originals bands with some very fine tunesmiths, and played sessions on a few CDs for other songwriters I know. Even got to the South West regional final of a songwriting competition with one of my own compositions once. I recall the final was broadcast on Radio Bristol and I think I came last or last but one. Was nice to get that far though. My song was about Elvis's death, JFK's assassination, and a transvestite Catholic priest. It was called Lucky Man and was all about a tabloid journalist who kept finding himself in the right place at the right time to get the good stories. See, even back then (it was a long time ago) I liked a good story. I think the song that won just went "Girls, girls, girls Yeah!" or something. Probably, anyway. Long time since I've written a song. I met a few people who really know how to do it properly and decided to stick to simple fiction and simpler guitar.

Derek

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1437 on: January 17, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »

Still pretty hard on the fingertips, and you need plenty of finger strength and nice square hands. I'm useless on bass, having long spindly fingers. Fine for violin/viola, useless for most other instruments.

My fingers are fairly short, and they're strong but not at all agile. I'm told the bass is a bit easier than a standard guitar, but you have to stretch more to get the chords, so it may not suit me at all. I've always liked songs with a strong bass line, though. It would be nice to be able to play a few. My best friend has tried many times to get me involved in his band, but my guitar playing wasn't up to much. I did a stint as the lead singer for a while, which was fun. My voice is pretty damn ordinary, but I enjoyed it smiley

Bec
« Reply #1438 on: January 18, 2010, 01:38:18 AM »

You going to the WHC in March? Only a short trip down the road from you.

Probably not. I looked at the website, but I think tickets are something like £75. Anyone here going?
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1439 on: January 18, 2010, 02:29:50 AM »

You going to the WHC in March? Only a short trip down the road from you.

Probably not. I looked at the website, but I think tickets are something like £75. Anyone here going?

There are quite a few Americans dropping out as the date nears, so you can buy tickets directly from them at the same price they paid, which is $70 (about £50), and that gives you access for four days.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx