gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 03:47:51 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589013 times)
Bec
« Reply #1440 on: January 18, 2010, 03:54:34 AM »

Thanks, Ed. I'll bear that in mind.  smiley
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1441 on: January 18, 2010, 05:17:24 AM »

Got that Monday morning feeling this morning. Just can't seem to get my engine up to take-off speed. I think I might treat myself to a third cup of coffee and a stern talking to.

The weekend's fly by, don't they?

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1442 on: January 18, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »

They certainly do! 

All this talk about music makes me want to get my guitars out of storage and go mental, except I kind of can't be bothered, since I know I'll end up writing a song, then think "I wish I had a band to play this with" then get sad, and wish I'd never got my guitars out again  rolleyes

Managed to finish two stories, one for that Dead West antho, and another for the Zombie Zoology antho I or someone posted about ages ago.  Now gonna let them stew for a few days and start work on several new ideas, including one for an extremely high concept pulp piece that would prob make a good start to a novel, maybe.

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1443 on: January 18, 2010, 11:11:41 AM »

Had a hard time on this side of the Atlantic this morning, too. We had a big code deployment Saturday night... went in around 9:30 PM and didn't get out until well past 3 AM Sunday. There were a couple of problems during the night that required calling people at home. This could have been avoided with better communication (they hadn't notified the QA department that the process had changed for a couple of customers...). So I got to sleep in on Sunday, but with the weather all cold and drizzly here, there's not a lot of incentive to get moving.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1444 on: January 19, 2010, 06:02:45 PM »

Pharo, that's tough going. Good on you to keep on and to post here.

I had a letter from my agent with a rejection note from the Penguin imprint Ace / roc science fiction and Fantasy saying they are'sorry to say that in the current crowded market (Left Luggage - my scifi trilogy) does not sound like a book we can make into a success'.

One of many similar. Looks like it isn't the breakthrough I'd hoped for. My agent also says she has already sent it to other publishers and that DAW has been considering Xagrha's Revenge since November. However, if LL doesn't hit a yes by Spring it willl be published by Adventure Books of Seattle. Robert Blevins there is very loyal to me, but promo will be very limited - up to me mostly - hey ho - shades of Escaping Reality and Exit.

On a much much happier note I attach the latest photo of Oliver and me. My daughter, Eleanor, had a dentist appointment so I went to Manchester to babysit.Oliver was stood at and knocked at the inside of the front door so I thought - why not? So I put on my shoes and then his. My coat then his. He has only just - at 11 months - learnt to walk - a toddler in the raw. Only about 20 steps before falling on his own! So I let him, for the first time, to step instead of being carried, over the front door steps, and to walk on the pavement.

My daughter, on her way back from the dentist. saw us and reached for her mobile phone and took this photo. I love it. His first outdoor steps.

Emotion gushing.

Geoff
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:03:46 PM by Geoff_N » Logged

PaulH
Mortician

« Reply #1445 on: January 19, 2010, 07:22:05 PM »

That's such a special moment to have captured. Tales me back to when my two were wee... and didn't answer back so much. 
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1446 on: January 20, 2010, 02:54:10 AM »

Sorry to hear about the novel, Geoff, but it's good to see have grandkids to cheer you up. Funny how they have the ability to take your mind off your own worries. Thanks for sharing the pic afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #1447 on: January 20, 2010, 03:44:58 AM »

Love the photo!
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1448 on: January 20, 2010, 04:51:40 AM »

That is such a sweet picture  smiley

In other news:
I had a letter from my agent with a rejection note from the Penguin imprint Ace / roc science fiction and Fantasy saying they are'sorry to say that in the current crowded market (Left Luggage - my scifi trilogy) does not sound like a book we can make into a success'.
I had exactly, exactly the same response from the same publisher for the novel I'm shopping around >_< must be something in the water haha

I've got a few days off work so I'm going to try and work on a few stories, although lately I seem to be ending up with pieces that fall into the 'a bit too long to do anything with' category  rolleyes

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
digitaldeath
Coffin Maker

wired to alien life

« Reply #1449 on: January 20, 2010, 07:24:16 AM »

I came to England to cover an important sporting event and guess what. They cancelled it because if snow.
I get a little confused on this site, as it runs on US time but it sounds as though there are a lot of UK members!
Going back to Spain Friday, I dare say the weather will be better.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1450 on: January 20, 2010, 07:55:05 AM »

Had a short but intense snowstorm here this morning, again. Couple of inches on the cars in about half an hour. Then it went. Sky's still a little dark, though.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
JonP
Critter

« Reply #1451 on: January 20, 2010, 08:19:17 AM »

That is a lovely pic, Geoff. Our son didn't bother even making the effort to stand up until he was eighteen months - but he was a "bottom shuffler" rather than a crawler. (I think that may be the first time I've actually written that phrase down and it kind of looks wrong. Oh well.) Daughter was a lot quicker off the mark, though.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1452 on: January 20, 2010, 08:24:22 AM »

DD - I'm pretty sure it's because we're hosted in Texas, but I'm also fairly sure you can opt to run on GMT or any other time zone by changing the settings in your profile somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:26:38 AM by Ed » Logged

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1453 on: January 21, 2010, 09:23:11 AM »

just returned from cycling about 40 miles round trip to Mold for haircut. First ride more than 15 miles since before Xmas. Cracked some icy puddles on way but the hills made me steam my goggles! Glad I took my summer mits so I could swap from my winter gloves half way there! Called in at my fitness club near home for sauna, jacuzzi and gentle swim. Luxury. Of course I should be writing and editing but hey ho.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1454 on: January 21, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »

Yeah, but you've got to live a little in-between working, Geoff afro

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx