gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 15, 2017, 05:14:22 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589301 times)
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1455 on: January 23, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »

Was out on the bike this afternoon when a young lad drove into the back of me and knocked me off. No damage to Del, but the rear wheel is beyond repair. Luckily it was my cheap bike. Off to eBay now to find a new wheel.

Gigging at a place up by Worcester tonight, not far from the river. Hopefully the roads won't be as flooded as they were last week.

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Caz
Critter

« Reply #1456 on: January 23, 2010, 01:22:10 PM »

Good to hear you're okay, Del. Some motorist are either blind or just don't care about cyclists. As I was coming of a roundabout today, I was on the ten speed, a guy in a van came up so close behind me that I thought he was going to drive straight through me. I swerved out of his way and watched as he raced across a zebra crossing that a woman was setting foot on. I mouthed the word 'Tosser' to him and about a hundred yards further along the road noticed that the van had stopped in a layby. I thought here we go, then noticed the cop car in front of his van. I rode on past without a word but did smile at the thought that a least he was being given a dressing down. cool 

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1457 on: January 23, 2010, 04:35:12 PM »

Sorry to hear about your prang, Del - didn't you tap him up for some cash? I think I would have tried for fifty quid if it was me. You're certainly entitled to having the bike repaired at his expense. I reme,ber years ago when I was on my TY 125, waiting at a junction, on a hill, behind a car, when the driver in front of me rolled back, thus pinching my front wheel between their bumper and the road - enough to arrest the travel of the car. I reached forward and frantically slapped the boot of the car, but to no avail. When she finally revved up and beetled off, I was left there with a flat tyre and an oval front wheel - no chance at recourse pissed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1458 on: January 24, 2010, 05:01:32 AM »

Aaarrgh, such a pain to be the bike victim of another bike but at least it is never fatal! Hope your gig went well. I like Worcester.

Geoff

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1459 on: January 24, 2010, 05:18:25 AM »

Well I have the lad's details and he's happy to pay for a new wheel. There's not much damage to his car other than a split in his front bumper, but knowing the motoring business even that'll cost him a few quid. I actually have a pretty good rear wheel in the garage, and though it'll need a bit of jiggery pokery with cassettes and gears I think I can probably fix it up without spending anything. I'll give it a go. If I can get it all sorted without cost then I'll be happy. If I have to buy a new wheel or cassette then I'll get the dosh off the lad.

Yep, another good gig. Little place in the middle of nowhere but plenty of locals came in. We played pretty well and they want us back. Whether or not we do is a different matter. Next week it's Malvern. I feel like I'm doing Del's Tour Of The Backwaters at the moment.

Beautiful morning for a cycle ride, alas I'm off to clean the kitchen floor.  scratch

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1460 on: January 24, 2010, 05:23:40 AM »

I assumed it was car on bike, because Del said 'drove into the back' rather than 'rode'. Saying about bike on bike, though - a friend's father had what I thought was a prosthetic leg (until I noticed he had a real foot on the end of it), which was the result of a head-on crash with another motorbike. He said he came-to lying on the road in a really uncomfortable position. Went to turn off the ignition, but his arm wouldn't lift up (dislocated at the shoulder) and then realised the thing making him so uncomfortable was his booted foot poking him in the neck from behind.

(simpost)

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1461 on: January 24, 2010, 05:28:06 AM »

Off out to shoot some poor defenseless clays, later. Should be sorting out my house, though - we've currently go no ceilings throughout the hallway and one bedroom. Dust everywhere. Tons to do. Will be glad when it's all sorted. Still, got to have a day off once in a while.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1462 on: January 24, 2010, 08:16:55 AM »

Enjoy the shooting, Ed. It's bloody cold out there though. I popped out on the motorbike and now I can't get warm.

And yes, it was car on bike. When I said "young lad", I meant, you know, thirty or less.  undecided

Derek

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1463 on: January 24, 2010, 03:56:45 PM »

Aye, twas a bit parky out there. Good fun, though, thanks Del. Had dinner at a friend's house and haven't been home long. Can't believe another weekend is over already undecided Shame it's not the other way around - work two days in seven, have five off.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1464 on: January 25, 2010, 07:16:43 AM »

Yep, I'm with you on that, Ed. They fly by. Though for several reasons this was an excellent weekend. I really enjoyed it (bike incident aside).

Struggling to get achieve takeoff speed again this morning. Seems like my Monday morning problem. Two cups of coffee and my engine is still misfiring. I'm going to plan this afternoon's work and then take the dog round the block, see if that clears the dead gulls out of my turbines.

Derek

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1465 on: January 27, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »

Frustratingly, the story I've written to sub to the Dead West antho is 2500 words too long, and it's proving impossible to knock that amount off without severely affecting the story.  Damn!  Angry I might put it in for crit in Feb, see what folks think.

So, I've been working once again on a novel, set in Arkansas in 1986, and after finishing work this afternoon I've been on a massive research bender  Cheesy I sometimes enjoy research more than writing, especially when I stumble across some really cool local lore or historical info - even if it renders something I've written a little unfeasible whooops haha  rolleyes

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1466 on: January 27, 2010, 06:54:07 PM »

Hmm - deadline's in four days, isn't it. Maybe you should post it into the mid session section of the crit group and see if some of us can help you knock a few words out of it, Rev.

Me - I've just finished working for the night. Had a long day in the cold, got home, had some grub and then had to start again. I've got a guy coming tomorrow to plasterboard my hallway and then skim it, so I had to get on and replace the ceiling joists tonight, otherwise he'd have had nothing to get on with, and I can't put up with another week of dust and fibreglass. Needed to get on with it. Knackered now.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:54:23 PM by Ed » Logged

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1467 on: January 28, 2010, 04:19:33 AM »

My guess is that our house could do with a makeover but I can't be doing with dust and mess. I'm good at putting pictures over unsightly bits of wall, but mainly by not looking at those house defects that draw my wife's eyes all the time. I daren't tell her again that when we go to stately homes all over them there are cracks you can post query letters in - and get better responses.

Terribly busy at the moment. I am editing two other folks' novels and a nephew's screen play. The first two are paying, and I'm in the BSFA crit groups. Trying to get the latter out of the way so to make room for CD critting next month. One of my paying clients has a famous name - at least for Brits: the woman doctor whose daughter was abducted in Portugal. Problem is going to come when her novel is ready for subbing. Would agents and publishers entertain someone with a famous name even though they are not that person? Could be a great marketing ploy yet disrespectful at the same time. She's not keen on using a pseudonym...

Back to work

Geoff
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:20:02 AM by Geoff_N » Logged

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1468 on: January 28, 2010, 01:34:21 PM »

Does she have a middle name she could use to break up the name? Even if it's just an initial it would cause enough interference in the average person's brain to stop them making the connection right away.

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1469 on: January 28, 2010, 02:10:14 PM »

Hmm - deadline's in four days, isn't it. Maybe you should post it into the mid session section of the crit group and see if some of us can help you knock a few words out of it, Rev.

Done and done  smiley

I'm full of neurolgia and sinusitus, and my eyes feel like they're going to fall out of my head, but I'm feeling pretty chipper because my boss has offered me a 'sort-of' promotion!  To cut a long story short, what with the government giving tons of money to companies to make new jobs/positions available, the gallery where I work has made an Exhibitions and Events Assistant (Youth Division) place available.  I'd get to talk with kids about art and things like that, and sounds very cool and interesting.

My boss asked if I'd like the job and of course I said yes, but I have to apply for it through the Job Centre (rather than the council) which means there's a slim chance, behind the scenes, some idiot thinks the 18-24 age group needs an oik picking from it and plonking in the job so as to meet targets.  Or maybe I'm just being paranoid  Cheesy

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx