gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 13, 2017, 07:45:21 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588613 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1470 on: January 28, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »

Does she have a middle name she could use to break up the name? Even if it's just an initial it would cause enough interference in the average person's brain to stop them making the connection right away.

You are right, Ed. Also just using K. McCann might do it.
Speaking of authors with initials, sorry to hear of JD Salinger dying.

Hope you feel better soon, Rev.  (no connection between the preceding two sentences!)

Geoff

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1471 on: January 29, 2010, 07:39:38 AM »

haha thanks Geoff  Wink

I rarely get ill, but when I do it's like my immune system's gone "Nuts to this", packs its bags, and buggers off on holiday.  Trying to ignore the headaches and do some writing, and then tonight I'm off round a friend's house for tea.  Very civilized!  smiley

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1472 on: January 31, 2010, 05:44:56 AM »

Went to a friend of my wife's 50th birthday party last night, and I'd say 90% of the people there were leather factory workers. These are people who prepare the raw hides and turn them into leather, amid deafening levels of noise from machinery, the stench of rancid fat and a poisonous cocktail of bizarre chemicals. It's hard to explain without seeming snobbish, but there wasn't a fine specimen of man or womanhood amongst them - if there had been they'd have shone out like a star. These were people with misshapen bodies, sunken eyes ringed by brown skin, heavy brows. Many wore their best baseball caps, never considering how absurd it was that they'd never even set eyes on the teams whose caps they wore, let alone watched a game, ever. These were people with funny haircuts, sticky-out ears, bottle-bottom glasses, goofy teeth. People with loyalty cards for Poundland, dressed in long since defunct fashions, plaid shirts, corduroy trousers, outfits from Primark that last as long as the first wash and then twist out of shape and sprout woolly balls.

But you know what? Really good night - enjoyed it a lot. Good natured. Fun. Outgoing people. My mind raced with new stories and characters all night afro
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:45:51 AM by Ed » Logged

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1473 on: January 31, 2010, 07:06:31 AM »

Those sort of poeple are often the most down to earth aren't they?  I had an ex-girlfriend who's mum was rough as anything, but a tremendous amount of fun to be around  Cheesy in fact, I always get along with the "less-desirable" members of a girlfriend's family.  Not sure what this says about me haha

Just sent off ...And The Band Played On - if it gets accepted I owe you all a pint  Wink think I'll crack on with some other stories this afternoon...

Had some fun and games yesterday and this morning - a chap came round to fix Sky for my parents, but he stayed about 10 mins (if that) then buggered off, saying "Nothing wrong with your reception" (there is - we can't get most the bloody channels we subscribed to) "it's your tv that's knackered.  It can't process the signal the Skybox is sending it."  That was such obvious bollocks, and after testing every single tv in the house (including a brand new one) it didn't solve the problem, but by this point he'd disappeared.  So now we're trying to get someone back to actually sort the problem out (we can't watch any channels now thanks to that moron).  I haven't experienced such lousy customer service in ages!

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1474 on: January 31, 2010, 09:40:06 AM »

Re: Ed's experience being with a group of leather workers.

My dad-in-law worked at the skinyard tannery across the road from his house for 40+ years. He worked at machines skinning the hides (including illegally imported water buffalo from China, and bison from the USA), handled them into lime pits, huge chrome barrels, into which he once fell. He shaves at night to reduce the risk of getting anthrax - several of his workmates died of it and he reckoned it was their shaving nicks in the morning that increased their risks. I have to say that at 85 he's fairly good looking, though he has several chronic problems with his joints and skin that are probably leather related.

Snow and ice this morning made me abandon my sunday bike ride. Put hiking boots on to reach the local papershop. In spite of vibram soles I still tend to skid sometimes so I peramulated slowly and flatfooted. All went well until a group of runners whizzed past me seemingly uncaring about how they placed their running trainers on the ice. So - if they can, so can I. I picked myself up a few yards later...

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1475 on: January 31, 2010, 09:46:04 AM »

Hey Rev - we had the same kind of problem with sky tv knocking out our digital channels. Apparently if the sky number is say 64, then any digital channels that are nearby in the range get swamped by the signal. To cure it you can go into a settings menu on the sky remote and change the channel sky gets sent out on. Ours is now on 10 and we now get the full range of digital channels.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #1476 on: January 31, 2010, 12:53:28 PM »

Regarding leather workers - as one of my previous surnames is 'Tanner', I think I should take umbrage at Ed's comments. But I won't.  Wink
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1477 on: January 31, 2010, 02:48:17 PM »

... These are people who prepare the raw hides and turn them into leather, amid deafening levels of noise from machinery, the stench of rancid fat and a poisonous cocktail of bizarre chemicals. It's hard to explain without seeming snobbish, but there wasn't a fine specimen of man or womanhood amongst them - if there had been they'd have shone out like a star. These were people with misshapen bodies, sunken eyes ringed by brown skin, heavy brows...

Based on what I read in the excellent series by Lian Hearn beginning with Across the Nightingale Floor, it was same for leather workers in feudal Japan (minus the benefit of machinery to make the task easier). The other Japanese considered them outcasts, and wouldn't go near them for fear of being tainted by the evil spirits which had obviously afflicted these poor souls. Very sad, especially considering how vitally important the leather they produced was for making the armor the high-and-mighty samurai warriors wore!

The books I mention only feature the leather workers in a small role. The main story is about a young man with extraordinary skills and his rise to power from humble beginnings in an obscure village. It's about the factions that seek to use him for their own agendas, and about his love for the beautiful girl who is betrothed (in an arranged marriage) to the most powerful samurai warlord in the land. Great stuff.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1478 on: January 31, 2010, 03:40:08 PM »

Did the final one of my January Flying Saucer Tour gigs  last night (Bill Hicks fans will understand). Malvern was thick was snow and thin with jivers. But those that were there were all up and dancing and had a good time. Afterwards a number of them said we were the finest band they've had there - which is always nice.

Just been to see Avatar. First 3D film I've ever seen. It was very impressive from a technical perspective and looked absolutely superb.

Now got a splitting headache. One of the drawbacks of 3D specs, I reckon.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1479 on: January 31, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »

I always used to get headaches after watching 3D films, but Avatar and another before it didn't give me any trouble. I remember reading something about 3D a while back, and the reason they gave for some people having trouble with headaches after watching them is the movies were filmed using two cameras set the average eye distance apart. If your eyes are narrower or wider apart than the cameras that originally filmed the movie, you get eye strain. I'm not sure whether something has changed with modern production techniques, but I guess the same concept probably applies.

desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #1480 on: February 01, 2010, 04:25:40 AM »

If your eyes are narrower or wider apart than the cameras that originally filmed the movie, you get eye strain.

Does that mean your eyes are too close together, Ed!

Or are you a wide-eyed alien from the planet Caffaydoom?

DW Cheesy

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1481 on: February 01, 2010, 02:13:44 PM »

I'm apparently 'normal', by modern standards at least. It's all those folks who get headaches who are spawny-eyed afro

Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1482 on: February 04, 2010, 12:45:38 PM »

I can't put into words just how ANGRY I am today  pissed 

Last week, my boss offered me a new job within the gallery. I'd get to work with kids and help with exhibits and it basically was/is an excellent opportunity. Suffice to say, I was very happy to be asked.

However. The position is linked with the government's 'Future Jobs Fund'. For anyone who's not familiar with FJF, the idea is the government give a ton of money to an employer, to enable them to create a new job within their organisation. But - and here's one of the first problems with this country's benefit system - these FJF positions are primarily aimed at 18 - 24 year olds, because 'they need the work more than anyone else'. I'm going to leave that statement alone for the time being because it's a whole other can of worms.

I showed the printout of the job to a lady at the Job Centre today and explained how my boss told me to ask about it. She looked at it, noticed it was a FJF job and went "Oh it's for 18 -24 year olds".
I said "Yes I know, but my boss told me that, since I've been technically unemployed for over a year, I am also eligible to apply for the position."
"Oh no," says this woman, "the position can only be offered to people over 24 if" - and this is what's made me so angry - "they've been unemployed between 39 weeks and a year."

I'm involved in this thing called Flexible New Deal, because I have been 'unemployed' for over a year. The point of FND is that I attend interviews/meetings at a sort-of consultancy, and they help me find work. Hmm. Yep.

So, the long and short of it is, I've been unemployed for TOO LONG to apply for a job! A job I've been offered, by a manager, at a place I already work at! A job she wants me to have! It completely beggars belief. I can understand the reasoning that been on FND means that process itself will get me a job, but it's actually going to be at the expense on an exisiting one! I can't put into words how absolutely absurd this is. And that's where I'm ending this post before I dissolve into expletives.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1483 on: February 04, 2010, 01:53:32 PM »

Makes one want to go on the rampage with a very big bloody gun, doesn't it? bangh

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1484 on: February 04, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »

Had a few days off this week, and as always happens when I have time off, my writing productivity rockets. Wtritten over a thousand words each morning. Ideas are overflowing. I'm loving the piece I'm working on at the moment. I'm really really enjoying the writing at the moment. I'd so love to do this all the time.

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx