gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 06:14:12 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 590024 times)
Caz
Critter

« Reply #1620 on: March 17, 2010, 02:22:28 PM »

Just finished reading a Dean Koontz novel. In the author notes he says that the characters are real people and that he intends to spend more time with them. And there in lies the trick of the tale. cool

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1621 on: March 19, 2010, 03:51:26 AM »

Well, here we are again - got that Friday feeling. I hope this weekend goes a little slower than the last, but I doubt it will. I also hope today goes a little easier than yesterday did. I started out thinking I might get a half day - this is where alarm bells should have rung in my head - but I ended up needing things that I had to travel to get, so I spent most of my day traveling around, and yesterday's work still isn't finished today rolleyes

Now I'm thinking I could finish that stuff and take the rest of the day off, but the job should only take an hour, so I'll feel guilty if I do. Ah well. Let's see how it goes.

I hope you're all having a good Friday afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #1622 on: March 19, 2010, 04:03:25 AM »

I'm about to pop the car down to the garage to get the driver's side door fixed. It'll be weird getting in the driver's side after weeks of using the passenger door. At least I wasn't reduced to using the tailgate. People would have pointed and smirked.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1623 on: March 19, 2010, 04:14:52 AM »

Did you get the prang during the snow and ice, Delph? I remember you saying you couldn't get your car out for a few days, backalong.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1624 on: March 19, 2010, 04:23:10 AM »

No work for me today - yeeha!  smiley

So I'm sat here enjoying toast, marmalade, and coffee. Have a bunch of things to do today, but am planning on getting in a bike ride this morning, even if it's only for an hour or so on my new 'climbing loop', and watching the Gold Cup this afternoon. I used to go the the festival every year, but I'll be watching the big race on TV today. It's still a great sporting occasion, and I recall being there when Desert Orchid won many years back.

Been struggling with the latest scene in the WiP for a couple of days. Didn't do any writing yesterday which annoyed the hell out of me. So today, I told myself off - said I'm trying to write the final draft in my mind whilst still only on the first draft. So armed with the permission to write poorly I've already knocked out 400 words over breakfast and got past the hump.

Hey ho.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #1625 on: March 19, 2010, 05:09:24 AM »

Ed - yes, it was the weather wot done it in. Ice in the door mechanism. Cheap car, innards made of plastic, they simply broke. I don't have a garage, so the poor old car takes the brunt of the weather.

Del - I met Desert Orchid once - when he was retired, going round the country shows putting in an appearance. Beautiful animal. Posed for photos with my kids.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1626 on: March 19, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »

Well I backed the winner! Alas, I only had £2.50 in my account. Still, I now have £22.50. Great race. Really enjoyed that.

Did the bike ride I mentioned earlier and, for the first time, used the "virtual competitor" facility that I have on my bike computer. Which basically means I can race against myself using the data from the last time I did same route against my effort today. Today's Del beat Wednesday's Del by 0.49 of a mile.

Also wrote 1200 words.

So, all in all, a grand day. Now for the weekend!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1627 on: March 19, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »

Well I backed the winner! Alas, I only had £2.50 in my account. Still, I now have £22.50. Great race. Really enjoyed that.

Did the bike ride I mentioned earlier and, for the first time, used the "virtual competitor" facility that I have on my bike computer. Which basically means I can race against myself using the data from the last time I did same route against my effort today. Today's Del beat Wednesday's Del by 0.49 of a mile.

Also wrote 1200 words.

So, all in all, a grand day. Now for the weekend!

Derek

Congratulations!  cheers

It's a pretty grand day here, too. The sun is shining, the temperature's in the mid-to-high 60s, it's Friday, and I'm sitting in a Starbucks using their free WiFi. I'm on lunch break from work. Usually I stay in and eat at my desk, but I'm treating myself today. Found some bugs in the stuff I'm testing, which always makes me feel like I'm earning my keep.

On Monday I'll get my performance review. Didn't get a raise last year (nobody in the company did, due to economic situation), but I didn't get one the year before, either because of the discrepancy between my rate and my co-worker's. Now I don't know how others would react, but that didn't do much for my morale. "You're doing a GREAT job, but the salary profile for the department is out of whack, and we're trying to make it more equitable." It's not my fault I have 15 years' experience and my co-worker has 1. I've thought about quitting so many times (every morning) it's not funny. But it's easy work and very close to home. We'll see what happens this year.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1628 on: March 19, 2010, 01:07:08 PM »

I'm in a similar situation, Pharo. Haven't had a rise for two years(*) despite some excellent performance reviews. A bit like your company, no-one in ours got a rise... supposedly. Except, most people did. This year I've done some great work and the vice-president who I've been writing a lot of stuff for told me last week that I've been amazing. Alas, that was our last chat - she's now left the company - and I have to start again with whoever the new management will be. That's partly why I had this week off - a break before the long slog to build a reputation starts all over again.

Good luck with the review next week!

(*) No-one told Tesco though. My shopping bill keeps going up. Council tax, water bill, and fuel, too.  bangh

Derek

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1629 on: March 19, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »

This is where you need to learn to sell yourself and talk the boss into thinking you're indispensable. When they tell you that you've done an amazing job, tap them up for a raise on the spot, and if they say they can't give you a raise you need to tap them up for a few perks, like more holiday, some free merchandise, a better company car, or whatever. There's always something on the table if you press for it, even in hard times like these. If you've got fifteen years experience - that's worth something, and you've got to use it as a bargaining chip when negotiating pay against somebody who's only put in a year. Tell them you're training the jerk, and ask them why the hell you should do your job and half of his for the same money he's getting.

I've had a pretty good day today. I did my hour's overspill from yesterday, then went to look at another job and advise the sparks where to put their wires to pick up our gear. Afterwards I met with a firm I'm thinking of buying some booster pumps from. This afternoon I decided to get some of my weekend chores out of the way, so that the weekend is a bit freer. Had the nipper's xbox apart again and replaced the stupid x bracket arrangement with some longer bolts and a few washers. Fingers crossed, it seem to be working fine again.

Cooked a carbonara for tea, and I'm supping my second glass of wine. Ready for the weekend now. smiley

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1630 on: March 20, 2010, 09:32:29 AM »

Urf - woke up at 4 this morning with a sickness bug my youngest nipper vrought to us on Wednesday. I had hopes the rest of us had escaped it, but both myself and my wife have it and we're feeling pretty dreadful. They're usually mercifully short lived, so let's hope this one's no exception undecided

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1631 on: March 20, 2010, 09:52:27 AM »

My girlfriend's coming to visit me a day late because she's had a sickness bug, and one's gone round pretty much all my friends here in Scunny and they all said it wasn't much fun, so hope you feel better soon Ed  afro

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1632 on: March 20, 2010, 01:15:16 PM »

Been a week away with family in the Lake District. I muchly enjoyed taking my 13-month-old grandson for mini-hikes. He can't say much but he says dog at each dog, cat, and now, duck. However, he does say quack, quack at the latter, and to my relief they said quack quack back  cheers

Baby has taken to singing when I'm carrying him. I often sing to him - you know - how much is that doggy in the window? His version - not in tune - goes like yaaha whaah, dddeeee dum daaaa. etc. Which, I suppose is what he thinks I am doing too.

Got some pages drafted for the third vol of my scifi Left Luggage.

Geoff

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1633 on: March 20, 2010, 05:55:30 PM »

Volume 3! Good going, Geoff. Didn't even know there was a volume 2. I must pay more attention.

Derek

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1634 on: March 21, 2010, 05:22:29 AM »

Volume 3! Good going, Geoff. Didn't even know there was a volume 2. I must pay more attention.
LOL - none of it is published though my agent is hawking LL around publishers. Problem is that the novel is time dependent. Set in 2016 an apocalyptic event spreads through the population. Survivors and space station people struggle to survive and make sense of it all. The diffusion of the event is time dependent and I've described what they'd see in the sky on certain dates. I could advance it another 20 years but it woud take work. I'm strongly considering pulling it from my agent and publishing it through Adventrure Books of Seattle. I'm an editor there so it would seem a bit like self-publishing / vanity publishing but then at least it would be out there.

Geoff

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx