gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 10:30:58 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589895 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1680 on: April 04, 2010, 07:54:02 PM »

Having a good Easter weekend so far down her in the sunny/rainy south-east of England. So far I've watch a tv show about the special effects that the British and French film makers used in the early silent film era. Some great old footage in that one. I finished Joe Hill's 'Heart-Shaped Box,' and a fine story it is. Worked out how to make the time travel aspect of the story I'm writing work. Well, I think I have, tricky old game this time stream stuff. And I played pool.
Now I'm not one to boast, but if anyone's interested in the final score of this epic battle here it is,

Caz: 5

Woody: 1

Good game my friend. grin grin

So in other words, you stuffed him, huh? grin

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Caz
Critter

« Reply #1681 on: April 05, 2010, 05:22:32 AM »

'Rout' is a strong word to use, but I think it's the right one. cool grin

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
delph_ambi
« Reply #1682 on: April 05, 2010, 07:34:11 AM »

Just back from an idyllic few days in a remote dales cottage -- no internet, no television, magnificent log burning stone, great company (hubby, brother and sister-in-law), great food, great beer... bliss!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1683 on: April 07, 2010, 06:18:52 PM »

Sounds great, Delph. I wish I'd made more of my Easter weekend, but I just felt knackered the whole time. I even went out for a long dog walk on Sunday to try and get my idle blood moving, but that didn't make any difference. The rest of the time I just wasted, really scratch

Got my latest rejection through tonight, from Clarkesworld. Very efficient system they've got there, though. You submit via an online form, and the whole process is automated from there. You can track your submission to see where it is in the queue, and they look to give you and answer within an average of 36 hours - how great is that? Still doesn't change the fact they only take 12 pieces of fiction per years, though, so the competition is ridiculously fierce.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1684 on: April 08, 2010, 03:00:05 AM »

God, it's quiet here today - did somebody pull the plug on the collective consciousness?  grin

Seems extra quiet considering the flurry of activity we had in the crit group over the past few days. Good session so far.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:00:23 AM by Ed » Logged

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1685 on: April 08, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »

Yes, good session indeed. Very informative and inspiring. Alas, I knew I shouldn't have got involved. Haven't done a word on the WiP for over a week now. That'll learn me.

Changing the subject, interesting blog entry here for aspiring self-publishers: http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1686 on: April 08, 2010, 10:41:55 AM »

Another anthology I submitted to has gone on lengthy hiatus so now I'm trying to find a home for a Lovecraft/Chandler bizarro noir and a 1st person pulp horror with a werewolf in it  Cheesy but taking advantage of Duotrope's new 'subgenre' and 'style' search brings up sites/zines that only want one element of those stories hahah oh dear surely there must be a market for genre mash-ups???  I hate finding somewhere that looks promising only to read the small print and it's stuff like 'must be set in the present' or 'must be set in the real world'.  Tarnation!  So close...

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #1687 on: April 08, 2010, 11:03:19 AM »

Another anthology I submitted to has gone on lengthy hiatus so now I'm trying to find a home for a Lovecraft/Chandler bizarro noir and a 1st person pulp horror with a werewolf in it  Cheesy but taking advantage of Duotrope's new 'subgenre' and 'style' search brings up sites/zines that only want one element of those stories hahah oh dear surely there must be a market for genre mash-ups???  I hate finding somewhere that looks promising only to read the small print and it's stuff like 'must be set in the present' or 'must be set in the real world'.  Tarnation!  So close...

There you go, your grace!

http://www.pillhillpress.com/silver-moon.html

DW Cheesy

Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1688 on: April 08, 2010, 11:31:20 AM »

Thanks DW - a valiant effort but PHP don't want subs in 1st person  Cry

Actually, rather than just having a bit of a moan, this has made me consider the whole "unpublishable story" angle.  It seems like it's the easiest thing to write hahha and not because it's controversial or anything, but because it's too long for anywhere in particular and/or mixes genres that don't typically go together/aren't that popular.  Has anyone else fallen foul of The Unpublishable Story   for these reasons?  *cue ominous thunderstorm*
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:33:17 AM by Rev. Austin » Logged

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1689 on: April 08, 2010, 11:42:37 AM »

What you need, Rev, is the Cafe Doom Anthology of Unpublishable Stories...

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1690 on: April 08, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »

Yeah, I keep thinking about that myself, believe it or not. On the run up to the WHC I was seriously thinking about doing a chapbook to give away, or sell for a stipend, containing a few stories I keep sending out and getting rejected. I was going to name it "Ed's Trunk".

The thing is, I don't really want the job of editing an antho - I don't think I have the skills required, and I sure as hell don't have time to read a slush pile. Even so, maybe one day it'll come to pass. Plenty of other people do it, don't they.

Caz
Critter

« Reply #1691 on: April 08, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »

Changing the subject, interesting blog entry here for aspiring self-publishers: http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/

Derek

There's an interesting article linked to the blog entry you mention. It's about the future media that books will be published in. I dunno, maybe I'm just a luddite.  scratch
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:43:39 PM by Caz » Logged

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1692 on: April 08, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »

Rev - and Ed, on unpublishables - an alternative target for stories that don't neatly fit mags are competitions with open genre. List of comps here http://www.theshortstory.org.uk/index.php4

Geoff

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1693 on: April 09, 2010, 03:08:31 AM »

Yay!! Friday  smiley

Got a pretty busy day today, but hopefully nothing too stressful. Thought I'd better get back on track with the real work so just flew through 900 words on the WiP. Probably delete about 800 of them in the revision, but nevertheless, after the very acceptable distraction of Week One it was good to pick up where I left off and discover that there were no apparant harmful side-effects of a week's absence from this particular make-believe world.

Everyone else is still fast alseep - the joy of the Easter holidays. I have another week of getting up early to go to work whilst they enjoy extended slumbers.

Hey ho, off to keep the wheels of industry turning.

Derek

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1694 on: April 09, 2010, 05:26:51 AM »

Rev - and Ed, on unpublishables - an alternative target for stories that don't neatly fit mags are competitions with open genre. List of comps here http://www.theshortstory.org.uk/index.php4

Geoff

Cheers Geoff!  Oh, and I'm halfway through Exit... and really enjoying it, and I'm not just saying that to be a suck-up  Wink the first time glitch was ace, and I'm intrigued to find out what part Oqmar and Kur have yet to play!  afro

edit: and I'm going to spend allllll day reworking some stories and finishing off my circus one, see if I can find anywhere to sub it!  And I think my dad's messed with the laptop settings because all the main text on most of the websites I've been on this morning (including here) is MASSIVE but everything else is normal size.  Weird!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:29:14 AM by Rev. Austin » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx