gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 15, 2017, 03:15:34 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589249 times)
digitaldeath
Coffin Maker

wired to alien life

« Reply #1695 on: April 10, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »

Quote from Ed

I was going to name it "Ed's Trunk".

I put a load of short stories in a volume called 'chocolate box' on the assumption somebody may like the flavour of the odd one.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1696 on: April 11, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »

Bought myself a spanking new shotgun yesterday - Italian made, precision engineered, reliable, etc. Put fifty cartridges through it today at the clay shooting grounds and it's broken. Trigger won't fire the second barrel rolleyes Seems to be a fault with the safety catch. Now it's going to have to be sent off somewhere to be repaired. How crap is that? Not impressed.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Caz
Critter

« Reply #1697 on: April 11, 2010, 02:07:51 PM »

That's not good at all, Ed. Maybe you should take it back to the shop, wave it around a bit and say you want your money back. I'm sure they'd see the sense of the situation. afro

Went out for a bike ride this afternoon. On my travels I found a sign for a public footpath. There was no path to speak of but I could see where the grass had been worn away so I decided to investigate. The path followed the course of a stream and there was plenty of trees and old buildings flanking it. I had to take it easy as the ten speed's not built for off road use and after a leisurely fifteen minutes cycle time I came across a sign that said give way to aeroplanes. I'd ended up in the middle of the local airport, right on the taxi lane. I was surprised to find myself where I did and half expected to be accosted by a security guard. Nothing happened though.
And there was me thinking most of these places were off limits nowadays.     

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1698 on: April 11, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »

grin that's ace, and a little scary!  I love finding unused/mysterious pathways - the farmland and woods near my house used to be riddled with 'em but I haven't been exploring in a while...

Had a Family Fun Day at work yesterday - was busy carving a tiki head out of clay when a parent goes to me "And you get paid for this" hahah damn straight!  We're having an evening tiki do with punch and a live band in a couple of months, and cos the gallery's an old church the acoustics are going to be mental  Cheesy I got roped into helping in the cafĂ© section, which is less pay, but my boss said "oh just say you did all day in the gallery on your timesheet" so that was a bonus.   Spent today reworking an old, looong piece, and I realised I've almost got enough stories for a collection (theme: small town horror), which is quite exciting.

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1699 on: April 11, 2010, 05:28:43 PM »

Not been a bad weekend. Had some family round Friday night for a meal and a few drinks. Saturday morning managed a nice 25 mile bike ride then lunch with SWMBO at the local garden centre. Mid afternoon loaded all the guitars and amps into the car and set off for my gig. Couple of hours reheasing and sound-checking, light dinner with the band, then an excellent gig in the evening. This morning I had to do a bit of work as things are a little busy at the mo', but afterwards did manage a ride on the motorcycle to a small pub by the river where my sister and her fellow had moored their boat. Lovely pint of Guinness there. Then took SWMBO out for lunch and popped round to see some friends for a coffee (and beer, as it happened).  Back home, walked the dog, and then watched the first MotoGP of the season. Great race! Tomorrow I'm up at the crack of dawn to head north (Leeds). By my reckoning I'll be spending the best park of seven hours on the rail system, as well as completing a day's work. That'll be me f@#%$d for the rest of the week.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1700 on: April 12, 2010, 02:30:31 AM »

That is odd, isn't it? I thought all those places were completely out of bounds for security reasons. I wonder how often a pilot has to hit the brakes because somebody's walking their dog, or riding their bike across the taxiway.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #1701 on: April 12, 2010, 04:06:49 AM »

I'd ended up in the middle of the local airport, right on the taxi lane.

That almost sounds like a comedy skit. I can see a guy riding a bike down obscure trails trying to avoid muggers only to suddenly emerge and get run over by an airplane.

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1702 on: April 12, 2010, 09:54:08 AM »

As Del knows, we could cycle onto the runway (and get chased off) at Staverton, between Cheltenham and Gloucester. But that was decades ago. No doubt they've mended the fence since.

I once ended up cycling on the M54 at the Telford end. It was at night - I was cycling from Chester to Cheltenham along the A442, which used to go straight through the town to Bridgnorth and Kidderminster. No one told me someone had built a motorway so down this dark slipway I went. Bloody steep to go back up with full panniers.

Geoff

Caz
Critter

« Reply #1703 on: April 12, 2010, 01:35:15 PM »

That is odd, isn't it? I thought all those places were completely out of bounds for security reasons. I wonder how often a pilot has to hit the brakes because somebody's walking their dog, or riding their bike across the taxiway.

There was a couple of warning signs. One said to give way to aeroplanes, sound advice there  rolleyes, the other said trespassers would be prosecuted. I thought about the second sign but figured the small crossing painted on the taxiway meant that it was okay to carry on. Maybe if I had stepped off it that would have been the moment the snipers opened fire.  Shocked
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:36:09 PM by Caz » Logged

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1704 on: April 14, 2010, 03:15:17 AM »

Hmm - I still haven't thought of a way to give away these WHC books. Do you want a separate little comp for them, or would you prefer we just tack it on to the existing flash challenge?

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1705 on: April 14, 2010, 05:08:35 AM »

Hmm - I still haven't thought of a way to give away these WHC books. Do you want a separate little comp for them, or would you prefer we just tack it on to the existing flash challenge?
Nice surprise prize for the flash I'd say.

Like you, Ed, I always end up with a bag of free books at cons. Been tempted to send in my own books for such give aways but one thing puts me off: I rarely read books I receive unsolicited like that. I barely have time to read books I buy or ask for as birthday / Crimbo presents, and have to read books sent to me for review. The free con books are probably great but I find that out when friends and neighbours tell me after I gave them away. How not to get your own books read - give them at cons instead of flogging them.

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1706 on: April 14, 2010, 06:35:10 PM »

I haven't had any time to read anything at the moment. I always used to read in my lunch break, but there are so many people around at work these days that I can't concentrate on a book. In many ways it's a better, more sociable environment than what I'm used to, which is nice to be a part of. I do miss my quiet time with a novel each day, though.

These are spare books that I picked up with Doomers in mind, thinking some of you might like them. If nobody's interested then I'll offload them locally. I've got loads more books besides those I was given, plus three or four that I bought at the convention, which I'll have to make time to read.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:36:24 PM by Ed » Logged

Caz
Critter

« Reply #1707 on: April 15, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »

I'm always up for trying to win a prize in the flash challenge, though I think I'll have to come up with a better flash piece than I have in the last...well, age.

elay2433
Critter

« Reply #1708 on: April 15, 2010, 02:56:34 PM »

I'm always up for trying to win a prize in the flash challenge

Me too. Though I think it was discussed somewhere that shipping rates to the US would be ridiculously expensive. Even if that'd void me from actually receiving the prize, I'd make sure to take part in that particular challenge. It's always more fun when there's a prize offered. Plus, it makes the competition a bit more fierce, I think. And if you picked them up with Doomers in mind, it'd be a shame to just offload them locally - unless of course there are a few Doomers in your general vicinity.  smiley
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:39:43 PM by elay2433 » Logged

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1709 on: April 15, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »

From what Delph said, the postage to the US wasn't a problem, so it'll be open to everybody afro

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx