gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 04:10:32 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588143 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1710 on: April 15, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »

I've read 123 pages of Stephen King's The Stand. Only 1,392 pages to go. Easy to read and engrossing I said when wife came in late from work and I'd not made dinner.

Geoff

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1711 on: April 15, 2010, 05:20:06 PM »

We'll get on and do these special flash challenges, starting next week. Then every couple of weeks after that, with an ordinary challenge every other week, ie one week on, one week off.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1712 on: April 16, 2010, 08:57:25 AM »

Phew... what a week. Long hours and lots of stress. There's still an afternoon's worth of work to go, but I think (touches wood) that most of the pain is over. Almost poured myself a brandy lunchtime, but settled for a cup of tea (well, two cups actually) instead. Don't want to start climbing that particular slippery slope. That said, come 5:00 I might slope off down Tesco's for a six-pack.

I've read 123 pages of Stephen King's The Stand. Only 1,392 pages to go.

That's a great book, Geoff. I've read both the original and the original 'uncutdown' version. At 1392 pages I guess you're reading the bigger version too. I must revisit a couple of those early Kings, soon.

I've just finished Crusader's Cross by James Lee Burke, which was excellent if a little similar to others of his Dave Robicheaux series, and I've just a couple of chapters to go on Irwin Shaw's Evening In Byzantium. It's a great book, probably not literary fiction, but certainly in that Hemingway / Fitzgerald type area.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1713 on: April 17, 2010, 09:18:12 AM »

Hey Caz - where's Woody got to? Haven't seen him around in ages. Not since you thrashed, nay, annihilated him at pool scratch Surely he can't still be licking his wounds huh
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:18:34 AM by Ed » Logged

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Caz
Critter

« Reply #1714 on: April 17, 2010, 01:39:49 PM »

Woody's been busy organising the local book fair, it's taken up most of his free time over the last few weeks. We did meet up to play pool today though and...hmm...well, there's no easy way to put this so I won't even try, I hammered him again five games to one.

I am the Pool King. grin grin

We were talking about the lack of aircraft, the sky is usually crowded with them in this area, as we left the pool hall, looked up into the clear blue sky and saw a bright silver ball. It winked out after about a minute. At a guess it was either Mars or Venus. Never seen anything like that during the daytime before. Shocked

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1715 on: April 17, 2010, 04:08:22 PM »

Venus is visible in the early evening daylight at the moment. There was a beautiful conjunction with the crescent moon last night (and the night before with Mercury, too).

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1716 on: April 17, 2010, 06:31:49 PM »

Oh, I wish I knew about this stuff so that I could look out for it. I've never seen any of the planets.

Re the lack of aircraft, I was listening to the dj on the radio the other day, and he was saying about how the air quality over New York was apparently the best ever recorded on 9/11 because all aircraft were grounded. He was wondering whether the air quality over the UK was significantly better due to all the aircraft being grounded at the moment. It'd be interesting to find out, but who would you ask? The Met office, maybe? scratch

Give our regards and commiserations to Woody, Caz afro
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:33:17 PM by Ed » Logged

PaulH
Mortician

« Reply #1717 on: April 17, 2010, 07:09:56 PM »

I'd have thought the volcanic ash particles in the atmosphere would make up for the lack of aircraft. Goes to show, no matter what we do to mess up the planet, mother nature really knows how to do it!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1718 on: April 18, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »

Yep - I wonder how much carbon dioxide that volcano is chucking out. I bet it's a few cars' worth.

Gorgeous day again today. Went out shooting this morning, at the crack of dawn. Bagged a rabbit, but the rest scarpered before I could get anywhere near them. Need two or three for a good casserole. Couldn't believe the power of this HMR rifle of mine. I got a new telescopic sight for it, so I zeroed it in by shooting a target propped against a 4" x 4" wooden post. When went to check out the target I found the rounds had gone straight through the post and out the other side. It was a solid post, too.

I'm just going to take it steady for the rest of the day. Maybe have a snooze, and then see if I can't finish a story that I started backalong.

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1719 on: April 18, 2010, 10:12:43 AM »

It's a gorgeous day here, too--"here" being Michigan. I drove up Friday to spend a couple days with family. My dad had bypass surgery a couple of weeks ago. He's doing well, but is still in a nursing facility for rehab. Got him out on a day pass yesterday and brought him home for the first time since his surgery. He really enjoyed that, said it was amazing how good it felt just to do a simple thing like go out for breakfast and then sit at home for a couple of hours. We all watched "Up" while we were there. Very cute movie. Took him back late afternoon so he'd be in time for dinner with the other residents. He seems to be doing much better than the average "inmate" we saw there. So many of them are in wheelchairs and unable to fend for themselves anymore. I always thought I wanted to live to be 100, but seeing that makes me wonder.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1720 on: April 18, 2010, 11:50:03 AM »

Those places can be pretty scary, can't they? My wife's nan is 91 and she still lives on her own, outside of warden assisted care or any other backup. She's so fiercely independent that she won't let anybody near the place to help her. In some ways that's a good thing, I suppose, but I don't know what she does with herself all day every day. No company, other than the TV and radio, not a good word to say about any of her neighbours, though they all treat her well. It must be very lonely and boring for her. But that's how she wants it.

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1721 on: April 18, 2010, 02:48:48 PM »

Supervised a kid's party yesterday - 11 five year olds! - and it went well, despite one game devolving into a chaotic mess the instant I shouted "Go!".  Got major 'props' from the people I work with because it's not something they fancy doing  smiley

Watched Kick-Ass with my bro today - incredible!  I was worried it'd do a 'Hancock' and turn in to the very thing it claimed not to be but it's a solid, excellent film.  But don't take my word for it!  See what the DAILY MAIL had to say hahahahaha http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1262948/Kick-Ass-Dont-fooled-hype--This-crime-cinema-twisted-cynical-revels-abuse-childhood.html

Trying to finish/polish the next adventure of Jonny Cave for New Bedlam - almost at 9000 words whoops but a lot of this is because I reference the previous Cave story, so might have to drop it, oh well  rolleyes
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:39:01 PM by Rev. Austin » Logged

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1722 on: April 19, 2010, 02:17:38 AM »

11 five year-olds in one place sounds like my idea of hell. Maybe you should train to be a teacher, Rev - sounds like you could handle it, and the pay isn't bad AFAIK. Plenty of holidays, too afro

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1723 on: April 19, 2010, 06:00:37 AM »

I've never seen any of the planets.

But like saying "I've never seen a murderer..."  I'm sure you've seen Venus and Mars and Jupiter many times just without realising it. Same way as I used to walk past Fred West's house every time I went to town...

Derek

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1724 on: April 19, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »

11 five year-olds in one place sounds like my idea of hell. Maybe you should train to be a teacher, Rev - sounds like you could handle it, and the pay isn't bad AFAIK. Plenty of holidays, too afro

Funnily enough (or not) I applied for a number of teaching courses last year and feel intensely jaded from the whole experience.  I wanted to get into Media Studies but there are very few courses specifically for this, so I looked at/applied for English with Media Studies courses.  I got two interviews from numerous applications - one, I thought, went really well but I didn't get a place, and the other one...well, when the woman interviewing me found out I don't read poetry I might as well have been poop on her shoe.  I pointed out I was applying for the Media course, to which she said "I don't think you're the sort of person we're looking for" I don't know how on earth she worked that one out because it's not like I don't have experience in the media industry, but anyway...she was very rude!  Plus, the sheer number of people applying for the courses I went for was insane, and I was the oldest applicant at both interviews I went to, by quite a few years, which seemed weird.  I thought my life experience would work in my favour but the impression I got was that the universities wanted someone fresh-faced from studying, who'd probably never lived on their own before, never mind handled a load of people they were slightly older than. 

Yeah so I'm a bit bitter about it  grin

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx