News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Sounds really crap. Those teacher-teachers and higher echelons of education type people are a breed apart, aren't they. Once you get past them you're alright. Trouble is, they're like sniffer dogs for normality. They can smell normal people a mile off. You need to soak your clothes in coffee and wear a disguise the next time you get an interview. Wear a sweater with leather patches on the elbows and stuff like that. You get the gist, I'm sure :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

fnord33

Maybe next time you should drop some acid before the interview. I had a similar but opposite experience a while back when interviewing for a server position at a football themed fine dining restaurant. I was led into the HR office and introduced by one of their servers that used to manage one of the nicest restaurants in town and he told her not to bother interviewing me and that she should just hire me on the spot. It couldn't have been going any better until she asked me what my favorite team was. When I told her that I have no interest in sports she all but drop kicked me out the door. I don't even know enough about football to bullshit my way through a conversation. I probably would have named a basketball team or something if I'd tried to lie. I could be making about 300 a night right now if only I had an interest in watching beefy millionaires run into each other. Oh well.

On a side note, I got mooned for the first time today. That was interesting. I didn't think people still did that.   
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Rev. Austin

hahaha I hope they weren't in your house

When I woke up my parents said "Tonight, we need to talk about your future"  :buck:

Boy oh boy, am I looking forward to THAT conversation!  Although I'm pretty certain it'll be exactly the same conversation with exactly the same end as it always is. 
"You need more money/to work in an office/a 9-5 job/a career plan"
"I'm moving away before Christmas/maybe earlier/if I can find a similar arty job to what I do now/I've already been offered a couple of promotions in my current job/the hours are random but that's no reason to drop it for an office job"

:bangh:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

desertwomble

Quote from: Rev. Austin on April 20, 2010, 07:56:02 AM
When I woke up my parents said "Tonight, we need to talk about your future"  :buck:

Just tell them the Icelandic volcano is presaging the End of the World, so there is no future!

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

Rev. Austin

hahah yeah "Are you kidding me?! We've got more important things to worry about than my five year plan!"

Geoff_N

Ed, my wife is one of those teach teacher upper echelon types. Comes in handy when she inspects post-grad student teachers in nice locations - like today in Llangollen, so I cadged a lift and went for a 4 hour hike in the hills. Pics on my facebook.

I'd have given you a place, Rev. Maybe the interviews should be in a Tesco cafe and the topic : creating horror and science fiction.

Geoff

Ed

Ah, so you're the perfect person to ask then, Geoff - does the coffee soaked disguise work, or have you been found out? Reminds me of those TV shows where the suspect turns out to be a cop who's been deep undercover for years :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

Funny how it all goes quiet here on the last week of the month. Got to wonder if everybody's getting their latest opus ready for the crit group restarting on the first of May :huh:

More likely taking advantage of the good weather we've been having, I reckon  :afro:

Rev. Austin

I told the snooty woman who interviewed I was a published writer etc but even that didn't impress her!  I don't know, some people...  ;)

I'm tempted to go for a walk today.  I think, though, that I might buy a cheap little camera.  I always feel more inclined to wander about if I'm taking pictures and I haven't done that in ages - the last time was back in Derby, and I found a disused/overgrown train platform and tracks close to my flat.

delboy

QuoteFunny how it all goes quiet here on the last week of the month

Strange month for me. Had a really busy week at work last week followed by a calm one, this. Not sure what direction my job (can't really call it a career) will take as I'm meant to be changing roles but the current management want to keep me. It's all a bit frustrating and uninspiring and I can't settle to any long term projects. The crit group week - which was great - took up loads of my spare time and ruined my WiP rhythm and then the clocks went forward and suddenly that spare time is all about weeding and mowing and tidying and dog-walking. Trying to get some focus and goals into my life on a number of levels. We're ramping up the rock'n'roll band activity, I'm trying to increase bike mileage in order to gain a bit of fitness and lose a little weight and be able to enjoy longer summer rides. Need to do some spring cleaning and dejunking and try and raise some money from somewhere. All in all, it's a bit of typical spring month - new beginnings and fresh starts and all that.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Caz

The sound of powering up jet engines drifting over from the airport, the buzz of light aeroplanes and a sky full of con trails. It was too good to last. Ho hum.
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Rev. Austin

Going to visit my girlfriend again this weekend; I think we're going to visit a nearby national park but I'm not sure.  Hope the weather remains mild!

Rev. Austin

I'm thinking of buying a new camera too.  I used to enjoy taking photographs of natural beauty but had to stop when my neighbour called the police.  ;)

Caz

I'm going to have a search tomorrow and see if I can buy some film for an old 'OM1 Olympus' camera that I've still got. Its got a super dooper zoom lens and I've ever captured ghost pictures with it, okay double exposures fakes then. I even convinced people that I had a twin brother with that old trick. Not used it in years but the pictures it takes are far better than the ones my forty quid digital camera does.
So all I need is some film, a place to get it developed and a scanner or a way to get the pictures turned into a digital format. Busy day ahead.
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

delph_ambi

35mm film is available anywhere. Processing is available anywhere. Most people who process your film nowadays will also provide you with a CD with all the pictures so you don't even need to scan them.

I sometimes use my Dad's old Kodak Retina camera (circa 1930). It works fine. Doesn't need batteries for any function at all. Works silently and wonderfully. I used it not so long ago for an art project when I needed double and triple exposures for special effects. Much easier to do manually on film than mucking about with photoshop.