News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

It was a pretty quiet bank holiday weekend here. No knife fights, or pool cues across the head. No smashed windows and very little booze. Tons of fornication, of course, but that goes without saying on a spring Bank Holiday.

Did do plenty of writing,and really enjoyed it, despite one of my characters again taking my story way off plan. Another character did the same thing not long ago and I'd just about solved all the issues that were raised as a result of that... Now I have to figure out a whole lot more. Nice problem to have, though. 

Alas, the evidence has been building for some time and has now become overwhelming: when I'm not at work I can write over a thousand words a day, sometimes several thousand. When I am at work I struggle to get a few hundred down. It's nothing to do with writer's block or inspiration, but it's everything to do with time, and - more crucially - mental energy. Spring, summer, and autumn add to the issues as there are so many things that need doing in addition to the writing.

It may be that it's not until I retire that I'll find the ideal rhythm for writing. And by then, new authors will be a thing of the past...

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Heh - I asked my kids who they were going to vote for. My youngest (10 yrs) asked what the choice was, so we told him, Brown, Cameron or Clegg. He said he was going to vote for Gordon Brown. We asked why, and he said he liked the name 'Gordon'. Next I asked our eldest (12 yrs), and he said Brown, too. His reasons were that he likes the colour brown, and his hair is that colour.

At this point I said that's why kids aren't entitled to vote. Though, having said that, I suddenly realised there are a lot of people who are entitled to vote who probably make their choices in much the same way. :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Bec

Hehe, I like it, Ed.

I voted UKIP, 'cos I thought a subliminal message 'You Kip' would float around my mind and cure me of my insomnia. (Only kidding).   :grin:

fnord33

I would vote Loony every time. Unfortunately, American Loonys are the dangerous kind and they already run everything.   
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Rev. Austin

I didn't vote, nor have ever voted, purely because I have about this much interest in politics: *here* to *here*

I know there are people who go "Well you should care about who runs the country" and I would, if any of the candidates even remotely resembled normal human beings, not hyperbole- and rhetoric-fuelled automatons.  ;)

Anyway, the party I had an interest in wasn't running in my area:
http://www.votecure.com/vote
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

JonP

This was my favourite candidate last night.

Ed

Must admit I rarely feel the urge to vote in a general election. It seems to me like my vote doesn't make any difference anyway - and I was proven right yet again this time. Until we get proportional representation it's always going to be the same.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Grillmeat

Have a nice weekend everyone.
I'm off to Seattle area for a two day agility trial.
Was going to put a picture up so you could see what I'll be doing but I can't seem to figure out how to upload pictures to this site....... :scratch:
Oh well. Take care everyone!
OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!

Ed

Thanks, Grill - I hope you had a good time and didn't do any face-plants on video that'll be repeated ad nauseum on television outtake shows for years to come :afro:

You should be able to attach stuff when you're posting here by clicking on 'Additional options', where you'll find a box with 'Attach' next to it. Allowed file types: txt, doc, pdf, jpg, gif, mpg, png, rtf, mp3. Maximum attachment size allowed: 7000 KB, per post: 4.  :smiley:

Ed

Hmm - looks like we have a coalition government, then :scratch: Had to happen, I suppose. Now let the austerity begin. We're going to get taxed like never before over the next decade or more to pay off this huge deficit. I still reckon the government should have made the banks pay it, somehow. Attach their profits until they've paid it off, or simply repossess all their houses. After all, that's what they would have done to any one of us if we ran up a debt we couldn't pay.

Rev. Austin

Despite what I said before, I'm actually quite excited to see what things will be like under Conserviberal.  Go figure!
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

delboy

Wasn't it the Governor of the Bank of England who said, a few days before the election, that whoever gets in this time is going to have to put in places such stringent and unpopular measures that it'll be a generation before they get in again. So from that POV it looks like Labour are in the best position! Let's all emigrate to Greece!

Bankers... pah!

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Caz

If we get the vote on electoral reform then it's a thumbs down from me. PR, what a joke. Still, having said that I would like to see something done about the bias boundaries that Labour put in place. Democratic, I think not.
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Geoff_N

Caz, what's this about 'bias boundaries'? There are many areas where the Conservatives have benefitted from the recent boundary changes, esp for local councils. The boundaries are decided by politically independent boundary commissions using demographic / residential / landuse mapping changes. It's complicated stuff but not dictated by the former Labour Government no matter what the Daily Mail says.

Whatever our politics, the new ConLib coalition will make for more entertaining viewing than the old days.

Caz

Quote from: Geoff_N on May 12, 2010, 02:06:15 PM
Caz, what's this about 'bias boundaries'?

I knew I shouldn't have said it. :2funny:

From the paper I read, it's not the Mail, I prefer something a little less bias so I read the Express  ::) , and the TV news I gathered  that the amount of votes Labour got was as bad as they did under Michael Foot. As they were annihilated in that election it seems a bit odd that they weren't this time. I can't remember exactly where I heard it but a lot of media types where saying the reason for this was because of the boundary changes to the constituencies. Also, I remember hearing that this would make it hard for the Tories to score an outright victory, which turned out to be true. I don't know enough about the subject to know why political commentators where saying that the playing field wasn't level, but a lot of them were.
At the end of the day Labour were kicked out, and I'm happy with that.
I won't say all Labour MPs were bad, I know nothing about them so I can't, but many in the Labour government were bare faced liars. They wouldn't answer a question with a honest reply and treated the voting public with contempt. They got exactly what they deserved.
I've never voted for a political party in my life. I just vote against the one I hate the most.
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.