News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_N

Again my mrs had to work in Llangollen so I chauffered, donned my hiking boots and headed for the hills. I've just uploaded a clip to Youtube if you'd like to view http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToFrMzoymo0

I only encountered two other people in four hours, who'd have thought you could be so alone in Britain. Marvelous for thinking plots and characters.

Geoff

delboy

Quotewho'd have thought you could be so alone in Britain.

Sounds like one of my gigs.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

delph_ambi

Love the video, Geoff. Bishop Auckland was grey and dull today, but tonight's writing group was fun. The lady leading the workshop had brought along masses of green things from her garden plus spices, various alcoholic substances, etc -- for everyone to smell and thus be inspired to creativity. And we were. Some great writing came out of the experience. The whiskey got drunk, of course.  :afro:

delboy

It's Friday!  :cheers: And it's a Bank Holiday weekend !!  :cheers: :cheers:

No major plans for the weekend, which is kind of nice. Not sure what the weather is planning on doing, either. It was supposed to be wet the last two days but apart from one shower it's been lovely, so who can trust what those clever met office people say? Might get out on the bike, or go for a pint by the river, or go for a ride to the river on the bike and have a pint whilst I'm there...

The world, this weekend, is my oyster.  :idiot:

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

I'm seriously looking forward to having three days off in a row - the prospect is thrilling, even though I realise I'll be working in one form or another for most of the time. Either DIY, or building a new go kart for the kids. Got to be done :smiley:

Have a good one, everybody :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

Left Luggage has yet to find a major publisher but at least the intro has been awarded an Honorable Mention for May 2010. here
http://www.strongscenecontest.com/ about half way down.

It might help the remaining publishers to be more positive. 

Geoff

Rev. Austin

Nice one Geoff!

I typically get a three-day weekend anyways so no major change to my schedule, but I am going to try and finish a steampunk story I'm working on...

Should also be moving into my friend's house in a few weeks, just need to find the right time to spring the news on my folks - I'm sure they'll be relieved I'm moving out though  ::)
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Russell

In Glaisdale in the North Yorkshire Moors for the half term week. The plan is to get lots of walking in. Currently have my feet up with a cup of tea after the long drive up from the south coast. Main worry is that the local pub is rather further away than I hoped  it would be. Also I have an idea for this week's flash challenge - perhaps I could write it up on my phone whilst watching Eurovision.

Russell

delboy

Lazy day for me as the weather's been so horrible it didn't inspire venturing out. Got up at 6.00 because the dog was howling (I think there's a bitch about), which wasn't how I was intending starting the weekend, so I settled down to watch The Return Of The Magnificent Seven. Followed that up with a couple of hours of guitar practice and a thousand words on the WiP. Then it was down the shop for some bacon and rolls, cooking, taking the hound out for a walk, and an afternoon on the couch watching Misery. My intention had been to watch and listen to the William Goldman commentary which was advertised as one of the DVD extras. Alas, this wasn't on the DVD so I just had to enjoy the film as was.

Derek

Robert B. Parker

Caz

Quote from: Russell on May 29, 2010, 11:30:42 AM
perhaps I could write it up on my phone whilst watching Eurovision.

Russell

You're a braver man than me. I thought interpol was going to shut that competition down.  :grin:

I had the usual start to the long weekend, a woman driver decided that she wasn't going to stop as she drove onto a roundabout even though I was already on it and signalling where I intended to go. I slammed on the brakes, she slammed on the brakes and I threw a few Fs her way. I know I'm not invisible so why are so many drivers blind to cyclists? :pissed:
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Ed

As predicted, I spent most of my time doing plumbing on my day off. Put a new radiator in the hallway and disappeared some exposed pipes under the floor. Tomorrow will probably be doing skirting boards. Maybe start building a cupboard to hide the fuse boards and meter. Maybe hang a new door into the lounge and/or bathroom. At least when it's raining you don't feel like you've particularly wasted the day. It'll be nice to get it all done, too.

I'm planning to do a green oak extension on our kitchen sometime soon, because a guy one of the developers uses for that kind of thing is out of work at the moment and willing to do it cheaply. The only trouble is it'll still cost a scary amount of money and take up a lot of my time. It will make the house a lot more pleasant to live in, though. I think it'll be worth the effort.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

Quote from: Caz on May 29, 2010, 01:49:18 PMthe usual start to the long weekend, a woman driver decided that she wasn't going to stop as she drove onto a roundabout even though I was already on it and signalling where I intended to go. I slammed on the brakes, she slammed on the brakes and I threw a few Fs her way. I know I'm not invisible so why are so many drivers blind to cyclists? :pissed:

I've cycled nearly every day for 50 years and that kind of thing has happened to me a few times. In recent years I always wear bright colours. I am amazed at how many kamikaze cyclists wear greys and dull colours, even black at night. I've also taken to have a flashing rear LED on even in daytime while on the road. I'm convinced drivers keep their distance more while overtaking. Maybe because they think I must be new to cycling and might wobble ;)

Geoff

Ed

Just think how much wider a berth they'd give you if you fitted stabilizers :afro:

Caz

Quote from: Geoff_N on May 30, 2010, 05:55:01 PM
I am amazed at how many kamikaze cyclists wear greys and dull colours, even black at night.

Err...um...yeah, that sounds sort of familiar. The flashing light on during the day sounds like a good idea, have to get meself one of them. :afro:

Quote from: Ed on May 31, 2010, 05:07:09 AM
Just think how much wider a berth they'd give you if you fitted stabilizers :afro:

Or better still some of those rotating blades that they used to fit to chariots. Now there's an idea. :cool:
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

digitaldeath

I encountered a massive cycle ride the other day. One guy had a flashing white LED or whatever on the front, it looked about 3inches across, couldn't miss him. Sometimes being seen from the front is just as vital. Having almost being killed on a motorbike by a blind and stupid lorry driver I know the feeling. I had an email photo, a woman had pulled onto a main road in front of a motorbike and it went INSIDE, totally invisible from the front view. 3 dead.