gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 11:11:14 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589782 times)
digitaldeath
Coffin Maker

wired to alien life

« Reply #1845 on: June 04, 2010, 02:12:23 PM »

Thanks Delph, I forgot to do the index page. Maybe a couple deeper into the site too. Maybe later, not on my computer at the moment.
Ta
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1846 on: June 04, 2010, 06:47:51 PM »

I took another early day today, because I can. The weather has been beautiful. Too nice to be stuck at work. Glad I made the most of it - seems like it's going to rain for a week now, at least.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #1847 on: June 05, 2010, 01:29:08 AM »

It had better not! Barbecue tonight...
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1848 on: June 05, 2010, 04:02:24 AM »

It had better not! Barbecue tonight...

The forecasters say it'll rain early evening, so it might be as well to spark up the barbecue at lunch time afro But then they're always wrong, so it's anybody's guess.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delph_ambi
« Reply #1849 on: June 06, 2010, 11:58:08 AM »

Everything was fine. Red hot afternoon (we drank Pimms, natch), grew steadily more humid, wind dropped, clouds gathered... but the thunder and following cloudburst didn't start until ten in the evening, at which point we all gathered up everything and ran indoors, having consumed ostrich burgers, venison sausages, etc etc.
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1850 on: June 06, 2010, 02:51:27 PM »

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what is a Tiki Fun Day? Just in case I ever get invited to one.

Allow me to elaborate, young man!

We have a display of Tiki art at work at the moment, so think Butlins in the mid-60's, Hawaiian shirts and maori/easter island heads/masks.  We had a bunch of activities themed around Tiki for kids to do, like paint tiki mask mugs, colour in cards, make flower garlands, and so forth.  It was a lot of fun but bloody hot, and I spent two hours standing in Scunthorpe town centre trying to convince the Great Unwashed to dig some culture. 

So now you know  Wink

Today I managed to finish two stories, and started researching another one set in the Dust Bowl in the mid-30's...some very interesting documentaries about this on the internet.  Oh, and Zombie Zoology has been reviewed on FANGORIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I don't get mentioned, but then that's not the point is it  azn

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1851 on: June 06, 2010, 05:39:07 PM »

So much for the weather forecast - it was a gorgeous day today. Still hasn't rained here. Spent the day spoodling around and relaxing, mainly. Need a down day every so often.

Went to the gym for a fitness MOT yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the results. Had all the blood tests and BMI, waist/hip measurements taken. VOX, etc. Turns out I'm fitter than I thought. Did a solid hour of cardio vascular exercises - 15 mins on rowing machine, upright bike, cross trainer and treadmill. Didn't get out of breath, didn't feel tired at the end of it and haven't felt stiff today.

Interesting that my resting heart rate hasn't changed since it lowered shortly after I quit smoking. My heartrate as a smoker was 97 bpm. Within two days of stopping it dropped to 67 bpm, and that's what it is now. My trainer (what am I, an animal?) said with more exercise it will drop even lower. I'm intending to go three times a week - try to shape up a bit and drop a few pounds of ugly fat. I reckon 20lbs would be good, but I'm aiming for a stone over three months, which should be doable, as long as all this extra exercise doen't make me ravenous. scratch

Correction - I've just looked back at a post I made four years ago and found my heart rate went from 90-92 to 58-60, so it has crept up a little.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 05:53:07 PM by Ed » Logged

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1852 on: June 07, 2010, 02:49:38 AM »

Congrats, RevA, for Fangoria - I know what you mean about not being mentioned. I'm in the horror antho - Horrorzine: Twice the Terror, but it's the famous writers  in there that gets the mentions. One day, our time will come. smiley

Congrats too to Ed for being fit. My bpm used to be under 50, but two stones later it's around 60. I've shaved off a stone since Christmas and feel better for it - need more. I'm off on my annual bike ride to Gloucestershire on Wednesday so mucho repacking and trying to lose another pound or so instead of reducing bike weight like I usually do - cutting toothbrush in half, etc. Looking forward to meeting up with Del on Sunday.

Geoff

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1853 on: June 07, 2010, 03:39:25 AM »

My resting heartbeat is very low 40s. I asked the doctor about this once and was told "You're just a fit young man." The thing is I'm neither fit nor young. Low 40s is close to Olympic or Tour De France resting heart beat stuff. When I'm out on my bike I find it quite hard to raise my bpm up to anything like my (assumed) max unless I'm going up a really steep hill. Most of the time it hovers around the 110 / 120 mark whilst cycling. Maybe my heart is just laid back.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
JonP
Critter

« Reply #1854 on: June 07, 2010, 04:00:17 PM »

Allow me to elaborate, young man!

Well that made my day smiley  Thanks for the explanation, Rev. I am now prepared for all eventualities.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1855 on: June 08, 2010, 04:19:49 AM »

A week of hot weather...a few days of rain... the council now giving us food waste bins...the recycling bin having a cheap unfitting lid... and suddenly my garden is turning into a Guy N Smith novel... maggots and slugs abound. Saves on fishing bait, though!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1856 on: June 08, 2010, 12:30:43 PM »

We've had them for a couple of years now, and it doesn't take long to get used to separating everything out. The biggest problem we had was when the council told us all to compost our food waste ourselves. The rat population increased exponentially. The damn things were everywhere.

Russell
Grave Digger

« Reply #1857 on: June 08, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »

My resting heartbeat is very low 40s.

I'm taking my blood pressure a couple of times a day to prove to my Doctor that it is OK - whenever she takes it it is a bit borderline ... but what does she expect - she’s gorgeous.  (I’ve had high blood pressure (which is treated) for 20 years or so.)  Tonight my resting heartbeat was 90 – Sunday it was 72 so perhaps I am not that rested.

At my annual checkup she decided that it would be best to treat my cholesterol with Statins.  At 5.5 I thought that my cholesterol was not too bad but she probably had a quota to reach.  The one downside is that you have to avoid grapefruit/grapefruit juice.  All other fruits and juices are OK.  I love grapefruit.  Cry  Anyway, I decided to Google Statins and grapefruit, the results included:

It Just Takes One Drink or One Grapefruit… …can cause a variety of health problems, such as liver damage or a rare condition called rhabdomyolysis (severe muscle and kidney damage).

I think I’ll layoff the grapefruit.
digitaldeath
Coffin Maker

wired to alien life

« Reply #1858 on: June 08, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »

My latest character believes he is all but invulnerable. That sick B'stards keep him alive as light entertainment, torturing his soul. naturally it is based on fact.
This afternoon I caught the edge of a diesel spill on a bend. The car hit a telegraph pole just behind the drivers door and was remodelled. The pole tried to come in through the windscreen but missed me.
Only I am still in the red and will have toreplace it to work this saturday.
Maybe I am a cat as I just have a bruised lumbar spine. Perhaps I am a cat like my character.
Cement mixer, motorcycle, lorry, severed umbilical cold while commercial diving to name but a few.
If God does have a 'Dead Pool' someone is cheating.
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1859 on: June 08, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »

Good grief!

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: