News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

I managed CSE French about thirty-something years ago, but I still retain enough knowledge to translate Delph and Womble's exchange above:

"By coincidence, my blossom is wilting."
"Terrible news, little fur-less hand dog."

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Rev. Austin

My favourite French phrase is "Je suis le grande pomme-de-terre."  I'm actually hoping to start learning Spanish soon with some friends, if it doesn't cost too much.
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Ed

Quote from: delph_ambi on June 15, 2010, 06:53:31 AM
Merci, mon p'tit chou  :azn:

My little shoe? :scratch:

I would like to learn some more Italian. I can speak a tiny bit of it (eyo capisco italiano un po), but not enough to hold a conversation.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

digitaldeath

Quote from: Rev. Austin on June 15, 2010, 08:48:56 AM
My favourite French phrase is "Je suis le grande pomme-de-terre."  I'm actually hoping to start learning Spanish soon with some friends, if it doesn't cost too much.

I am the big potato?

No,  lost in translation. Tengo muchas problemas con otros idiomas. Vivo cerca Malaga pero mucho gente hablan Andaluz.
Now even I'm impressed!

Geoff_N

Just got back home this afto after cycling Chester to Cheltenham and back with many a zigzag diversion. 320 miles give or take a wobble and the return easier having lost a couple of kilograms of superflous adipose tissue. Met up with Del at a beauty spot in Gloucestershire. He wouldn't let me pay for lunch - what a gent! Thanks, Del.

Geoff

delboy

Been listening to a few author interviews recently. Last night was Peter Straub's turn. Aside from the fact it was from some 25/30 years ago and it was hilarious to listen to them discussing word processors Straub touched on several things that resonated with me.

Firstly he was talking about how he cannot fathom how someone can do a fulltime job and then come home and write. Writing is exhausting work, he says. I totally agree. I don't know what the answer is, but Straub had a wife who supported him whilst he struggled in the early days (making just a few hundred dollars a year). They even moved to a different country to be away from in-laws and parents who looked condescendingly down on Peter. Then he wrote Julia and it all came good and they were able to buy a house....

Secondly, he was talking about how you have to hold an entire novel in your head, and the further you get with it, the more you have to carry. Not just plot, or character traits or the colour of someone's eyes, but the rhythm of the prose, the phrasing you've used. Again, I totally agree, and it was nice to hear it vociferated.

There are scores of these great interviews. Have a look at:

http://wiredforbooks.org/swaim/

Some of them will scare you to death with the impossibility of ever making it. Some will inspire you.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Yeah, I agree, it's difficult as hell to hold down a day job and try to write in your spare time. I don't have the energy to do both. I wonder if that's just because I'm not cut out for it, though. I could put the words down, for sure, but it's more than that, isn't it.

Stephen King had Tabatha to support him while he wrote Carrie, AFAIK. I wonder how many other famous authors made it because they had the mental space and the time to write something, rather than losing it to a paying job.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

Hate to say this, Del and Ed, but maybe you spend so much time reading and listening / watching author interviews and bios, etc that you've no time left over for your own writing.

Geoff

Russell

Quote from: Ed on June 18, 2010, 06:43:40 PM
Yeah, I agree, it's difficult as hell to hold down a day job and try to write in your spare time. I don't have the energy to do both.

I agree as well. Since I was put "at risk" of redundancy on Friday I may soon have a different excuse of being to busy trying to find a job and write. Hey ho, every cloud...

delboy

QuoteHate to say this, Del and Ed, but maybe you spend so much time reading and listening / watching author interviews and bios, etc that you've no time left over for your own writing.

Entirely possible, Geoff. In fact, entirely probable. Although I listen to these interviews on the IPOD whilst walking the dog.

Derek

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Nope, I don't even find the time to read lately, Geoff. I'm constantly tired. Don't even tend to watch TV.

Russel - good luck with the job situation. I hope it turns out well for you. As you say, every cloud. Sometimes it works out for the better. I lost my main client at the very beginning of the recession. I had 90% of my work from them for the best (actually the worst) part of fifteen years. Luckily, I walked straight into a new client base and I'm much happier now than I've been for as long as I can remember. It's more tiring, more hours, but much more rewarding in other ways.

Geoff_N

Quote from: delboy on June 13, 2010, 11:13:19 AM
Just had a very pleasant couple of hours chatting with Geoff over Guinness and coffee on the banks of the river Severn. We both cycled there from different directions. A top way to spend some time on a Sunday. What a fine fellow Geoff is - with plenty of excellent stories and experiences to recount, too. Nice one  :afro:

Derek
I missed this note from you, Del. Thanks, Bec, for pointing me to it. It was a good meeting wasn't it, Del. Worth the additional round trip of 20 miles after the 145 I'd done to reach Gloucestershire the day before.

Geoff

Caz

Bought myself a newish van this weekend. It drives well and looks pretty tidy so I'm pleased. Spent a few hours this afternoon trying to stop the tools from rolling around in the back, the thought of braking hard and being hit in the back of the head by a stray lump hammer is not appealing.
The only shock associated with the van was when I changed the insurance over. It's a 1.7 turbo, a hundred CCs less than my old car, but cost an extra ninety quid to insure. Think I'll be looking around for a better deal next year. 
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Ed

Good luck with that, Caz. Make sure you fit a bulkhead behind your seat if you're going to be carrying anything heavy. I talked with a guy backalong who was in an accident and would have been fine if he hadn't been carrying a cement mixer in the back of the van. It hit him through his seat in the middle of his spine and left him paraplegic. I've always been wary of that sort of thing since speaking to him.

Insurance companies always rip you off when you change vehicles. I think they must see pound signs in front of their eyes when you ring up and ask them to change your policy ::)

Rev. Austin

Moved in with my friend this weekend, and it feels great having my own space again.  She's recently refurbed the entire house with a bunch of fancy gadgets - my bedroom light is REMOTE-CONTROLLED!!!

It's a lovely day today, but I'm staying in to do some editing, and got a couple of stories to polish.  Does anyone know what the difference is between Word word count and Open Office word count?  Does one count hypens or something?  I remember someone saying so before but I've forgot.  I have a few stories that Open Office says are over the word count I'm aiming for but I'm not convinced  ;)
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.