gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 02:06:24 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589569 times)
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #1890 on: June 21, 2010, 09:16:17 AM »

Does anyone know what the difference is between Word word count and Open Office word count?  Does one count hypens or something?  I remember someone saying so before but I've forgot.  I have a few stories that Open Office says are over the word count I'm aiming for but I'm not convinced  Wink

Good afternoon, your Grace (your newly-liberated Grace)

My 'Word' programme counts dashes (not hyphens), so I tend to need to adjust the word count accordingly.

Er, and you could always test the word count on a new page with just a few written words.

DW Cheesy

digitaldeath
Coffin Maker

wired to alien life

« Reply #1891 on: June 21, 2010, 10:47:58 AM »

I failed maths, what exactly is a word count?
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1892 on: June 21, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »

DD, word count is a calculation performed by a word processing program such as MS Word or Open Office to determine the number of words in the document.

DW, you must have an old version of Word: they fixed that bug in newer versions and it now ignores dashes and hyphens, whether "plain" or "smart." Unfortunately, it still counts * separated by spaces as a word, so using *** for a section break causes the word count to go up by one for each instance.

Rev, sorry, I don't know anything about OO's word count algorithm, but I daresay you can find some additional words to cut.  rolleyes
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:04:47 AM by Pharosian » Logged
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1893 on: June 21, 2010, 11:19:12 AM »

Rev, sorry, I don't know anything about OO's word count algorithm, but I daresay you can find some additional words to cut.  rolleyes

Cheeky...but I like it hahah

Yeah I likely can.  One needs about 200 knocking off, which I reckon I can do, the other needs almost 900, but again I'm feeling confident...

Crikey it's hot today

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
digitaldeath
Coffin Maker

wired to alien life

« Reply #1894 on: June 21, 2010, 12:33:29 PM »

It must be the heat.
Either that or my humour is so dry people miss it.
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1895 on: June 21, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »

hahaha  grin

Your humour's so dry it gave me a rash! 

BOOM-TISH!

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1896 on: June 22, 2010, 02:58:53 AM »

Must confess to being a bit apprehensive about today's budget. Those of us in the UK have been being primed for a couple of weeks about how bad it's going to be, about how we're all going to be worse off, about how this government is going to tackle the deficit in one hit etc etc

Maybe it's lucky that all those unread books I mentioned in the Eddie Coyle thread are already on my shelf because I mightn't be buying any more! I suspect it's small magazines, publishers, small eating houses, small 'arty' businesses, small anything that's not essential that are going to find that they struggle the most. They won't have large enough customer bases to cover a huge drop in business, and I suspect a lot of people are going to be forced to tighten their belts if, for example, all the tax rises we've heard about do happen. I mean, VAT rising hits almost everything.

On the bright side, there is the world cup...

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1897 on: June 22, 2010, 03:02:29 AM »

Yes, it is frightening. We'll get through it, though. We always do, and after all it's only money, isn't it. I do have an impending feel of doom, though.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Caz
Critter

« Reply #1898 on: June 22, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »

On the bright side, there is the world cup...

Derek

Only if the real England team turn up.  scratch

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1899 on: June 25, 2010, 02:46:33 AM »

My son gets married tomorrow. He lives in Nottingham (near Rev A's girlfriend) but is getting married at Allington Manor, Grantham. Grantham is famous for the birthplace and family shops of PM Margaret Thatcher but more righteously for Isaac Newton. Last year I cycled to Nottingham from Chester but I've a feeling my coat tails might snag in the chain so we're driving over. Well, that's both our kids paired off and married. Just have to wait for the grandkids to grow up now. Life's cycle with its uphills and freewheels goes inexorably onwards.

Geoff

JonP
Critter

« Reply #1900 on: June 25, 2010, 03:13:23 AM »

Congrats, Geoff! Hope you have a wonderful day!

delph_ambi
« Reply #1901 on: June 25, 2010, 03:45:05 AM »

Very best wishes for tomorrow, Geoff. Have fun!
Bec
« Reply #1902 on: June 25, 2010, 03:51:58 AM »

Hope everything goes well for tomorrow, Geoff.  smiley

My son's off to his prom tonight. He looks so smart in his suit. Hope I don't cry when he goes off in the car. Seems like only yesterday he was trying to catch pigeons in the park.
delph_ambi
« Reply #1903 on: June 25, 2010, 03:57:00 AM »

Know the feeling, Bec. My son's celebrating achieving a degree in maths from UCL. How the heck my little tiny Tom, the baby of the family, can be a graduate, I don't know! *sniffles*
Bec
« Reply #1904 on: June 25, 2010, 04:05:56 AM »

Congrats to your son, Delph.  smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx