News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonP

delph_ambi

Thanks!

He's going to take his Chartered Accountancy exams over the next few years, but will undoubtedly end up doing something to do with computer programming, if I know Tom.

Geoff_N

Blimey that's three of us celebrating sons today / tomorrow. Good for your son, Delph and hope your son, Bec, has a great time.

Geoff

desertwomble

My son graduated from kindergarten - they even togged him up with a mortarboard and gown for the pics!

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

Rev. Austin

hahha congrats all round, I dare say!  :afro:

Got the day off, should really be doing some editing but since I haven't been able to do as much of this as I wanted so far this week, I think I'll pleasantly surprise my housemate and tidy up!
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Ed

Good news all round, then. Congrats, everybody :afro:

We're celebrating the Scout movement this weekend, for taking our sons camping and leaving us in peace for a whole two days. I've booked an hotel room for me and the missus tomorrow night, so we can have a slapup meal and a few drinks without having to drive home :cheers:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

Urgh - I watched the first twenty minutes of the England vs Germany match, but then decided I couldn't put myself through any more disappointment, so kept myself busy with other things. I think we're destined to never win the damn thing again. The score currently stands at 4-1 to Germany. Can't see that changing for the better by the end of the match. ::)
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

I'm completely avoiding football by actually doing some editing :D whilst I remember, can anyone tell me how time should be written?  Is it 4am,4 am, or 4 a.m. ?

Also starting to develop a hunchback - my chair is broken and stuck on the lowest setting so I have to hunch over when I'm typing  ::) it's like the chair is trying to stop me from writing...

Bec

I watched a bit of the match, until the goal-that-was-definitely-in-but-wasn't-allowed.  Then I couldn't bear to watch any more so went off to tweak a story.

Now I want Argentina to win, simply because Maradonna has promised to dance naked in the streets if they win.

Geoff_N

Damn, I wanted England to continue. Now the roads won't have that quiet two hours for us cyclists.

Son hitched to a wife yesterday in a small gathering in a seventeenth century manor house. Stayed for the weekend. Peaceful yet exciting; sound of grandchildren playing rather than the TV; I played a 150-year-old piano with a few bum notes; long chats into the balmy sunsets yet about nothing much. Could do with more weekends like that; I should have had more kids.

Geoff

Pharosian

Quote from: Rev. Austin on June 27, 2010, 12:48:41 PM
... whilst I remember, can anyone tell me how time should be written?  Is it 4am,4 am, or 4 a.m. ?

It's the last one you wrote: a.m. and p.m. should be lowercase, with periods, and be preceded by a space.

This site has lots of great information. The link is for the "t" section; scroll down to find "Time" but also check out some of the topics under other letters (provided at the top).

delph_ambi

Don't use the full stops if you're writing for the UK market, as they'll be seen as old-fashioned. 4am is correct here as a general rule, unless specified otherwise.

Geoff_N

The mainstream US publishers have also dropped using full stops (periods) for time and abbreviations such as Mr, Mrs, Dr, Rev. It tends to be the small press, newspapers, mags and a few diehards that keep on dotting.

Geoff

delboy

Football aside, that was a very pleasant weekend. Friday night got the worst of the chores out of the way (mowing the lawn, vacuuming,  etc,) leaving the weekend free to chill. Both Saturday and Sunday morning I went out for reasonable bike rides - Saturday's was to tackle a hill that early last eyar I couldn't get up, but now can manage it without even standing up on the bike. That said, I think the progression is to do with a different bike rather than any increase in fitness or ability. Sunday's ride was a flatter 30 mile recovery ride. Both were undertaken pretty early before the heat of the day. Had a couple of visits to garden centres for summer plants, baskets, and that sort of thing, and thence followed some hanging and some planting.

Watched the footie. Awful. Every England game has been awful. I've come to the conclusion that our players simply aren't world class. In the Premiership when they're 'fed' by world class players from all around the globe they score a lot of goals and look pretty good, but the reality is, without those overseas players doing all the opportunity-making they're nothing. We don't look comfortable on the ball, either. But the most annoying thing for me was our inability to attack at speed. Other teams, break out of defence and race forwards with one single intention, couple of passes, and bang, a pop at goal. We break out of defence, race towards the half-way line, and then stop, pause, knock a short pass backwards - backwards! I used to yell at the TV when Teddy Sheringham played for England because he was the worst culprit, but 8 years later we still do it. By the time we have all our team mates lined up, the opposition defence is lined up, too. Manchester United have a great talent for attacking at speed with a swiftness and decisiveness that nets them result after results. Often Rooney is on the end of such attacks... but for England, it's Stop. Pause. Look Around...

Anyway, that's probably 90% of my football watching done for the next 2 years when I'll retune in to see our much hyped attack on the European Championship.

Meanwhile it's back to work. But at least it's payday this week!

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Rev. Austin

Thanks for the info Pharo/Delph/Geoff  :afro:

Now I'm back doing my own food shopping again I thought I'd have a walk back from my local ASDA....completely ignoring the fact it's uphill all the way back home and I'd be carrying two heavy bags hahah those things and the heat have really wiped me out; I feel a bit pathetic :D not least because now I need a lie-down   :grin: