gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 11:11:42 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589783 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1920 on: June 29, 2010, 03:20:41 AM »

I watched a bit of tv last night, which I don't usually do. I saw 'The Haunting in Connecticut' was on the Sci-fi and Horror channel, so I sat down to watch it. Excellent film - very creepy. It revolves around a family that's down on their luck and have moved to rent this house because it's close to the hospital where their very sick teenage son is receiving treatment. He keeps seeing creepy things happening, but believes it's the medication, so he keeps quiet because the doctors will refuse treatment to anybody suffering hallucinations. Then another patient explains to him that he's seeing ghosts because they are in the valley of the shadow of death - so close to death themselves that they can see wandering spirits. I wish I had thought of that. What a great premise.

Some other great ideas in the film. Well worth seeing if you're a horror fan.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Bec
« Reply #1921 on: June 29, 2010, 03:28:10 AM »

Sounds good, Ed. I'll look out for that one.
digitaldeath
Coffin Maker

wired to alien life

« Reply #1922 on: June 29, 2010, 04:43:51 AM »

I need to watch more TV. In  my latest trilogy I use a similar premise, when we are close to death we see spectres of the dead. The hero finds a way to reveal them to a wider audience. If fear of punishment is greater than fear of death the evil dead appear and rip the villain's soul to shreds.
Damn those infiniite monkeys with Apple computers.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1923 on: June 29, 2010, 06:32:37 PM »

Got some new pics of my son's wedding at Arlington Manor near Grantham. Things such as cameras, suitcases, and sleeping children moved around mysteriously while we were there. I was told by a writer friend on UKAuthors.com that when she lived at Arlington there were ghosts in the manor. Ummm.

My fave pic is of my grandson, Oliver, learning the piano on my knee. It is near the bottom of this link http://www.geoffnelder.com/wedding/wedding.html 

Another pic catches me allegedly napping.

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1924 on: June 30, 2010, 02:29:34 AM »

Lovely pics, Geoff. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on getting another nipper wedded-off afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #1925 on: July 01, 2010, 06:27:04 AM »

I just got back from the Gulf of Mexico. We got lost a lot on the way back, so it took us about ten hours.  My wife wanted to spend her birthday wallowing in tar-balls in the wake of a hurricane. We plan all our vacations around oil spills. Beach cabins are cheaper when you can't go in the water. I'm very tired. On the up side I bought some nifty concrete sculptures of 6 of the deadly sins. They were out of gluttony for some reason. I wonder how many people come in and only buy their favorite sins. It was a cool place with lots of overgrown terraces and the torrential downpour made for a unique shopping experience. I'm going to bed now before my brain starts oozing out of my ears.

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1926 on: July 03, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »

Sounds like an interesting trip, fnord.

I'm stripping wallpaper - aarrggh. I hate decorating and would rather pay someone else to do it while I go for a bike ride, or even just clean my bike. Not only that but it is woodchip wallpaper with silk vinyl paint sealing it in. I've scored the paper, steamed it and scraped but it's taking far too long. I've reached the point where I'll pay almost anything for a magic solvent to remove it. Has anyone on CD any tips?

Geoff

delph_ambi
« Reply #1927 on: July 03, 2010, 11:25:42 AM »

That's a thankless task, Geoff. You'll end up thinking it would have been simpler to paper over the woodchip  rolleyes
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1928 on: July 03, 2010, 02:34:10 PM »

Not much of a tip, but if you add washing-up liquid to the water you soak the paper with it makes it penetrate deeper and slightly quicker. Make sure the water is hot, too. I used to sponge the wall with soapy water firtst, then put the steamer pad on one bit for twenty seconds or so, scrape that bit while I was steaming the next patch. It's a crap job, though, whichever way you look at it.

Caz
Critter

« Reply #1929 on: July 03, 2010, 03:17:19 PM »

I seem to remember picking up something in B&Q or a similar place that helped to strip wallpaper. I can't remember the name of it but it was a solvent that would be added to the water. As I recall it did help.

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1930 on: July 05, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »

Got my new iPhone4 today. I was quite looking forward to picking it up, but TBH it's not much better than the 3G I already had. The camera is a big improvement, that's for sure, but apart from that I see little difference. That's not a criticism or anything, because I'd still say hand on heart that the iPhone is the best phone/piece of technological kit I've ever had. Everybody I told about the new one asked what I was doing with the old one, because they wanted it. Amazing success story for Apple. Just goes to show that good design pays dividends.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1931 on: July 06, 2010, 03:12:03 AM »

Sometimes it feels like this latest generation of digital / web / mobile devices has bypassed me. I have the simplest mobile phone I can buy - literally the cheapest in the shop. My contract, which I've had for years, doesn't allow web access so I've never felt the need to go down that route. I think, one time, when I was out I wanted to know a rugby score. I could have used a web phone for that, but instead I phoned a friend and asked.

That iPad looks interesting, but what is it the ad says; thousands and thousands of apps? I can't think of one app I need. The books and music look interesting...but I already have more books and music than will fit into the rest of my life.

The boy links his X-Box to his laptop, and from there, the world. He plays games against people all over the world. That's neat, and I wish I understood it, but who, schoolboys aside, has time for playing games to that extent? I'd rather go fishing or cycling, to be perfectly honest.

I do feel a bit like a luddite - and I love the web, and the horizons it's opened - but the rest of it... I mean, there are professional musicians who plug their guitars into PCs, 'model' the famous amps and speakers and effects pedals of yesteryear through super-clever digital means, and then run the cable into the PA and away they go. You can buy the software for a few hundred quid or so and have access to almost every amp, speaker, effets combination that ever was. You could eat up an entire life just playing about with the possibilities. I plug my guitar straight into an old valve amp. Ten seconds. Job done.

No, I definitely feel like I'm missing out and am too rooted in the eighties, but I can't so far find a real reason to join the modern age in this regard.

Luddite Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #1932 on: July 06, 2010, 04:29:27 AM »

Oh, I am glad I'm not the only Luddite! My mobile cost me £3.95 from carphone warehouse. It's pay-as-you-go. I spend about a tenner every six months on topping it up. When my son had his i-phone nicked a while back (he was mugged for it) he replaced it with the same phone as mine. He's perfectly happy with it.

I have a digi camera, which I use a lot, but I prefer my old Pentax. Far more satisfying. My car doesn't have any sort of sound system or satnav. You wind down the windows, rather than pressing a button. Mind, it does have a proper windscreen washing system. I remember seeing someone driving along once, leaning out of his window and spraying the windscreen with a small water pistol. I don't do that. 
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1933 on: July 06, 2010, 04:57:44 AM »

The boy links his X-Box to his laptop, and from there, the world. He plays games against people all over the world. That's neat, and I wish I understood it, but who, schoolboys aside, has time for playing games to that extent?

*raises hand gingerly* I do  smiley I've met a load of cool people online this way, and managed to plug my writing to almost all of 'em haha just the other night I was playing a MMO on my PC (Massively Multiplayer Online game, for those not hip to the lingo  Wink ) and chatting to other people from all over the place on it, and made friends with some chap who loves zombie books, so he gave me his email and I've linked him to my site, and Bob's your Uncle, a new fan (I hope  azn ) - you can write a little 'bio' for yourself on Xbox Live, so mine's just another massive plug for my website and the sort of stuff I write.  Not sure how effective it actually is as a marketing tool but every now and again someone'll join a game I'm playing primarily to ask me about what I've wrote, so it must be working to some degree.  smiley

Found out before the weekend that the local council have to cut £3million worth of jobs (I think that's across all Lincolnshire though) and there was a meeting at my gallery about it.  I'm a little worried that, because I'm only a casual, I might be one of the first to go.  I'm hoping the fact that everyone I work with knows (and has said to me) that I'm the most reliable casual worker they have (ie practically never turns down shifts, and am up for doing anything - I even agreed to dress as the pied piper recently haha).  Plus, I was offered a different job there a few months ago but it seemed as if my friend got it instead (not her fault - she applied online before I even told her I was offered it) but now she's quitting it and has been dropping heavy hints that, maybe, they'd be better off offering it to someone who already works there, maybe even someone they'd already offered it to... azn

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1934 on: July 06, 2010, 05:37:42 PM »

I thought of you, RevA, when the news of cuts followed the Gen Election. Hope you survive the lacerations. Don't blame me, I voted Labour.

I'm a sucker for gadgets and have in a drawer a barely used iPaq that could get internet, ebooks (have a pre-published copy of Charles Stross's Accelerando on it - I showed it to him at a conference back in 2004 only for him to whip out his iPaq to show me his. He said he'd accept a copy of one of my stories but I don't know if he read it ).  The point is that the iPaq is in a draw - it was far too slow on the web and the screen too small to be useful to write or read books with. If anyone wants it for the cost of postage just drop me a PM. My son and son-in-law are programmers but prefer their phones and laptops.

I have one of those dead cheap Nokia 200 phones that never goes wrong. I can phone and txt but that's it. I want it to break so to have the excuse for a camera phone then my bike would be a bit lighter.

Geoff

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx