gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 05:49:03 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589068 times)
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #1980 on: July 17, 2010, 05:02:29 PM »

They boiled a pan of water and dropped them into it while the kids watched on. They seem to think it's funny

This is why therapy happens. I guess it depends on the kids and how messed up they are already. When I was a kid I had some goldfish and my mother dumped them over the porch because I didn't clean my room fast enough. She didn't tell me about it. She just replaced them with a flower arrangement and waited for me to ask. When I did ask what happened to my beloved fishies she told me what she did and included the detail that they flopped around in the dirt for hours before they died. Now she can't figure out why I don't come to visit.

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1981 on: July 18, 2010, 03:28:07 AM »

Well, here it is, almost 3:30 AM Eastern Time, and I'm sitting in a conference room with six of my co-workers. We were supposed to be doing a code deployment, but something went wrong with the database, and now we're waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for the replication to finish so we can verify that the system is still working and go home. Aarrgghh!
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1982 on: July 18, 2010, 03:58:39 AM »

Sounds very tedious, Pharo. I hope it sorts itself out and lets you go home soon afro

fnord - that's a really nasty thing for your mother to have done. You must have been gutted. I could never hurt my kids like that, and I couldn't kill the pet fish. Maybe I'm too soft for my own good, but I can't stand to see anything suffer unnecessarily. undecided

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1983 on: July 18, 2010, 04:49:54 AM »

My goldfish always received a burial at sea (down the toilet)  rolleyes

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delph_ambi
« Reply #1984 on: July 18, 2010, 05:03:06 AM »

My mother used to throw my favourite toys and books away because I'd "grown out of them", which was bad enough, but at least she never killed any of my pets to punish me for some minor misdemeanor. Some parents must live with their heads in a very peculiar place.
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1985 on: July 18, 2010, 05:24:08 AM »

One time my dad threw a bunch of my papers and things into the fireplace because I didn't keep my room clean, but other than that one time, the folks never did anything to traumatize me.

It's 5:23 and we're packing up to go home!  dance
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #1986 on: July 18, 2010, 06:05:36 AM »

Maybe you should keep some snails at work for that sort of situation. My wife is in the software business so I know how often that sort of thing happens. I would, but I think that snail racing is frowned upon by the health department. 

It's funny the types of things that don't traumatize kids though. I know a kid that's been watching Faces of Death and laughing at it since she was old enough to sit up. She's 13 now and seems more normal than most of her family. I remember one time when I was about 3 my grandfather got all excited about something and insisted on showing me some mystery thing. So, he put me in the car and drove me to the back of a carpet store where he lifted me up so that I could see this skinned deer carcass rotting in the summer sun. My parents saw what he was showing me and freaked out thinking that I was going to be all scared, but it didn't bother me at all. I was slightly confused as to why he wanted to show me that, but it didn't really effect me.

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Rook
Critter

« Reply #1987 on: July 18, 2010, 09:53:54 AM »

My grandmother ate (literally ate) my mother's pet frog 'Captain'... I am not joking. I don't think she had a reason, either. 

Thankfully, my mother did not pass on that family tradition.

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1988 on: July 18, 2010, 03:38:29 PM »

I can't imagine being that hungry scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rook
Critter

« Reply #1989 on: July 18, 2010, 07:35:01 PM »

You aren't a fan of french cooking then, Ed? tongue

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #1990 on: July 19, 2010, 02:43:28 AM »

Ah, so she cooked it first afro

I think it's just that old thing about being used to what your food looks like, and frog has never been on my list, especially if it happens to be a family pet. A guy I used to work with set up 'sticky poles' to catch small birds. He covered the sticks in seeds and fat, and loops of fishing line. The birds would naturally feed on the seeds and find themselves trapped in the little nooses. Then they'd get knocked on the head and chucked straight on the barbecue, unplucked, with the guts still in them. He eats them whole, head, beak, bones and all. Says they're nice and crunchy like that.

Sparrow isn't on my list either. Not while the supermarkets are selling normal food, anyway smiley

Bec
« Reply #1991 on: July 19, 2010, 03:39:19 AM »

That's put me right off my breakfast, Ed.   Shocked
Rook
Critter

« Reply #1992 on: July 19, 2010, 07:00:07 AM »

That's put me right off my breakfast, Ed.   Shocked

I quite agree.

You know, I might accept sparrow as food (I catagorize porkroll as food- doesn't  mean I'll eat it) but I find it difficult to imagine eating feathers and entrails... I insist all of my food be plucked and dressed.

grin

And yes Ed, my grandmother might have been a total nut job, but supposedly, she was an excellent cook.

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1993 on: July 25, 2010, 08:39:40 AM »

Rescued my (bloodstained) guitar, spare guitar, (bloodstained) vintage Casio synth, (beerstained) guitar fx board and sampler from my parent's loft recently.  My main guitar's gone a bit rusty, which saddens me, almost as much as the thought I haven't played it in about 18 months.  My instruments have seen a lot of (violent) action over the years, and it feels like blasphemy locking them away.  It's deeply annoying that I'm literally the only person in Scunthorpe who's into the sort of music that I am, so no-one wants to join a band with me, grrr!

Having said that, I'm going to give them a bit of a clean and start recording some new solo stuff, see what I can come up with!

Also working on the No More Heroes edits today, and a mock-up for the cover.  Does anyone happen to know any decent comic-book-style artists?

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #1994 on: July 25, 2010, 08:54:58 AM »

Okay, I'll bite. How is that your guitars came to get blood on them, and that the blood was left there to create stains?  scratch Pity about people not liking the music you do. What kind is that?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx