gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 12:16:30 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589538 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1995 on: July 25, 2010, 12:12:25 PM »

Rev - try http://www.artwanted.com/ they have a good community of artists looking for projects to get stuck into afro

Good luck with the solo career. Shame you can't get a band together. What are you into - thrash metal, punk, something like that?

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1996 on: July 25, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »

Industrial jazz!   rolleyes  I swear I'm not making that up  Wink I write a lot of industrial music on my own (and even got a 9/10 review of a solo album a few years ago on a top music site: http://drownedinsound.com/releases/4434/reviews/5452) but much prefer being in bands and playing live - I get rather exuberant with the "shredding", hence old bloodstains on my guitar (I never washed them off because they're like macabre 'trophies' of former gigs) although the stains on my synth are thanks to a friend I did a different band with - he ripped his fingers to bits on a guitar then played the synth and left his sticky prints all over the keys  rolleyes that band was me on drums and vox, and him on guitar and vox, and we were like a really chaotic White Stripes, but my main band (that technically is on hiatus) were/are a weird sort of mix of electronica, jazz, blues and dirge rock (I might as well plug that whilst I'm here haha http://www.myspace.com/blackjackketchumuk)

So now you know  smiley music has/had been my main passion for years, but when I moved back to Scunthorpe it got relegated to the backburner...but on the plus side I had more time to write!

And thanks for the link Ed!

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1997 on: July 25, 2010, 02:51:07 PM »

I play a bit of jazz... but I don't think it could be classfied as industrial. My type is more a throwback to the 40s, 50s, and early 60s.

I got blood stains on my Strat once in a while back in the day. This was from my right hand keep hitting the metal string saddles. I used to tear the heel of my hand up every gig. I used to wash the blood off after the gig though  Wink

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #1998 on: July 25, 2010, 03:01:56 PM »

I've obviously led a sheltered life. In all my years of playing professionally, I don't think I bled over an instrument once. I obviously wasn't trying hard enough. Mind, I used to nearly concuss myself every time I tried to access the pit at Darlington Civic theatre, which is notorious for knocking out musicians; and I certainly picked up fleas at Sunderland Empire. One of the theatres I was playing in burnt down halfway through the run, but none of us were in it at the time, thankfully. Still got payed for the full run. Hurrah for the Musicians Union!  cheers
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #1999 on: July 25, 2010, 07:24:25 PM »

I've obviously led a sheltered life. In all my years of playing professionally, I don't think I bled over an instrument once. I obviously wasn't trying hard enough.

Clearly, you utilise an actual technique Delph  Wink

It winds up a few of my more 'classically-trained' chums that I have a flagrant disregard for "proper" chord structures and all the rest of it  Wink my girlfriend is one of these, and she played piano in Black Jack Ketchum...every time I, or the bassist, said "for this bit, just go nuts and hit any old keys in the rough rhythm of the piece" she point-blank refused to hahahah until we recorded and the producer agreed with us so we bullied her into it  grin

Mind you, I've never nearly knocked myself out at a venue nor picked up fleas grin

And Del, I honestly love old, really old jazz, both listening to and sampling, but the guy below (JG Thirlwell ) takes jazz and turns it into something cinematic and menacing (for this project; his main one, Foetus, is actually industrialised)...

[how do you embed video on this forum?]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:26:57 PM by Rev. Austin » Logged

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2000 on: July 27, 2010, 04:07:31 AM »

I've just been counting weeks on my calendar and have come to the startling conclusion that there are less weeks until Christmas than there have been since I last had a week off.  No wonder I feel tired and jaded and am struggling to get motivated. Meanwhile the rest of the household are just rolling over, snuggling down, and enjoying the first of their five or six weeks off (or in the case of the eldest, enjoying about the eighth week of her sixteen weeks or so off). Grrrr. Hey ho - after this week I'm taking a fortnight off. Might take everyone down to Cornwall or Devon or might not. Depends on availability of various things. Might just have a lie-in, do some writing, fishing, cycling, guitar-playing, reading, catch up on some long-awaited DVDs, and let the lawn grow as long as it cares to.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2001 on: July 27, 2010, 05:02:43 AM »

That sounds like a capital idea, Del old boy  Wink My housemate's got the week off so she can make a start on her jungle of a garden, and I'm only doing a couple of shifts this week so offered my services.  So far, she's been quite happy to potter about on her own, and I feel like a maniac every time I go "Are you SURE you don't want a hand?  I'm only watching Bargain Hunt" "No, I'm fine"  "Are you SURE?"  grin

And I just realised what the date is so I'm going to send off my MAB story before I forgot!

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2002 on: July 27, 2010, 10:44:01 AM »

This morning I read a short story by a friend of mine, and had the thought that it would be perfect for the Cafe Doom contest... then it occurred to me that I haven't heard anything, and it seems like it would be time to start organizing it if it were going to be held again this year. So I searched for the thread started by Ed last year asking if he should hold another comp, and I note that the topic was started on July 16. We're not quite two weeks past that date, so I thought I'd ask: Is there going to be a "Cafe Doom 6th Anniversary Contest" this year?
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2003 on: July 27, 2010, 01:57:43 PM »

Funny you should say that, Pharo, but I've been thinking about it over the past few days and considering who I could ask to partner us this year. I hadn't realised just how much the time was creeping on, though. Must get things sorted before it's too late, otherwise there won't be one. Thanks for the reminder smiley

BTW, while we're on the subject, does anybody have any suggestions to make regarding the 2010 comp, assuming it goes ahead? Any input, as per usual, will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:05:12 PM by Ed » Logged

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Russell
Grave Digger

« Reply #2004 on: July 27, 2010, 03:40:19 PM »

after this week I'm taking a fortnight off. Might take everyone down to Cornwall or Devon or might not. Depends on availability

Good luck delboy.  I'm off for 2 weeks at the end of August and we fancied Cornwall for us and the children (very much young adults).  There was very little in the way of cottages when I looked at the weekend.  The last thing I want is 2 weeks at home!

Russell
(Darn my 'R' key has fallen off again.) Sad
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:42:10 PM by Russell » Logged
jingold
Critter

« Reply #2005 on: July 27, 2010, 04:55:54 PM »

BTW, while we're on the subject, does anybody have any suggestions to make regarding the 2010 comp, assuming it goes ahead? Any input, as per usual, will be greatly appreciated.

Are you looking for potential magazines to publish the winner?  If the contest doesn't have to be horror-based, then what about BULL SPEC?  They're a newish spec fic market, pro-paying and the editor is very friendly.  Seems really active in promoting his magazine too, so this might appeal to him. smiley

Anyone can download the first two issues right now for free.  Link: www.bullspec.blogspot.com
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2006 on: July 27, 2010, 05:22:57 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've approached one magazine so far, and have already heard back from the head honcho, who says he likes the idea but has to consult with his staff before they can make a firm decision. I think they'll be a great publication to team up with, so I hope they come back with a favourable decision.

I would like to keep the competition horror/dark fiction based, as that's the genre I like to read and write in, but I won't rule out anything just yet. Sometimes tangents can be interesting smiley

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2007 on: July 27, 2010, 05:34:21 PM »

Hey, Del, I drove past your home township of Quedgeley, Gloucester yesterday. By satnav mistake in an attempt to get to Cheltenham from our hotel - the Ramada country hotel at Robinswood Hill. Dreadful treatment of vegan so I can't recommend the hotel though the maid service was delicious Wink

Geoff

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2008 on: July 27, 2010, 05:57:41 PM »

Talking of vegetarian things... a Canadian relative is coming to us for dinner on Thursday evening, and she's vegetarian. What we had planned was for me to cook a mushroom risotto, to be followed by a pavlova by the missus, and a cheese board if anybody fancies it.

Does that sound alright, or do you think it'll be too boring for her? I had wondered about doing something different, but I'm not sure what to do for a vegetarian. I don't know much about it. scratch

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2009 on: July 27, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »

Haha. Don't worry, Ed. Sounds great. Most veggies like me don't expect any special treatment and any effort at all is much appreciated.

Geoff.

PS I've had my first whisky for a week so excuse speling errors

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx